cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breakthrough For Many Issues: 'UserModePowerService'

DNACowboy
Adventurer
Remember our friend '[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175
' ??

If users check Windows Event Viewer and select 'Windows Logs/System' they will discover numerous messages referring to 'Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:3556) reset policy scheme from {*****************************} to {******************************}

qmol81lzrjic.jpg

This is a deliberate decision by the developers in how OR configures the power for the headset, essentially, a combination of Windows and the hmd are constantly resetting the power policy to protect the life of the lens and save energy, unfortunately for us this causes many of the 'driving me crazy' disconnection issues. Now, Windows should not constantly be resetting power policy in reference to any device but (under instruction from the OR software) the OS does esp in Windows 7, 8 and 10, when that happens you can guarantee HDMI or Sensor disconnects.

So, with this in mind what we are going to do is force Windows to set one power policy and keep it, thereby preventing the vast majority of 'HDMI and usb sensor disconnects'

Go into your Windows power option settings and select 'High Performance', then 'advanced' and look for the USB settings, change 'Sleep mode' from enabled to Never.
2: In the Run Box bar type 'cmd', a window will appear, in that window type: POWERCFG -LIST
If you look you will see the different power plans listed and the one you just set called 'high performance'  with an asterisk next to it (indicating that this power plan is active) right click and copy the GUID (that series of numbers associated with the high performance setting) ) line, open notepad and paste, then save it somewhere on your desktop. 

Use-Specific-Power-Plan

3:  In the run box type: gpedit.msc, this opens the Local Group Policy Editor which will force windows to keep the performance plan that the Rift MUST have i order to work correctly.

Prevent Store Apps From Pinning To Start Screen When Installed Enable disable Load Sites And Content In The Background policy in Internet Explorer 11

In the left pane, navigate here:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Power Management

Specify a custom active power plan

4. In the right pane of the window shown above, double click Specify a custom active power plansetting which is Not Configured by default to get this:

Use-Specific-Power-Plan-2

5. In the above shown window, firstly click Enabled and then in the Options section, input the Custom Active Power Plan (GUID) as we copied from step 1. Click Apply followed by OK. You may close the Local Group Policy Editor now. 

6: When you go back into Power Options you should see this:

i6l08hvh512p.jpg

Finally, if you go back into Event Viewer and select 'Windows Logs/System' you should see:

4xvn6hfqlus7.jpg

See the top one?

(Also, note underneath the top one you can see OR Home is resetting the power policy every three seconds, no wonder people are getting hdmi and sensor disconnects!)

After this, you should never see a single error associated with 'UserModePowerService'

Source:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/specify-custom-active-power-plan-windows

edit. Asmedia have released a new usb driver in the lsat couple of weeks, I installed them and the problem remains if you allow Windows OS and Oculus software to constantly reset the power policy. I recommend the above policy to force Oculus Home to stop resetting and causing disconnects.

Who is John Galt?
80 REPLIES 80

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer

Well that is interesting.

Albeit it does not explain why some people have no disconnects at all, how apparently software can have an impact on this and how some of the apparently successful workarounds may work and why we have two types of disconnect issues, the HMD and the sensor, which again do not occur for everybody.

For instance, I had HMD disconnects on the innatek card but not anymore since running the HMD from asmedia.

People also observe varying frequence of (sensor) disconnects depending on the running software. How can the HMD work fine in Oculus home but fail when applications are started? For me it was even one particular experience (using starforce copy protection) that *caused* sensor disconnects which never happened before or after (reported in separate post).

Don't know if that together with the powerplan resetting makes sense to an engineer.

However, if it does, I hope that could be fixed on Oculus side - stop resetting powerplan every few seconds. So users shouldnt be requiered to install a custom plan as descriped above.

Also people complained from day one about oculus messages flooding the windows event viewer. Maybe someone should just have an eye on that.

Greets.

NeoEdo
Expert Protege
I've been very curious about this. I noticed the errors in the event log and knew SOMETHING was trying to switch the power plan unsuccessfully.

Thank you for the info and clarification, DNACowboy!!

My replacement Rift should arrive on Wednesday (bad shipping timing with the Labor Day weekend, hahaha. Would've received it sooner, I'm sure.). In the event this continues to occurs (the disconnects); at least we now have an idea of what is causing it. B)

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer

DNACowboy said:

... wifi controllers are well-known to cause hardware conflicts with the Rift.

Excuse me, what?!  Seems not to be too well known, thats first I hear about it. Also there is no (in-)compatibility list for wifi controllers that I know of nor is the wifi controller part of the Oculus compatibility checker.

The more components seem to interfere with the rift, the more hilarious becomes the determination of system wide rift compatibility.

I hope Oculus can find solutions to get the Rifts periphals more robust and less affected by those things.

Cheers

VonTornefeld
Protege

DNACowboy said:

Excuse me, what?!  Seems not to be too well known, thats first I hear about it.

Strange right ?

XMerc
Expert Protege
Ok guys...I have 5 different USB 3.0 cards (one is actually a USB 3.1 card), I have tried ALL of them and they all either have disconnect issues or do not work at all. These are with Fresco, Renases, VIA, ASMedisa controllers. The VIA and Renases did not work with the sensor at all but did with the head unit. The ASMedia and Fresco both work with the sensor and Head Unit but both have the same disconnect problems. The Asmedia i'm using is actually a USB 3.1 card that delivers even more power to the sensor than the Inateck USB 3.0 card does. So it can't be a hardware issue as none of the USB 3.0/3.1 cards work. And they work just fine with my other devices like mouse,keyboard, etc. This IS a software/firmware conflict either with Oculus or Windows and i'm leaning towards the Oculus software. We need a fix for this as it's exhausting constantly getting disconnect issues...BTW as noted before some apps cause disconnects more frequently than others. Currently I use the Oculus Video app to test as it provides the most disconnect problems that I have seen.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Asmedia isn't supported... Actually it's known to have problems back in the day as well with drivers and disconnect issues as well. If you are using a Asmedia USB, it could very well be a hardware issue in that case. 

As for working with USB mouse/keyboard - they don't require a huge rate to work fine with. Actually, a small disconnect could happen fast enough that the system wouldn't know thinking it's just lag from the mouse data flow. With data on the other hand, it can be really super touchy.

XMerc
Expert Protege
Fresco is supported though. I've spent over 12 hours testing various cards, fixes, etc. and I can come to no other conclusion at this point other than a software/driver conflict with the Oculus hardware.

Chairmanchuck
Explorer
I also have the HDMI issue and its unbearable.
Anyone knows what these mistakes mean:

07/09 17:38:29.698 {!ERROR!} [HW:Health] 
LED state change unverified after 2 tries, will try again...

07/09 17:38:29.693 {!ERROR!} [HW:Health] 
[HMD::setLEDMode] Failed to get Tracking Report.

07/09 17:38:29.686 {!ERROR!} [OAFInterface] 
GetHMDInfo: USB Host Info was not available

07/09 17:37:53.346 {!ERROR!} [Registry] 
Failed to read selected Oculus default language tag.

07/09 17:34:59.288 {!ERROR!} [HAL:CommOcusbvid] 
WMTD302Q5000L4: 
SetVideoControlData:
  Req   : SET_CUR
  UnitId: 4
  CS    : 3
  Length: 4
  Data:
      a0 00 00 00 
  --> Status: ffffe0b1

07/09 17:34:59.288 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] 
CallDriver: Camera device gone

07/09 17:33:14.706 {!ERROR!} [OAFInterface] 
GetHMDInfo: USB Host Info was not available

07/09 17:26:32.838 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] 
[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175

07/09 17:25:29.480 {!ERROR!} [OAF ERROR] 
..\..\..\AppTracker\AppTracker.cpp(134) : Unexpected exit (1971039)

And Oculus still doesnt want to replace the unit, since I ordered from Amazon.com as a European....

DNACowboy
Adventurer

DNACowboy said:

Excuse me, what?!  Seems not to be too well known, thats first I hear about it.

Strange right ?

According to developers if you use wifi on the 2.4 band you can get interference with the rift tracking. 

https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/38173/stuttering-when-using-cv1-the-first-time-after-...

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4eg5vg/cv1_setup_nightmare/?st=ist3u2ym&sh=6f274917

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4dojx3/wifi_interference_from_cv1/?st=ist3r7w1&sh=cfae9ab2

Who is John Galt?

Chairmanchuck
Explorer
So. I just did a clean install of W10, still having the issue. It must be a hardware issue right, if the Oculus worked correctly without any issues at the beginning of August, right?