cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS4 Pro Announced - 4K/VR/HDR Ready £349 November 10th 2016 release

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Sony has today announced that its PS4 Slim will release on September 15th at the price of £249 in the UK. However, the main news from their Playstation Meeting is the arrival of the PS4 Pro (previously known as Neo). It will offer double the GPU power of the original PS4, a boosted clock rate and a 1TB HDD. The console which will run alongside existing PS4 consoles will support 4K, HDR gaming with titles such as Call of Duty Infinite, Horizon Until Dawn and many more. It will also boost the capabilities of playing on 1080p displays. Aside from tailored apps such as a new Netflix and Youtube app which will support 4K all current PS4s will receive a firmware update to support HDR. The big news is the PS4 Pro will cost $399/£349 USD and releases on November 10th 2016. Expect these to sell out instantly.

Obviously for PS VR this is good news but the cost of entry  is now £700 for the PS4 Pro and PS VR headset. 

c9ub48lbmwg2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11XjMplfTd4

Specs:

Body specification

• Main processor
    Single-chip custom processor 
    CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores 
    GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon ™ based graphics engine
  • memory
    GDDR5 8GB
  • hard disk
    1TB × 1 ※ 1
  • External dimensions
    About 295mm × 55mm × 327mm (width × height × depth) 
    (Not including maximum projection)
  • mass
    About 3.3kg
  • Optical drive (read-only)
    BD 6-speed CAV 
    DVD 8 speed CAV
  • Input and output
    Super-Speed ​​USB (USB 3.1 Gen1) port × 3 
    AUX port × 1
  • communication
    Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) 
    IEEE 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac 
    Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
  • Power supply
    AC 100V, 50 / 60Hz
  • Power consumption
    Up to 310W
  • Operating environment temperature
    5 ℃ - 35 ℃
  • AV output
    HDMI® output terminal (4K / HDR output) 
    Optical digital output terminal

Gameplays 4K:

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
48 REPLIES 48

Arock387
Heroic Explorer

For 1080p display gaming the PS4 Pro Supersamples to achieve better looking visuals. Also its 4K isn't native in a number of instances or if it is it's not running games at the same level as Ultra Settings on PC. My GTX 1080 only just maintains 30 FPS @ 4K using Ultra Settings in Deus Ex Mankind Divided for example so the PS4 with 4Tflops isn't going to come close.

really?  I use a GTX980 and I'm playin it 2160p and get a better frame.  granted I have some settings turned down like shadows and some other stuff that didn't make a difference.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you have a high res monitor, watch this video on the full quality 2160P60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwI6-jKlsO0

I watched it on my 4K TV and it really looked just about as good as native 4K PC games (minus some obvious loss from YouTube compression). Assuming Sony didn't cheat, and the video was recorded in real-time from a PS4 Pro, this is a good sign that the hardware can handle it. I would guess there are some tricks happening, but it still looks great in my opinion.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

shadowfrogger
Heroic Explorer
It won't be 60fps in 4k for most games, it won't even be 30fps in 4k on high settings. But playing 4k games on your tv at a price of $399 is currently awesome value. Espeically if you haven't jumped into this current generation(which a lot of people haven't). I just wish there was a 4th graphical option, a solid 60 fps with as high res as possible. Freesync I hear is coming to some tvs. I wonder if a firmware update could be possible
Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website! http://www.gaming-disorder.com/

jim1174
Protege

Also rumours that our lovely Rifts will work on the Scorpio, although I don't know if that's official? 

Forza/Rift  racing heaven for me.

i own an xbox one and was not planning on getting a scoprio but if this rumor is true i will just have to sell my xbox one and get the scorpio

Conan
Expert Protege
Whats all this 4k talk? Its UHD, 4k is a cinema standard with a higher resolution to accommodate for a wider image

Hodders67
Protege
Still think they have shot them selves in the foot not having a UHD Blue-ray. Unless you download uncompressed films to the HDD it will be as crap as Netflix is for UHD content. There's a big difference between Netflix UHD and UHD Blu-ray. Also people that have limited internet bandwidth will struggle downloading and streaming UHD material.

Conan
Expert Protege
I have always used dedicated player's, I had three bluray players in my home theater before they started making them with region switching

I also despise streaming, it looks horrendous on a four meter screen (particularly with the crap net we have in Aus)

So I have a few thousand blu's and dvds, even some film prints. Yet to make the jump to UHD though

All that aside, im about as likely to buy a new PlayStation as I was any other console of the past 15 years

The death of Sega was it for me

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
How come nobody here has mentioned the optical sound? Apparently there's no optical out with PS4 pro either? Does anyone else here use optical out for sound like me with their current PS4 or PC? etc?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I absolutely won't be buying one of these. I have a PS4 which I paid almost £500 (granted, I got a game, extra controller, camera etc. bundled) for less than three years ago.

You buy a console because you know it's going to have a long shelf life. 6 years plus. You buy ONE piece of hardware and (peripherals aside), that's it. All you need to buy is the games.

If they're going to bring one out every three years (and you can bet that if this is a success, the next one will be out even quicker), then I'm just going to move completely back to PC gaming and spend the console money on PC upgrades.

Conan
Expert Protege
Optical audio? Thats been obsolete since hdmi, TOSLINK doesnt have the bandwidth to carry modern lossless standards beyond 2 channel stereo