New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew and Touch concerns

MeioJoMeioJo Posts: 167
edited September 2016 in General
I am really looking forward to Star Trek: Bridge Crew but if Touch is required I'm not going to be happy at all for 2 reasons.

1. Touch being pushed back potentially delays Bridge Crew's release date if it is tied to it.

2. I'm in general not happy if games are not giving options to people who don't get a Touch... the Touch is not packaged with the Rift so is not standard. Programing for a controller that is an 'extra' is not going to go well. ie. no driving game has ever been made to only work with a wheel controller.

This whole Touch debacle with it being released so long after the head set has put me off of the whole thing in general.

I will actually not purchase Star Trek: Bridge Crew on release if it requires Touch but will wait for some sale... perhaps next summer sale (and some used Touch on ebay.)

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,013 Valuable Player
    edited September 2016
    Star Trek: Bridge Crew is being developed by Ubisoft, not Oculus Studios
    https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/game/star-trek-bridge-crew/

As far as requirements go...

In order to post on an online forum, you're required to have an electronic device and an Internet connection. In order to play an online Virtual Reality based game, you're required to have: an electronic device, an Internet connection, and a VR Headset. So far we're okay.

Now... in order to play Ubisoft's VR Hand Controller Online video game, you're required to have: an electronic device, an Internet connection, VR Headset, and Hand Controllers. And now the requirements have gone too far? lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dodkronickillerdodkronickiller Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    ya u want ubisoft to take time with their games
    i dont think they ever had a good launch lol
    thank god i played division for the 1st couple weeks cuz after that omg it was kraptastic
  • MeioJoMeioJo Posts: 167
    Zenbane said:
    Star Trek: Bridge Crew is being developed by Ubisoft, not Oculus Studios
    https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/game/star-trek-bridge-crew/

As far as requirements go...

In order to post on an online forum, you're required to have an electronic device and an Internet connection. In order to play an online Virtual Reality based game, you're required to have: an electronic device, an Internet connection, and a VR Headset. So far we're okay.

Now... in order to play Ubisoft's VR Hand Controller Online video game, you're required to have: an electronic device, an Internet connection, VR Headset, and Hand Controllers. And now the requirements have gone too far? lol
    You seem to be glossing over the "requirement" potentially being for a controller that has no release date...

Potentially being for just 1 controller and not the one that actually comes with the headset...

Fanboys will just be fanboys I guess ;)
    edited September 2016
    Trolls must be trolls I guess.

Everyone knows that Touch is scheduled for release in October. If you need an exact day in October to feel comfortable about a game that isn't coming out til the end of November, then you need to study the concept of Time before complaining online.

You should also be directing your complaints to Ubisoft.
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane

Without doing any research at all on Star Trek Bridge crew - and using my imagination only as to what this game might be... Can I just get in first and call dibs on '7 of 9' ?

ty

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
    It's amazing how people think that spewing sunshine a lollypop lies to promote something makes them not trolls LMAO

http://www.roadtovr.com/as-touch-launch-approaches-oculus-affirms-we-dont-believe-gamepads-are-going-away/

So they might announce something in October and you Yahoos think that means an October release.

It's amazing how people will spew a google result as though it gives sunshine and lollypops, and consider themselves insightful LMAO

There is a very real reason why everyone knows that October is the release date. But I aint gonna tell ya what that is, bubsey.
  • hmh1hmh1 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited September 2016
    I don't think Xbox controller thing survive. All games Vr will be released to 3 platforms oculus, vive and PSVR two of them have mandatory controller, most oculus people will buy touch. Forget about Xbox controller.
    Zenbane said:
    It's amazing how people will spew a google result as though it gives sunshine and lollypops, and consider themselves insightful LMAO

There is a very real reason why everyone knows that October is the release date. But I aint gonna tell ya what that is, bubsey.
    Hey look Shill of the Week gets a trophy.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    MeioJo said:

2. I'm in general not happy if games are not giving options to people who don't get a Touch... the Touch is not packaged with the Rift so is not standard. Programing for a controller that is an 'extra' is not going to go well. ie. no driving game has ever been made to only work with a wheel controller.

IMO, this is why Oculus screwed up massively by not including (for whatever reason) Touch at launch. Motion controllers contribute hugely to the immersion of a VR game. Yes, I'm speaking from a Vive perspective, but opinion seems to be that Touch will be at least as good, if not better than the Vive wands. 

Sure, Lucky's Tale etc. is fine with a joypad, but most VR games work so, SO much better with motion controls. You guys are missing out, and I'm really sorry to hear that people like MeioJo (no disrespect intended) consider Touch to be an extra rather than pretty much an essential.
  • Hodders67Hodders67 Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    id rather Oculus get the controllers right before releasing them. I have no issues playing VR games with my controller, My HOTAS setup and my steering wheel and pedals.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,894 Valuable Player
    notsram said:
    MeioJo said:

IMO, this is why Oculus screwed up massively by not including (for whatever reason) Touch at launch. Motion controllers contribute hugely to the immersion of a VR game. Yes, I'm speaking from a Vive perspective, but opinion seems to be that Touch will be at least as good, if not better than the Vive wands. 

Sure, Lucky's Tale etc. is fine with a joypad, but most VR games work so, SO much better with motion controls. You guys are missing out, and I'm really sorry to hear that people like MeioJo (no disrespect intended) consider Touch to be an extra rather than pretty much an essential.
    I agree. I feel I haven't experienced the full VR experience because of missing touch controllers.

But Elite Dangerous with HOTAS and Project Cars with wheel and pedals are great on the Rift. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    edited September 2016
    I agree that it's annoying that the touch does not come with the Oculus Rift (yet) but why should that stop you from getting Bridge Crew?  I mean if you can afford a computer that supports the Rift and already own a Rift and the reviews for the game are great why would the controllers not coming by default stop you?  Did you already get in the queue for the controllers?  I know I did the day I pre-ordered the Rift. 

I think it's mostly enthusiasts buying the Rift and Vive with enough disposable incomes to afford the controllers as well and who love buying this stuff.  Obviously it would have better if they came with them at the same time but Oculus was not ready.  Vive is ahead because Oculus got much of their tech from Valve.  However, Oculus has done a better job with the design of the headset in general. From what I have read the Rift is better for long term usage (I mean e.g. playing a game continuously for hours).  Once the controllers come out I think Oculus will have the advantage and it will be much more expensive to fix the Vive because it will require a new headset. 

So I think Oculus made the right choice in optimizing the headset before the release of the controllers and making the controllers great later. I think Oculus is going to put on an awesome show at Oculus Connect in October and really dazzle. They are one of the stars in the tech world right now. I think everyone who is happy with their Rift is going to want the controllers even more and there will be some great games and applications to go along with the controllers. Even people who lost some interest will become interested again.  Just wait a month or two.

But I'm mostly going with a gut feeling.
    edited September 2016
    zboson said:
    So I think Oculus made the right choice in optimizing the headset before release of the controllers and making the controllers great later. I think Oculus is going to put on an awesome show at Oculus Connect in October and really dazzle. They are one of the stars in the tech world right now. I think everyone who is happy with their Rift is going to want the controllers even more and there will be some great games and applications to go along with the controllers. Even people who lost some interest will become interested again. 
    Pretty much nailed it!

Star Trek isn't going to be released until the end of November; yet people are saying that right now, today, (i.e., before November), Oculus somehow messed up by not having Touch available... for a game that isn't out yet? lol

If Ubisoft hits their deadline and manages to be bug free, then it will be a breakthrough for that company. Defect ridden releases is their forte: https://www.google.com/#q=ubisoft+release+bugs

That's the part that is a bit ironic in this particular discussion. Here we have a company like Ubisoft who doesn't take enough time to release relatively defect-free software, and some people think that Oculus should rush out their Touch release before ensuring... it is defect free.

If Ubisoft took a page from Oculus' book then they would have a chance of turning themselves around when it comes to consumer confidence with their products.