cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standing experience

CHE
Explorer
Hello, i still dont have my CV1 but im curious of how much can i walk with 1 camera?
15 REPLIES 15

Warbloke
Superstar

You can lean forward / back and to the side / crouch down and maybe take 1 step in any direction.

When you set it up, theres like a circle it shows you when you look down, and it shows you the area you can move within and be seen

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

benplace
Rising Star
If you put the camera up high pointing down at you I have been able to walk in any direction almost as far as the cord allows

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

CHE said:

Hello, i still dont have my CV1 but im curious of how much can i walk with 1 camera?

To the end of the cable and depending on positioning of the sensor.  Good positioning sensor you've got about 3-4 meters from your PC.

Trytiped
Adventurer
Currently you really cant walk anywhere with CV1, youll be able to as soon as touch comes out. But what you can do is have some really amazing experiences, my favorite as of yet is with Altspace VR and Minecraft VR. The CV1 does have the capability to let you walk but I have yet to see any current applications that utilize anything more then just leaning forward atm. (I would also highly recommend an hdmi extension assuming it works.)

n3cr0-0
Adventurer
      I disagree with Trytiped. I find I can step around quite freely in my set up and my biggest obstacle is the cord; sometimes that cord is wrapped around me to the bitter end and say i want to look 10 degrees to the left in some scenarios I have to spin around 350 degrees to the right just to get there.
      Also dashing in any direction (even just a step) runs risk of failing over furniture or running up to my computer or my displays (yes I am really getting that much into Damaged Core ).

With that being said the amount of immersion this element has brought to my game is just simply unreal, the game seems to let me walk and duck behind obstacles like Warbloke has mentioned, I just seem to get two decent steps in any direction before the cord shortens up, You definitely want to stay somewhat close to the center of the playing field.
      If you are day dreaming about standing up with your cv1 to play the games then I say you are in for a real treat!

P.S. Look into some touch titles that are supposed to be coming out soon, I myself am looking really forward to 'Dead and Buried'.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I was able to take many steps with my Rift while playing "Edge of Nowhere." Some games have the code written to create boundaries around the player, so no matter how far you walk the game adjusts. But that is a limitation of the application, not the Rift.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd say the biggest obstacle you guys will face won't be the cable, it'll be the boundaries of whatever play area you have. Moving around in VR is very disorientating. You may know at the start of the play session that you're in the middle of the room facing your computer, but as soon as you start moving around, you'll have no idea which way you're facing or where in the room you are. Rift doesn't have anything like chaperone to stop you banging into walls, furniture, etc, so clear the absolute largest space that you can.

Warbloke
Superstar

The cable is the only thing that keeps us safe  !

ev4nu24auf5y.gif

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I am able to fully walk around the entire room that I have my Rift in pretty well - the tracking seems pretty stable even when facing away from the sensor and over 8ft away from it - I imagine a 2nd sensor that comes with Touch will help that out quite a bit. It also sounds like Oculus is developing a chaperone system which could help a bit. My experience with the CV1 so far has been pretty much full room scale - many games and experiences allow you to take as many steps in any direction that you want to, and I prefer to play about everything standing up. Believe it or not, I am down 23 pounds since I got my Rift. (I've also been a diet - but I don't spend nearly as many hours sitting on my ass playing games as I used to, with Rift I am moving a little bit constantly for hours!)