cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star Trek: Bridge Crew and Touch concerns

MeioJo
Expert Protege
I am really looking forward to Star Trek: Bridge Crew but if Touch is required I'm not going to be happy at all for 2 reasons.

1. Touch being pushed back potentially delays Bridge Crew's release date if it is tied to it.

2. I'm in general not happy if games are not giving options to people who don't get a Touch... the Touch is not packaged with the Rift so is not standard. Programing for a controller that is an 'extra' is not going to go well. ie. no driving game has ever been made to only work with a wheel controller.

This whole Touch debacle with it being released so long after the head set has put me off of the whole thing in general.

I will actually not purchase Star Trek: Bridge Crew on release if it requires Touch but will wait for some sale... perhaps next summer sale (and some used Touch on ebay.)

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

MeioJo said:

2. I'm in general not happy if games are not giving options to people who don't get a Touch... the Touch is not packaged with the Rift so is not standard. Programing for a controller that is an 'extra' is not going to go well. ie. no driving game has ever been made to only work with a wheel controller.

IMO, this is why Oculus screwed up massively by not including (for whatever reason) Touch at launch. Motion controllers contribute hugely to the immersion of a VR game. Yes, I'm speaking from a Vive perspective, but opinion seems to be that Touch will be at least as good, if not better than the Vive wands. 

Sure, Lucky's Tale etc. is fine with a joypad, but most VR games work so, SO much better with motion controls. You guys are missing out, and I'm really sorry to hear that people like MeioJo (no disrespect intended) consider Touch to be an extra rather than pretty much an essential.

Hodders67
Protege
id rather Oculus get the controllers right before releasing them. I have no issues playing VR games with my controller, My HOTAS setup and my steering wheel and pedals.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

notsram said:

MeioJo said:

IMO, this is why Oculus screwed up massively by not including (for whatever reason) Touch at launch. Motion controllers contribute hugely to the immersion of a VR game. Yes, I'm speaking from a Vive perspective, but opinion seems to be that Touch will be at least as good, if not better than the Vive wands. 

Sure, Lucky's Tale etc. is fine with a joypad, but most VR games work so, SO much better with motion controls. You guys are missing out, and I'm really sorry to hear that people like MeioJo (no disrespect intended) consider Touch to be an extra rather than pretty much an essential.

I agree. I feel I haven't experienced the full VR experience because of missing touch controllers.

But Elite Dangerous with HOTAS and Project Cars with wheel and pedals are great on the Rift. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

zboson
Superstar
I agree that it's annoying that the touch does not come with the Oculus Rift (yet) but why should that stop you from getting Bridge Crew?  I mean if you can afford a computer that supports the Rift and already own a Rift and the reviews for the game are great why would the controllers not coming by default stop you?  Did you already get in the queue for the controllers?  I know I did the day I pre-ordered the Rift. 

I think it's mostly enthusiasts buying the Rift and Vive with enough disposable incomes to afford the controllers as well and who love buying this stuff.  Obviously it would have better if they came with them at the same time but Oculus was not ready.  Vive is ahead because Oculus got much of their tech from Valve.  However, Oculus has done a better job with the design of the headset in general. From what I have read the Rift is better for long term usage (I mean e.g. playing a game continuously for hours).  Once the controllers come out I think Oculus will have the advantage and it will be much more expensive to fix the Vive because it will require a new headset. 

So I think Oculus made the right choice in optimizing the headset before the release of the controllers and making the controllers great later. I think Oculus is going to put on an awesome show at Oculus Connect in October and really dazzle. They are one of the stars in the tech world right now. I think everyone who is happy with their Rift is going to want the controllers even more and there will be some great games and applications to go along with the controllers. Even people who lost some interest will become interested again.  Just wait a month or two.

But I'm mostly going with a gut feeling.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

zboson said:

So I think Oculus made the right choice in optimizing the headset before release of the controllers and making the controllers great later. I think Oculus is going to put on an awesome show at Oculus Connect in October and really dazzle. They are one of the stars in the tech world right now. I think everyone who is happy with their Rift is going to want the controllers even more and there will be some great games and applications to go along with the controllers. Even people who lost some interest will become interested again. 

Pretty much nailed it!

Star Trek isn't going to be released until the end of November; yet people are saying that right now, today, (i.e., before November), Oculus somehow messed up by not having Touch available... for a game that isn't out yet? lol

If Ubisoft hits their deadline and manages to be bug free, then it will be a breakthrough for that company. Defect ridden releases is their forte: https://www.google.com/#q=ubisoft+release+bugs

That's the part that is a bit ironic in this particular discussion. Here we have a company like Ubisoft who doesn't take enough time to release relatively defect-free software, and some people think that Oculus should rush out their Touch release before ensuring... it is defect free.

If Ubisoft took a page from Oculus' book then they would have a chance of turning themselves around when it comes to consumer confidence with their products.