cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS4 Pro Announced - 4K/VR/HDR Ready £349 November 10th 2016 release

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Sony has today announced that its PS4 Slim will release on September 15th at the price of £249 in the UK. However, the main news from their Playstation Meeting is the arrival of the PS4 Pro (previously known as Neo). It will offer double the GPU power of the original PS4, a boosted clock rate and a 1TB HDD. The console which will run alongside existing PS4 consoles will support 4K, HDR gaming with titles such as Call of Duty Infinite, Horizon Until Dawn and many more. It will also boost the capabilities of playing on 1080p displays. Aside from tailored apps such as a new Netflix and Youtube app which will support 4K all current PS4s will receive a firmware update to support HDR. The big news is the PS4 Pro will cost $399/£349 USD and releases on November 10th 2016. Expect these to sell out instantly.

Obviously for PS VR this is good news but the cost of entry  is now £700 for the PS4 Pro and PS VR headset. 

c9ub48lbmwg2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11XjMplfTd4

Specs:

Body specification

• Main processor
    Single-chip custom processor 
    CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores 
    GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon ™ based graphics engine
  • memory
    GDDR5 8GB
  • hard disk
    1TB × 1 ※ 1
  • External dimensions
    About 295mm × 55mm × 327mm (width × height × depth) 
    (Not including maximum projection)
  • mass
    About 3.3kg
  • Optical drive (read-only)
    BD 6-speed CAV 
    DVD 8 speed CAV
  • Input and output
    Super-Speed ​​USB (USB 3.1 Gen1) port × 3 
    AUX port × 1
  • communication
    Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) 
    IEEE 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac 
    Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
  • Power supply
    AC 100V, 50 / 60Hz
  • Power consumption
    Up to 310W
  • Operating environment temperature
    5 ℃ - 35 ℃
  • AV output
    HDMI® output terminal (4K / HDR output) 
    Optical digital output terminal

Gameplays 4K:

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
48 REPLIES 48

Hodders67
Protege
what Conan said. if your outputting to an av receiver you should be using HDMI and PCM

metros269
Protege
I had pre ordered the Xbox one s because of the 4k stuff. I cancelled because of the "neo"...yesterday I find out that it will not play uhd blu rays which baffles me. The reg ps4 I have now will do just fine. I pre ordered the Xbox one s again but this time the red gears of war one!

danknugz
Superstar
If you're talking about the progression of video gaming in general, then yes I would have to agree that consoles are dead.

If were talking about budget, second world country gaming then consoles are alive and well.

Executives and investors don't care about gaming, or people having new, fun experiences; they care only about ROI. This is the only reason consoles still exist. It has nothing todo with actual gaming, and everything with stealing the most money possible from the poorest people.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Such cynicism...

*takes a cold shower.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

danknugz
Superstar
Sorry it's just that with everything that happened in the most recent generation of consoles, how weak and disappointing they were, and seeing that people were still actually debating the legitimacy of 30 fps last year, just really makes me feel sorry for these people who have been led down such a sad path of ignorance and consumer abuse.

I find it difficult having grown up with pcs, to see consoles as a legitimate means of enjoying modern age gaming as it should be enjoyed.

Granted, I hate fiddling with pcs as much as anyone else and there's something to be said about the plug and play aspect, that is the only reason I own a console, but last generation just about cancelled that benefit out, because they were so depressingly underpowered.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I think anyone who has a current gen PS4 should not bother upgrading their console or TV for the new console. And I think you should only get the new console if your planning on getting PSVR. Otherwise just save your money.

I'm going to stick with my current PS4 and enjoy Horizon Zero Dawn when it comes out and then ill sell up and upgrade to PS5 whenever that's out in the future.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

mbze430
Rising Star

steveoz32 said:

Overall, consoles are dead anyway. They've moved over more towards PC tech, and as time moves on and modular machines / PC's become more maintstream Playstations and Xbox's will disappear. The consoles of yesteryear are a dying bread and these new machines do nothing to convince me otherwise.

Consoles will never die.  It's the most "affordable" way to game.  The general public don't want to mess with drivers and setting up this and that to get a game working.  Nor they want to spend ~$1000 for a 4k UHD gaming computer.  General public want something they can plug in to a TV and put in a disc/download content and go.  and for $399-$600 it's a steal.

Consolles will always have a place.  PC gaming market is a niche market.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

danknugz
Superstar
Quantum information is also niche, but I could never really pride myself in knowing algebra.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
As I said previously, I genuinely believe PS4 Pro is meant to go hand-in-hand with the PS VR. PS4 always seemed to me like it would be under-powered to offer the best PS VR can offer even if reports from people using it have said otherwise.  I'm actually surprised Sony didn't release the PS4 Pro on October 13th but then again $800 for a new PS4 and PS VR is quite steep and a hard sell for most people no doubt. At least there's an option to spread the cost...kinda.

I think my main concern with Sony's current strategy is a fragmentation of its user base. With a mixture of VR enthusiasts stuck with the PS4 original knowing there's a better option out there, those who want a PS VR but can't afford it and those who want the PS4 Pro but also desire the PS VR but can't afford both. Then others who will have both when they release. 

If Zenbane is correct and there's a lot of VR sickness going about from untrained gamers when PS VR launches  then the used market might be quite healthy once stocks have replenished, offering the chance for more people to pick one up on the cheap - unless Sony tactically stifle supply and create an over-inflated used price market like we always see with new products.