cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Controller Concerns

Adraline
Honored Guest
I have had my Rift for about a month now and have not regretted investing the money at all. I'm a student studying 3D environmental design and being able to craft worlds for VR is insane! I am so excited for the integration of the new touch controllers. After looking at them online, I saw that they ship with another motion tracking sensor. This got me thinking...How many USB ports are going to be needed to run this? I am literally using almost all of my ports as it is, hopefully the new sensor doesn't require USB 3.0 or I'm screwed. 
41 REPLIES 41

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Adraline said:

I have had my Rift for about a month now and have not regretted investing the money at all. I'm a student studying 3D environmental design and being able to craft worlds for VR is insane! I am so excited for the integration of the new touch controllers. After looking at them online, I saw that they ship with another motion tracking sensor. This got me thinking...How many USB ports are going to be needed to run this? I am literally using almost all of my ports as it is, hopefully the new sensor doesn't require USB 3.0 or I'm screwed. 

Well...You're going to needs the same number as now, plus 1.

Actually, you should be able to run it without the second sensor, but you'll run into occlusion issues when you're facing away.  And USB 2 usually works fine.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm more worried about the fact that Oculus Touch still hasn't been released yet. The amount of Vive users in AltSpace and Bigscreen is a lot more then CV1 users. This is down to the Vive having the wands and Oculus not having them ready at launch. Whats more alarming is everyone I speak to in these apps always says the same thing. They got sick of waiting around for the Touch controllers, so they purchased the Vive instead. This tells me that Oculus have lost a lot of sales due to the delay in releasing their Touch controllers.

Sakkura
Heroic Explorer
That doesn't worry me. It's positive when people invest in VR, and if it happens to be another headset, that's okay. I want to see VR succeed, and right now it doesn't matter if Vive or Rift gets more sales. It's not like Facebook is going to abandon the project due to low sales, at least not anytime soon.

Even PSVR success would be good, though the console exclusivity is more troubling there.

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
but it speaks of a lot about Oculus and there blunders/ incompetences, seriously all this waiting around and still nothing now there seems to be a leakage on the price. I do think many wont buy the controllers because we know its not going to upgrade the graphics just add to imersion but £200 for controllers is a lot!! games are seperate.
Im starting to think AR technology will be supported by the larger masses

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Sakkura - The fact Oculus doesn't seem to worry about losing sales due to Oculus Touch delays has me worried. Every sale would matter to me if I was in business, I wouldn't want to lose one sale if I could help it. We have seen Oculus Touch been demonstrated a while ago now, so what are the reasons for the delay? This delay could even stretch to XMas, so lets hope more people are willing to wait for Touch instead of getting fed up of waiting and purchasing the Vive instead.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@lovethis there is a lot more to running a business than making decisions based on being worried. There is a reason some people run a business and others only talk about what it would be like.

Sales are managed through marketing.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Zenbane - I agree, but at the end of the day it all comes down to sales when running a business. When I hear that people are getting sick of waiting and are purchasing another device. As a customer of Oculus this has me slightly worried. Been a customer of Oculus, I would prefer them to do better then Vive in the sales department. Unfortunately, I don't have the sales figures, so when I hear other peoples opinions it's all I've got to go on. Maybe people just like waving their wands around in ALt Space and BigScreen and the Oculus users are playing something else.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Sales are important but so is quality of product. It doesnt make much sense for you to be worried since you dont work for Oculus nor are an actual stakeholder. I guarantee you that Oculus and their parent company are more concerned about their success than you are. They are also aware that business involves sales.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

lovethis said:

@Sakkura - We have seen Oculus Touch been demonstrated a while ago now, so what are the reasons for the delay?

For one, its design wasn't complete. Yes, they've had early prototypes for a while, but we've seen changes in the controllers from the first prototypes until now. Better to have a great controller later than a so-so one a few months earlier. Second, they wanted to avoid the shipping issues that happened with the Rift - they know how many Rifts were sold, so they have a good idea of how many of the Touch devices they need to have manufactured and ready in a warehouse. Third, software - this delay means there will be more/better Touch software available at launch, particularly Oculus-published games.