cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Controller Concerns

Adraline
Honored Guest
I have had my Rift for about a month now and have not regretted investing the money at all. I'm a student studying 3D environmental design and being able to craft worlds for VR is insane! I am so excited for the integration of the new touch controllers. After looking at them online, I saw that they ship with another motion tracking sensor. This got me thinking...How many USB ports are going to be needed to run this? I am literally using almost all of my ports as it is, hopefully the new sensor doesn't require USB 3.0 or I'm screwed. 
41 REPLIES 41

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I can see a "wand" war in altspace or bigscreen with everyone trying to punch each others avatar. It's gonna be fab. I am so gonna wave my wand in people's faces..........hmmm can I say that?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

I can see a "wand" war in altspace or bigscreen with everyone trying to punch each others avatar. It's gonna be fab. I am so gonna wave my wand in people's faces..........hmmm can I say that?

Are we talking about different hardware here LOL.

pjenness
Rising Star

lovethis said:

I'm more worried about the fact that Oculus Touch still hasn't been released yet. The amount of Vive users in AltSpace and Bigscreen is a lot more then CV1 users.

Not sure ... I was in big screen yesterday, and it was 3 : 1 Oculus : Vive users in the rooms I was in.

Altspace was a bit more vive, but also a god number of leap motion users, and many gear VR. In fact Gear + Cv1 might out number vive there.

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

XlordB
Adventurer
Heres my opinion. Like it or not touch controllers will be awesome. Patience is a virtue because if they release it too soon without having it been the best it can be then they would have a bigger problem because if the touch controllers end up less good than the vive.. They would have a monumental problem. So imo i guess they are making sure the controllers are absolutley incredible at launch.. I have faith in oculus .. I wouldnt worry too much about the financial status because Think about it they have facebook behind them.. multi billion pound company so they most likely wont run out of funds,. imo cash is not their biggest worry to me they probably just want to make sure they deliver an affordable premium vr experience. That said me like most of you are wishing the controllers were available now.. but i dont have cash for them right now so another month wont make a difference. There is a lot of potential for oculus and here is why - if you look at the teardown from ifixit you will see that the oculus is much more viable for upgrades than the vive. Since the vive has so many wires inside making it difficult to take apart. So imo oculus have a really good platform standpoint here because instead of them having to redesign a whole new rift.. they could in theory sell upgrades to their current hmds kind of like how pc machines get upgrades. We are talking on the level of people like pc builders etc who would probably need to have that experience to be able to install these upgrades. obviously it wont be a straight forward plug and play.. but like i said it WILL be viable.. just think - larger lens? larger screen ? better peripheral vision? higher fov? all with the simplicity of a lens screen upgrade. Personally i know most average vr users wont want to have to fork out over £500 for a completely new headset every other year so upgrades are highly reputable. and imo would be more affordable than constantly buying a new headset etc.

Warbloke
Superstar

lovethis said:

This tells me that Oculus have lost a lot of sales due to the delay in releasing their Touch controllers.

Perhaps Oculus think instead that Oculus have gained a lot of 'Rift' Sales as a result of not delaying sale of the Rift until the Touch controllers were ready.
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

Domitjen
Adventurer
Since Bigscreen launched on Home there are A LOT more Rift users.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My reason for cancelling Rift and going the Vive route was mostly down to Oculus messing their customers around so much. But, it was also to do with Vive shipping with controllers.  Now, many people on here may argue that Touch is going to blow the Vive wands out of the water (when it eventually releases), and that may well be true. But what swayed me was that Vive ships with controllers.

They're not an optional extra, they're part of the base package. Meaning game designers can develop motion control games for Vive without worrying that not everyone will be able to enjoy them, and without having to add in joypad support for those who don't own motion controllers.

For this generation at least, Touch is always going to be seen as a peripheral rather than an integral part of Rift, and that's a big mistake on the part of Oculus, imo.

Anonymous
Not applicable

notsram said:

My reason for cancelling Rift and going the Vive route was mostly down to Oculus messing their customers around so much. But, it was also to do with Vive shipping with controllers.  Now, many people on here may argue that Touch is going to blow the Vive wands out of the water (when it eventually releases), and that may well be true. But what swayed me was that Vive ships with controllers.

They're not an optional extra, they're part of the base package. Meaning game designers can develop motion control games for Vive without worrying that not everyone will be able to enjoy them, and without having to add in joypad support for those who don't own motion controllers.

For this generation at least, Touch is always going to be seen as a peripheral rather than an integral part of Rift, and that's a big mistake on the part of Oculus, imo.

Even though I'm in the category of people who want motion controllers there is also a big group of VR enthusiasts who are purely Racing/Flight SIM, so I think giving people the choice is always great for the customer.

Also there are some games that motion controllers just don't work with, like a racing SIM is best experienced with a wheel. A third person RPG like luckys tale is best experienced with a game pad, and then games like Job Simulator are best experienced with motion controllers.

I really don't think motion controllers are the be all and end all of VR input. They are great for certain things like any other input device. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@notsram

"My reason for cancelling Rift and going the Vive route was mostly down to Oculus messing their customers around so much."

The only customers who feel this way are those who allowed themselves to become emotionally invested in a situation where they should have just been a competent spectator. There is no history of early access or pre-order in the Info Tech world that ever turned out good for the consumer. And there is no reason that after the year 2000 anyone should still act like they "believed everything a company said only to get hurt by their later actions."

To this day there are still automobile recalls for safety. Hell in recent years even Almonds were recalled for safety. And the restaurant Chioptle is predicted to implode due to its own E. Coli outbreak, which has caused their profits to drop by over 80%
http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/21/investing/chipotle-earnings/

There are real problems organizations are having to deal with, that impact peoples lives in a truly detrimental way. Yet these early VR adopters turn vive drones act like they were screwed over by something that is primarily used for video games lol...

"For this generation at least, Touch is always going to be seen as a peripheral rather than an integral part of Rift"

A viewpoint that starts and stops with those whom are afflicted with that problem of needlessly attaching the source of their happiness on to an external entity. Just because you set yourself up to get hurt doesn't mean that other more sensible and emotionally secure individuals won't be able to enjoy their product choice.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Dominique said:

Since Bigscreen launched on Home there are A LOT more Rift users.

I use Big Screen a lot and I've seen the total opposite to you. I work shifts so maybe it's all the Americans who have the Vives and the Europeans Rifts. I'll check it out at different times and see if this is the case. I'll also try and get some screen shots if that's possible.