New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Touch Controller Concerns

AdralineAdraline Posts: 5
NerveGear
I have had my Rift for about a month now and have not regretted investing the money at all. I'm a student studying 3D environmental design and being able to craft worlds for VR is insane! I am so excited for the integration of the new touch controllers. After looking at them online, I saw that they ship with another motion tracking sensor. This got me thinking...How many USB ports are going to be needed to run this? I am literally using almost all of my ports as it is, hopefully the new sensor doesn't require USB 3.0 or I'm screwed. 

Comments

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    Adraline said:
    I have had my Rift for about a month now and have not regretted investing the money at all. I'm a student studying 3D environmental design and being able to craft worlds for VR is insane! I am so excited for the integration of the new touch controllers. After looking at them online, I saw that they ship with another motion tracking sensor. This got me thinking...How many USB ports are going to be needed to run this? I am literally using almost all of my ports as it is, hopefully the new sensor doesn't require USB 3.0 or I'm screwed. 
    Well...You're going to needs the same number as now, plus 1.

Actually, you should be able to run it without the second sensor, but you'll run into occlusion issues when you're facing away.  And USB 2 usually works fine.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited September 2016
    I'm more worried about the fact that Oculus Touch still hasn't been released yet. The amount of Vive users in AltSpace and Bigscreen is a lot more then CV1 users. This is down to the Vive having the wands and Oculus not having them ready at launch. Whats more alarming is everyone I speak to in these apps always says the same thing. They got sick of waiting around for the Touch controllers, so they purchased the Vive instead. This tells me that Oculus have lost a lot of sales due to the delay in releasing their Touch controllers.
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    That doesn't worry me. It's positive when people invest in VR, and if it happens to be another headset, that's okay. I want to see VR succeed, and right now it doesn't matter if Vive or Rift gets more sales. It's not like Facebook is going to abandon the project due to low sales, at least not anytime soon.

Even PSVR success would be good, though the console exclusivity is more troubling there.
  • nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    edited September 2016
    but it speaks of a lot about Oculus and there blunders/ incompetences, seriously all this waiting around and still nothing now there seems to be a leakage on the price. I do think many wont buy the controllers because we know its not going to upgrade the graphics just add to imersion but £200 for controllers is a lot!! games are seperate.
    Im starting to think AR technology will be supported by the larger masses
    edited September 2016
    @Sakkura - The fact Oculus doesn't seem to worry about losing sales due to Oculus Touch delays has me worried. Every sale would matter to me if I was in business, I wouldn't want to lose one sale if I could help it. We have seen Oculus Touch been demonstrated a while ago now, so what are the reasons for the delay? This delay could even stretch to XMas, so lets hope more people are willing to wait for Touch instead of getting fed up of waiting and purchasing the Vive instead.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,012 Valuable Player
    @lovethis there is a lot more to running a business than making decisions based on being worried. There is a reason some people run a business and others only talk about what it would be like.

Sales are managed through marketing.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    @Zenbane - I agree, but at the end of the day it all comes down to sales when running a business. When I hear that people are getting sick of waiting and are purchasing another device. As a customer of Oculus this has me slightly worried. Been a customer of Oculus, I would prefer them to do better then Vive in the sales department. Unfortunately, I don't have the sales figures, so when I hear other peoples opinions it's all I've got to go on. Maybe people just like waving their wands around in ALt Space and BigScreen and the Oculus users are playing something else.
    Sales are important but so is quality of product. It doesnt make much sense for you to be worried since you dont work for Oculus nor are an actual stakeholder. I guarantee you that Oculus and their parent company are more concerned about their success than you are. They are also aware that business involves sales.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    lovethis said:
    @Sakkura - We have seen Oculus Touch been demonstrated a while ago now, so what are the reasons for the delay?
    For one, its design wasn't complete. Yes, they've had early prototypes for a while, but we've seen changes in the controllers from the first prototypes until now. Better to have a great controller later than a so-so one a few months earlier. Second, they wanted to avoid the shipping issues that happened with the Rift - they know how many Rifts were sold, so they have a good idea of how many of the Touch devices they need to have manufactured and ready in a warehouse. Third, software - this delay means there will be more/better Touch software available at launch, particularly Oculus-published games.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    I can see a "wand" war in altspace or bigscreen with everyone trying to punch each others avatar. It's gonna be fab. I am so gonna wave my wand in people's faces..........hmmm can I say that?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111 said:
    I can see a "wand" war in altspace or bigscreen with everyone trying to punch each others avatar. It's gonna be fab. I am so gonna wave my wand in people's faces..........hmmm can I say that?
    Are we talking about different hardware here LOL.
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 691
    Neo
    lovethis said:
    I'm more worried about the fact that Oculus Touch still hasn't been released yet. The amount of Vive users in AltSpace and Bigscreen is a lot more then CV1 users.
    Not sure ... I was in big screen yesterday, and it was 3 : 1 Oculus : Vive users in the rooms I was in. Altspace was a bit more vive, but also a god number of leap motion users, and many gear VR. In fact Gear + Cv1 might out number vive there.
    Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    Heres my opinion. Like it or not touch controllers will be awesome. Patience is a virtue because if they release it too soon without having it been the best it can be then they would have a bigger problem because if the touch controllers end up less good than the vive.. They would have a monumental problem. So imo i guess they are making sure the controllers are absolutley incredible at launch.. I have faith in oculus .. I wouldnt worry too much about the financial status because Think about it they have facebook behind them.. multi billion pound company so they most likely wont run out of funds,. imo cash is not their biggest worry to me they probably just want to make sure they deliver an affordable premium vr experience. That said me like most of you are wishing the controllers were available now.. but i dont have cash for them right now so another month wont make a difference. There is a lot of potential for oculus and here is why - if you look at the teardown from ifixit you will see that the oculus is much more viable for upgrades than the vive. Since the vive has so many wires inside making it difficult to take apart. So imo oculus have a really good platform standpoint here because instead of them having to redesign a whole new rift.. they could in theory sell upgrades to their current hmds kind of like how pc machines get upgrades. We are talking on the level of people like pc builders etc who would probably need to have that experience to be able to install these upgrades. obviously it wont be a straight forward plug and play.. but like i said it WILL be viable.. just think - larger lens? larger screen ? better peripheral vision? higher fov? all with the simplicity of a lens screen upgrade. Personally i know most average vr users wont want to have to fork out over £500 for a completely new headset every other year so upgrades are highly reputable. and imo would be more affordable than constantly buying a new headset etc.
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane
    lovethis said:
    This tells me that Oculus have lost a lot of sales due to the delay in releasing their Touch controllers.
    Perhaps Oculus think instead that Oculus have gained a lot of 'Rift' Sales as a result of not delaying sale of the Rift until the Touch controllers were ready.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
  • DomitjenDomitjen Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    Since Bigscreen launched on Home there are A LOT more Rift users.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    edited September 2016
    My reason for cancelling Rift and going the Vive route was mostly down to Oculus messing their customers around so much. But, it was also to do with Vive shipping with controllers.  Now, many people on here may argue that Touch is going to blow the Vive wands out of the water (when it eventually releases), and that may well be true. But what swayed me was that Vive ships with controllers.

They're not an optional extra, they're part of the base package. Meaning game designers can develop motion control games for Vive without worrying that not everyone will be able to enjoy them, and without having to add in joypad support for those who don't own motion controllers.

For this generation at least, Touch is always going to be seen as a peripheral rather than an integral part of Rift, and that's a big mistake on the part of Oculus, imo.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    notsram said:
    My reason for cancelling Rift and going the Vive route was mostly down to Oculus messing their customers around so much. But, it was also to do with Vive shipping with controllers.  Now, many people on here may argue that Touch is going to blow the Vive wands out of the water (when it eventually releases), and that may well be true. But what swayed me was that Vive ships with controllers.

They're not an optional extra, they're part of the base package. Meaning game designers can develop motion control games for Vive without worrying that not everyone will be able to enjoy them, and without having to add in joypad support for those who don't own motion controllers.

For this generation at least, Touch is always going to be seen as a peripheral rather than an integral part of Rift, and that's a big mistake on the part of Oculus, imo.
    Even though I'm in the category of people who want motion controllers there is also a big group of VR enthusiasts who are purely Racing/Flight SIM, so I think giving people the choice is always great for the customer.

Also there are some games that motion controllers just don't work with, like a racing SIM is best experienced with a wheel. A third person RPG like luckys tale is best experienced with a game pad, and then games like Job Simulator are best experienced with motion controllers.

I really don't think motion controllers are the be all and end all of VR input. They are great for certain things like any other input device. 
    edited September 2016
    @notsram

"My reason for cancelling Rift and going the Vive route was mostly down to Oculus messing their customers around so much."

The only customers who feel this way are those who allowed themselves to become emotionally invested in a situation where they should have just been a competent spectator. There is no history of early access or pre-order in the Info Tech world that ever turned out good for the consumer. And there is no reason that after the year 2000 anyone should still act like they "believed everything a company said only to get hurt by their later actions."

To this day there are still automobile recalls for safety. Hell in recent years even Almonds were recalled for safety. And the restaurant Chioptle is predicted to implode due to its own E. Coli outbreak, which has caused their profits to drop by over 80%
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/21/investing/chipotle-earnings/

There are real problems organizations are having to deal with, that impact peoples lives in a truly detrimental way. Yet these early VR adopters turn vive drones act like they were screwed over by something that is primarily used for video games lol...

"For this generation at least, Touch is always going to be seen as a peripheral rather than an integral part of Rift"

A viewpoint that starts and stops with those whom are afflicted with that problem of needlessly attaching the source of their happiness on to an external entity. Just because you set yourself up to get hurt doesn't mean that other more sensible and emotionally secure individuals won't be able to enjoy their product choice.
    Dominique said:
    Since Bigscreen launched on Home there are A LOT more Rift users.
    I use Big Screen a lot and I've seen the total opposite to you. I work shifts so maybe it's all the Americans who have the Vives and the Europeans Rifts. I'll check it out at different times and see if this is the case. I'll also try and get some screen shots if that's possible.
    Someone could just email Big Screen and ask them to release HMD logs >:)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,899 Valuable Player
    Adraline said:

Do you not have a free PCI slot?  The USB 3 card they recommend is under $30 at Amazon.  That will give you more than enough of the required ports.
    lovethis said:
    I'm more worried about the fact that Oculus Touch still hasn't been released yet. The amount of Vive users in AltSpace and Bigscreen is a lot more then CV1 users. This is down to the Vive having the wands and Oculus not having them ready at launch. Whats more alarming is everyone I speak to in these apps always says the same thing. They got sick of waiting around for the Touch controllers, so they purchased the Vive instead. This tells me that Oculus have lost a lot of sales due to the delay in releasing their Touch controllers.
    Huh, everyone I ask almost all of them always say they have Gear VR.  I've run into a few with Rift, I asked them if they had USB 3.0 issues or HDMI disconnect issues.  The few I ran into said no, they've never had issues.  I've never found anyone with a vive in the VR chat where you can select different enviornments like the ice cave, the camp fire, the board room, the 360 photo room etc.  But in the VR social program where you can teleport around I see vive players in there often because I can see the wands.  Oculus will do fine when they finally release their controllers, I'm not worried about.  But that doesn't put these controllers in my hands now and that's what I want  :)  They better be released by the time Star Trek Bridge Crew is released....
    edited September 2016
    People like @lovethis see only what they want to see. There could be 100 Gear VR users and 75 Rift users in a room, but he will only "see" the 12 Vive users and then come to the forum all like, "I'm worried that the Rift has lost all sales"
    lovethis said:
    @Sakkura - The fact Oculus doesn't seem to worry about losing sales due to Oculus Touch delays has me worried. Every sale would matter to me if I was in business, I wouldn't want to lose one sale if I could help it. We have seen Oculus Touch been demonstrated a while ago now, so what are the reasons for the delay? This delay could even stretch to XMas, so lets hope more people are willing to wait for Touch instead of getting fed up of waiting and purchasing the Vive instead.

I'm sure the reason for the delay is getting developers ready early enough to launch a bunch of "touch" games when it is released.
    edited September 2016
    falken76 said:
    I'm sure the reason for the delay is getting developers ready early enough to launch a bunch of "touch" games when it is released.
    Yep, on top of which there is no single business that makes it their concern to get "every single sale." That would involve a monopoly which is illegal anyway. Even if Oculus shipped with perfect room-scale and touch controllers a month before HTC ever released the Vive... there are still consumers who would pick a different product just out of principal. In a free market we like our options. But @lovethis thinks it wise for a business to make every decision on something impractical. Chasing ones own tail is not an effective cycle for success.
    I'm going to Big screen and Alt Space now.  Come join me and we can all see who's using what device.
    lovethis said:
    I'm going to Big screen and Alt Space now.  Come join me and we can all see who's using what device.
    A couple of questions:

1) How do you plan to enter all Big Screen channels, both public and private?

2) How do you plan to stay in Big Screen while also residing within Alt Space?

3) Is this a full 24 hour survey, or a week long survey?

4) Will there be bathroom breaks?

edited September 2016
    Alt Space, 2 Gear VR, 1 Vive and 1 CV1 me LOL. 
    Where's the screenshot meng??
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    I've been in both and from past experiences in both it seems gear > vive > rift buuuuut rift has made lots of progress, I used to see groups of vivers with a couple gear..ers talking mess about rift with only me there to defend it. Sometimes even getting laughed off when doing so making the vive dudes seem like cliquey teenage douches. But now it seems to be a more balanced, and some days have more rifters others vivers, mainly it seems solid that gearers make up the vast majority, but we pc vr'ers are closing the gap nicely. Pure speculations made from my observations over the last month and a half popping in and out of both.