New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Good Therapeutic VR sims

FalcoIjzerhartFalcoIjzerhart Posts: 22
Brain Burst
Hi!

Im writing a facebook post for my VR facebook group.
And I want to write about Therapeutic VR experiences.
All I can find are cures for fear of hights and animal related phobias.

Does anyone here know good VR sims that treat other forms of psychological disorders.
Idk, maybe agoraphobia, or social awkwardness etc.

I'd be much obliged!

Love,

Falco
Tagged:

Comments

• ramonramon Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    I remember this little demo where you can walk around inside a subway car, as you approach other passengers they will either avoid eye contact or keep staring at you.

https://www.wearvr.com/apps/subway-car

• FalcoIjzerhartFalcoIjzerhart Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Thats very nice Ramon! Thanks for sharing that with me.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    Not therapeutic as such, but for general relaxation, I find 'The Blu' hard to beat...
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    I think there is a real potential in VR therapy. I think the power of VR can really help people with mental health issues both minor & major issues. I was looking for help for one of my customers & read about VR help with Acrophobia & Vertigo. I thought about the potential for a market area in self help in VR similar to what we have in books but far more effective. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,013 Valuable Player
    Repeatedly standing on the edge of that 500 foot platform in Oculus Dreamdeck has done wonders for my real life phobia of heights.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Very interesting. I don't find that scary at all but i have only a natural fear of heights. 
    Brain Burst
    Thank you all for your replies. If you could keep an eye out for these kinds of experiences I'd be super happy!
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    I think there are some sims that do the opposite. I think VR could be used to create phobias or make conditions worse.  Dreahalls is a good example.
    Brain Burst
    thats a scary thought Zboson
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,368 Valuable Player
    Sorry, I thought I'd posted on here before about this, but my Rift has really helped me with my severe depression since I got it. It's doing me a lot of favours by allowing me to escape my life entirely for a good few hours at times.

I've also found it very therapeutic to develop in VR too, although I haven't done any work on it since I got my Touch controllers on launch day so I'm going to have to get back to things soon.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Brain Burst
    snowdog said:
    Sorry, I thought I'd posted on here before about this, but my Rift has really helped me with my severe depression since I got it. It's doing me a lot of favours by allowing me to escape my life entirely for a good few hours at times.

I've also found it very therapeutic to develop in VR too, although I haven't done any work on it since I got my Touch controllers on launch day so I'm going to have to get back to things soon.
    Can you give me the name of some good therapeutic experiences?
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,368 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:

Can you give me the name of some good therapeutic experiences?
    TheBlu is excellent when you're stressed but for me ALL VR experiences are therapeutic for my depression because I can escape from the real world for a few hours. Elite Dangerous is GREAT for this especially.

But the biggest thing for me has been developing in VR with the Unreal Engine. I've started work on a VR game called Nakamura's Fall and have started a Dev Blog on the VR Spies forum here:

http://forum.vrspies.com/t/harvs-dev-blog-nakamuras-pride/305

I've just been doing the models so far, which for me is the most difficult part, and I'm going to start work on the textures after I've finished my website. I'm buying Substance Designer, Substance Painter and B2M tomorrow at a sale price of $199 instead of $299 and will start to work on the textures for my website once I get those applications.

After that I'm going to work on the textures for my game and once they're done FINALLY start work on the mechanics for my game. It's going to be a sci-fi survival-horror game set on a ship in deep space after you receive and respond to a distress call:

:D 

It's basically going to be Dreadhalls meets Alien Isolation B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever