cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Controller Concerns

Adraline
Honored Guest
I have had my Rift for about a month now and have not regretted investing the money at all. I'm a student studying 3D environmental design and being able to craft worlds for VR is insane! I am so excited for the integration of the new touch controllers. After looking at them online, I saw that they ship with another motion tracking sensor. This got me thinking...How many USB ports are going to be needed to run this? I am literally using almost all of my ports as it is, hopefully the new sensor doesn't require USB 3.0 or I'm screwed. 
41 REPLIES 41

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Someone could just email Big Screen and ask them to release HMD logs >:)

falken76
Expert Consultant

Adraline said:

I have had my Rift for about a month now and have not regretted investing the money at all. I'm a student studying 3D environmental design and being able to craft worlds for VR is insane! I am so excited for the integration of the new touch controllers. After looking at them online, I saw that they ship with another motion tracking sensor. This got me thinking...How many USB ports are going to be needed to run this? I am literally using almost all of my ports as it is, hopefully the new sensor doesn't require USB 3.0 or I'm screwed. 

Do you not have a free PCI slot?  The USB 3 card they recommend is under $30 at Amazon.  That will give you more than enough of the required ports.

falken76
Expert Consultant

lovethis said:

I'm more worried about the fact that Oculus Touch still hasn't been released yet. The amount of Vive users in AltSpace and Bigscreen is a lot more then CV1 users. This is down to the Vive having the wands and Oculus not having them ready at launch. Whats more alarming is everyone I speak to in these apps always says the same thing. They got sick of waiting around for the Touch controllers, so they purchased the Vive instead. This tells me that Oculus have lost a lot of sales due to the delay in releasing their Touch controllers.

Huh, everyone I ask almost all of them always say they have Gear VR.  I've run into a few with Rift, I asked them if they had USB 3.0 issues or HDMI disconnect issues.  The few I ran into said no, they've never had issues.  I've never found anyone with a vive in the VR chat where you can select different enviornments like the ice cave, the camp fire, the board room, the 360 photo room etc.  But in the VR social program where you can teleport around I see vive players in there often because I can see the wands.  Oculus will do fine when they finally release their controllers, I'm not worried about.  But that doesn't put these controllers in my hands now and that's what I want  🙂  They better be released by the time Star Trek Bridge Crew is released....

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
People like @lovethis see only what they want to see. There could be 100 Gear VR users and 75 Rift users in a room, but he will only "see" the 12 Vive users and then come to the forum all like, "I'm worried that the Rift has lost all sales"

falken76
Expert Consultant

lovethis said:

@Sakkura - The fact Oculus doesn't seem to worry about losing sales due to Oculus Touch delays has me worried. Every sale would matter to me if I was in business, I wouldn't want to lose one sale if I could help it. We have seen Oculus Touch been demonstrated a while ago now, so what are the reasons for the delay? This delay could even stretch to XMas, so lets hope more people are willing to wait for Touch instead of getting fed up of waiting and purchasing the Vive instead.

I'm sure the reason for the delay is getting developers ready early enough to launch a bunch of "touch" games when it is released.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

falken76 said:

I'm sure the reason for the delay is getting developers ready early enough to launch a bunch of "touch" games when it is released.

Yep, on top of which there is no single business that makes it their concern to get "every single sale." That would involve a monopoly which is illegal anyway. Even if Oculus shipped with perfect room-scale and touch controllers a month before HTC ever released the Vive... there are still consumers who would pick a different product just out of principal. In a free market we like our options. But @lovethis thinks it wise for a business to make every decision on something impractical. Chasing ones own tail is not an effective cycle for success.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm going to Big screen and Alt Space now.  Come join me and we can all see who's using what device.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

lovethis said:

I'm going to Big screen and Alt Space now.  Come join me and we can all see who's using what device.

A couple of questions:

1) How do you plan to enter all Big Screen channels, both public and private?

2) How do you plan to stay in Big Screen while also residing within Alt Space?

3) Is this a full 24 hour survey, or a week long survey?

4) Will there be bathroom breaks?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Alt Space, 2 Gear VR, 1 Vive and 1 CV1 me LOL. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Where's the screenshot meng??