cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diminished momentum in VR .

nrosko
Superstar
When VR was released there was a bit of a spike in some motivation for developers to include VR support. Beyond this Im' starting to worry that there is very little going on. i can under stand that some games are not suited or would require a great deal of  modification. but what worries me most is the lack of VR in new or existing driving games & sims that should in theory be ideal. Codemasters F1, forza ms 6 & rz3, RrE, r factor 2, automobilsta. Just seems to be more & more bleak as months go by. ED is great in vr but there is no hurry for star citizen or any other space game. Just seems things have flat lined. Games are released & it just feels like small silent farts of minimal indifference (oh a game has been released)rather than genuine excitement. 
Touch is going to make 0 difference to this imo, there will be a bit of fuss for a few months then back to normal. 
43 REPLIES 43

Gomuningen
Explorer
My Oculus has been sitting in the box for several months now. It was exciting for the first few weeks. I just can not get past the small pixels and poor graphics quality..I am running a beefy machine which has a Nvidia 1080. 

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Many of the games coming out right now were already in development years before the Rift was available for consumers. Many games being started now won't be out for a few years, and by then there should quite a few more people with headsets. 

If you want to see this stuff though, vote with your wallet - and if you find a good game that seems like it would fit VR well let the developers know! I myself have only bought one flat game since getting my Rift, my money goes to VR and will hopefully show devs that it can be worth it.

nrosko
Superstar
I just thought simulated cockpit games would be certain to include it but there has really been nothing. Its not like VR is a surprise & it just appeared a few months ago & developers just need to catch up. I actually think they don't think its a success. At the start some developers gambled on it but now things have settled most thinkits not worth the effort.  

nrosko
Superstar

My Oculus has been sitting in the box for several months now. It was exciting for the first few weeks. I just can not get past the small pixels and poor graphics quality..I am running a beefy machine which has a Nvidia 1080. 

The above issue is a non issue for me i think VR is way better than 2d but i guess if half the buyers feel the same as you then that's bad news also. 

pertm
Protege

nrosko said:

The above issue is a non issue for me i think VR is way better than 2d but i guess if half the buyers feel the same as you then that's bad news also. 

The only reason I am not selling my Rift is because I have to try the Touch controllers and I really hope it will change my mind about selling it again. most of the games out right now is just like playing arcade games from the 80's just much much more immersive.

christopherbarn
Adventurer
I just think its difficult to render stuff at 90 fps, twice, compared to 60 fps once. You can't make a game that looks great at 60 fps and just flip a switch and expect it to hold up.
Besides, it's still early. PS4 VR has yet to hit - those games will be easier to port to PC. Plus Scorpio coming out next year, Nintendo's is working on a box for VR. Hololens coming and MS putting support for it in Win 10. Intel got Project Alloy. Things are only just beginning !

mbze430
Rising Star

nrosko said:

I just thought simulated cockpit games would be certain to include it but there has really been nothing. Its not like VR is a surprise & it just appeared a few months ago & developers just need to catch up. I actually think they don't think its a success. At the start some developers gambled on it but now things have settled most thinkits not worth the effort.  

exactly my thought.  The easiest games to add VR are the ones with cockpits.  However.... F1 2016 doesn't have VR, but Dirt Rally did.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
My VR gaming slowed as well, but only because I beat most of the beatable titles: Chronos, Luckys Tale, Farlands, Technolust, Dead Secret, Albino Lullaby, Crystal Rift, Edge of Nowhere, Fated.

I've also spent tons of hours in non-story driven games like: Eve-Valkyrie, Blazerush, Darknet, Hitman GO.

I think some people like to complain for the sake of it, and in their mind everything is slow and terrible all the time. Others, like myself, have been fluctuating right along with the gaming market itself since its inception.

There are dry spells with console and standard PC gaming alike. That's what happens when you play all the good stuff as fast as possible. I'm fine waiting for the next major surge. Which will likely happen when Touch is released.

Although the people who make it a point to complain no matter what still won't be happen even then 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still early days yet, plus those early adoption rate predictions were laughably over optimistic. IMHO, cockpit based games are VR's shining ray of hope for the moment.

Actually looking forward to the release of Touch, not sure how much they'll get used as I'm a sim racer foremost. However, I am looking forward to Medium and Arizona Sunshine. Hopefully once Touch is out, more dev's will make the transition over to VR, with simultaneous development on Vive & Rift. Plus, with PSVR, maybe a push for some VR based content for Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, The Witcher etc!?