cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Console Gamers Having Trouble Going Back After VR?

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
I used to primarily play games on the PS4 and ever since I got the CV1, I found that I haven't touched the PS4 much since then. I didn't think this would happen since I love the PS4 but just haven't had that desire to go back. Maybe this will pass but it's a good thing that I can stream the PS4 to the PC and use with the Rift which is pretty cool especially in Big Screen where others can watch and socialize. 

Has anyone else felt this way? Are consoles doomed?
79 REPLIES 79

Jose
Heroic Explorer
Not a console gamer. But a PC gamer, who thought I'd never go back to normal flat-screen games. I did eventually.

SadGamerDad
Heroic Explorer

Jose said:

Not a console gamer. But a PC gamer, who thought I'd never go back to normal flat-screen games. I did eventually.

Same here, took me a few months but now I go back and forth between flat games and VR..   Gotta finish Mafia 2 before 3 comes out..

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@Jose @SADGAMERSENPAI so I guess it doesn't feel right to play flat games in an app like Big Screen or Virtual Desktop or are there other factors? 

Jose
Heroic Explorer
Mostly lack of AAA quality games on any VR platform. Other times, I'm outside of the house and want to play a game real quick on my phone to pass the time. Or I wanna play emulated classic console games for nostalgia reasons. Sometimes I want to play competitive multiplayer action games, of which there are very few for VR. I've been a regular VR user since 2012.

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I feel ya - I've hardly touched any flat games since getting my Rift. I wouldn't say consoles are doomed by any means, but for myself this is where it is at!

benplace
Rising Star
I have been playing the new WOW expansion and all I keep thinking is how cool this would be in my Rift...

mbze430
Rising Star

kcampbell said:

@Jose @SADGAMERSENPAI so I guess it doesn't feel right to play flat games in an app like Big Screen or Virtual Desktop or are there other factors? 

I tried that once, but the frame rate was horrible, rather just take off the HMD and just look at the beautiful 4k screen
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think console gaming is doomed. It would be more accurate to say that in the not-too-distant future 'flat' games are going to be phased out. The PS5 erm...PS4 Pro and Xbox Two Scorpio are the start of the 9th generation of consoles for my money, Sony and Microsoft are just avoiding calling them that because they don't want people to realise that the 8th generation has only lasted 3/4 years and face the Nerd Rage.

I'm expecting the Scorpio to launch with a VR headset of some description and once developer and publisher support for the PS4 and Xbox One has dropped in a year or two after they launch and they start to develop exclusively for the 'next gen' consoles we'll see that support being VR exclusive.

I haven't bought a Sony console this generation for the first time since they started making the things because I'm refusing to pay an annual tax to play online every year. And the same goes for the Xbox One too.

I did however buy a Wii U which I've been VERY happy with this generation but once I get my Rift in a couple of months I can't see myself going anywhere near it or getting myself an NX either. Not even for the open world Zelda.

Once you go VR you never go back :open_mouth:

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The only console games I've truly enjoyed in the past 3+ years are the Walking Dead releases from TellTale games. I have no problem going back to those, but I guess it's cause they feel more like watching a TV series than anything else.

VR has definitely made it almost impossible to play standard "flat" video games anymore, even on PC. Mobile gaming is completely dead to me now thanks to VR. But 360 film hasn't done much to pull me away from standard "flat" movie watching.