cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diminished momentum in VR .

nrosko
Superstar
When VR was released there was a bit of a spike in some motivation for developers to include VR support. Beyond this Im' starting to worry that there is very little going on. i can under stand that some games are not suited or would require a great deal of  modification. but what worries me most is the lack of VR in new or existing driving games & sims that should in theory be ideal. Codemasters F1, forza ms 6 & rz3, RrE, r factor 2, automobilsta. Just seems to be more & more bleak as months go by. ED is great in vr but there is no hurry for star citizen or any other space game. Just seems things have flat lined. Games are released & it just feels like small silent farts of minimal indifference (oh a game has been released)rather than genuine excitement. 
Touch is going to make 0 difference to this imo, there will be a bit of fuss for a few months then back to normal. 
43 REPLIES 43

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Mradr said:

@RonsonPL so huh.. what would you have done different for gaming VR PC :)?

Well, I'd have made it more awesome.  And over here, I'd put some more cool.  And see this thing here?  I'd have badassed it up a little.

This here is good.

But this!  Right here, this is boring, get rid of it and replace it with something new and inventive and shiney.  Make everything more new and shiny!

And I'd have done it on a budget of $3.50

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
@Mradr
Many things, which I was writing about many times on this forum. I don't want to repeat that, it always sparks flame from Oculus fanboy team. Let me know (through PM) if your question was serious, then I'll send you all the long list of things that were screwed up badly on the way (and are continuing to do so now).

@Zenbane

For farts sake, man, can't you stop? I told you twice already - I don't read your worthless posts, you don't read mine, I don't respond, you don't respond, everyone is happy. You can't do that, can you?

This is typical your post:
First, what you wrote to someone else.
Zenbane said:

I think some people like to complain for the sake of it, and in their mind everything is slow and terrible all the time. Others, like myself, have been fluctuating right along with the gaming market itself since its inception.

You wrote similar thing to many others in the past, including me, multiple times.
And now, of course, again:

Zenbane said:

Folks like @RonsonPL dont have solutions, they just type long-winded diatribes about fictitious problems.
You know what's your problem? You imagine too much. You THINK you know what other people think/say and don't change your mind even when they tell you you were totally wrong in that assumption. You see yourself as an experienced veteran who knows everything best. Well, guess what - you're not the only old guy here. I played my first video games OVER 30 years ago. So maybe shut up, and shrink your ego a little before it creates its own gravity and we'll all be doomed. You are worthless in guessing what other people think, who they are, but it's your main hobby here to assume and then feel better than them. You are a typical troll. No arguments can change your mind, you are just interested in discussion with people who agree with all what you think and in personal attacks or creating an imaginery world, where everything with VR and with Oculus is fine. Sure, most people who thought otherwise already left this forum, and you might get this first impression, that everyone agrees, but. Oh, who am I fooling here, it's pointless to teach you how to use your brain, and think things through before jumping to conclusion. If you had no problems with logic, I wouldn't have to avoid your posts

Anyway - stop "reviewing" (attacking/ridiculing) every post on this forum which is not a praise for (insert whatever triggers you here).
If you think something is obviously stupid you are offending others by thinking they cannot figure that out themselves.
So either you waste space and people's time, or you are a pathetic stuffed shirt, who often attacks people because of things that exist only in your imagination. Either way, stop.
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

Luciferous
Consultant

So anyway, I think Oculus could help by keeping the ball rolling in some areas.

1. New home rooms, or adding a home room to choose from each month.

2. Make them more exciting, maybe occasionally the cat gets up and yawns or the suit of armour gets out of its case and walks around a bit.

3. What on earth are they doing with the cinema, no change their since launch except maybe some bug fixes.

Hold movies nights, include films people may want to buy and watch. Other audience members, multiple people allowed to share a movie.

4. A body in the home screen. okay maybe wait for touch for this so you can point at things etc.

Just generally keep things changing and fresh.

TorturedT
Explorer

Zenbane said:

Folks like @RonsonPL dont have solutions, they just type long-winded diatribes about fictitious problems.

Everything I read from you makes me feel worse for you, your family must have a damn horrorshow with such a father/husband

mbze430
Rising Star
Ohh Zenbane definitely have some ego issues, he feels like he's the papa bear in these forums.  He project himself as being the old/wise/mighty.  Obviously, he has the rights to his own opinions, but he projects his own opinions as a belittlement gestures.

I read his post and I just smile it off.  With his attitude, soon the majority of the users here are going 1) ignore all his post, 2) complain to the OCulus Mod, 3) people stop coming here and look for alternatives
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@RonsonPL you can try your hand at being a forum warrior but you suck at that just as much as you suck at showing that your supposed 30 years of gaming experience has granted you any insight in to the new VR industry. You and @TorturedT are some of the folks whom I've seen constantly show up and try to pretend that you are witnessing some demise of Oculus brought on by some failed judgment, but at no point do either of you let your brains finish the thought and offer up a real solution or actionable recommendation.

Your both clowns and I treat you as such. I understand the animosity towards me, and it does get me feeling all giddy. But all you really have to do to shut me up is offer up something truly meaningful instead of constantly rephrasing the same old boring rhetoric.

In your response to me you act as though you can't bother to type up something intellectual cause it won't change my mind. But that's little more than an excuse, cupcake. @Mradr asked you the same thing, and he is a super nice guy, yet you made another excuse and offered to answer him via PM? lol

Well hopefully if you do manage to PM him something that shows the past 30 years of your gaming history didn't involve you soiling yourself while button mashing your way across a screen, then it should get posted for all to see as proof that you are actually good at a thing.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

TorturedT said:
Everything I read from you makes me feel worse for you, your family must have a damn horrorshow with such a father/husband

I cannibalized my family last week, cause forum activity was so slow.

mbze430 said:

I read his post and I just smile it off.  With his attitude, soon the majority of the users here are going 1) ignore all his post, 2) complain to the OCulus Mod, 3) people stop coming here and look for alternatives

If you think about it, most people probably just do what you do... read everything and smile. That's the smart thing to do. Anyone taking things overly personal are simply reflecting personal problems themselves. When someone brings up my family, for example, it makes me realize that the person doesn't separate their online avatar from their real life, which is probably why they are on the forum so upset with Oculus to begin with. Some of these people truly feel real life pain because of choices made by a Virtual Reality company. I find that humorous to no end.

As for your options: 1) people who claim to ignore me and then end up typing a wall of text that covers everything since their last interaction with me; 2) There have been at least 3 major callings for the Zenbane witch burning; 3) Those whom I have seen leave or reduce their activity were mostly pro-Vive / anti-Oculus cheerleaders, so it doesn't seem a great loss.

The alternatives are places like Reddit and the Steam forums. Those are not upgrades, and they are filled with people like me, minus the charm, charism, and willingness to offer a make-out session  😘

HiThere_
Superstar
I think Touch will trigger more headset purchases, which will trigger more VR support (even for driving games).

PSVR should also trigger more VR support (even for PC VR).

But the biggest barrier to VR is probably it's hardware cost, and it's going to take more then six months to get rid of that.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

PS-VR might do better at £350 but it doesn't provide the same experience as paying £800 for Vive/Rift minus the cost of the PC to run it. Looking at how the Sony Move controllers failed to catch on in any meaningfull sense means my expectations of VR adoption are and will remain low for the next 5 years.

This I agree with; very true. An assessment made based on observing the current situation.

Atmos73 said:

For VR to suceed you have to pull people away from their TV's and gaming monitors and Teleportation isn't going to do that. Who's going to stop playing the ultra slick Doom/monitor experience for the alternative that is the Doom Teleport monstrocity?

... and then valid assessment via current state observation goes bye-bye lol

Some of the most popular games that were first released for the Rift were free moving FPS: Technolust, Albino Lullaby, Ethan Carter, Eve-Valkyrie, Elite-Dangerous, Crystal Rift, Adr1ft, and Dreadhalls. That isn't even a comprehensive list.

At the time of release, the only Teleport game available was Farlands. Since then, only one more Teleport game has been released: Damaged Core.

How can anyone see the facts, stats, numbers... and then conclude the opposite of basic Math? I get that the announcement of Doom VR with Teleportation may cause some to feel that one game suddenly turned in to 30 games; Doom is a long-standing franchise afterall. But try to remember that more than one single Doom game has been made, and there's no reason to assume that more Doom VR games won't be released that attempt pure FPS. Especially once motion sickness issues become a minority.

As for "VR succeeding," it already has succeeded for reasons that aren't worth listing to anyone who hasn't figured their "know I am's" for their "what I'm not's." VR's ongoing success depends on market share, which is looking strong for another few years.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that the day people like Atmos73 start to publicly declare that "VR has succeeded" is the day all of us who love VR need to worry. When the bottom of the totem pole is smiling, sheit is going terribly wrong 😮

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
You couldn't do Math on the Teleportation vs FPS analysis, so if you think I'm gonna read your attempt to do Big Boy Math, then you craycray.

You seem to measure all things in a way that ends with you arriving at your own preconceived notions; and you'll use fairy dust math to get there if you have to. The only argument against VR's "growth" are the Video Games on Oculus Home and Steam. However, as I have stated many times before, VR is already changing lives (medical field), and Industries (I listed 12 full industries being changed by VR today).

VR is successful in many ways; the momentary loss of ongoing video game momentum is meaningless when it comes to realizing the true impact on the entire world. Only those with extreme tunnel vision can't see the bigger picture.

You don't judge success, you judge people. And badly.