cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diminished momentum in VR .

nrosko
Superstar
When VR was released there was a bit of a spike in some motivation for developers to include VR support. Beyond this Im' starting to worry that there is very little going on. i can under stand that some games are not suited or would require a great deal of  modification. but what worries me most is the lack of VR in new or existing driving games & sims that should in theory be ideal. Codemasters F1, forza ms 6 & rz3, RrE, r factor 2, automobilsta. Just seems to be more & more bleak as months go by. ED is great in vr but there is no hurry for star citizen or any other space game. Just seems things have flat lined. Games are released & it just feels like small silent farts of minimal indifference (oh a game has been released)rather than genuine excitement. 
Touch is going to make 0 difference to this imo, there will be a bit of fuss for a few months then back to normal. 
43 REPLIES 43

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Well that was a funny one-liner I admit, gave me a chuckle.

Nonetheless, you are blurring the current state in order to invent a "forest" that needs to be escaped from. Much like you did when you acted as though a mere two Teleportation games somehow outweigh the multitude of FPS-style games between Oculus Home and Steam.

As for business:
http://www.asymco.com/2010/10/18/what-really-matters-market-share-vs-profit-share/

But let's also be very clear about something: what you are arguing about right this moment is whether or not Oculus is a successful business. That is not what we began debating, silly boy. This is what you said:

"For VR to succeed"

VR is an Industry, with many organizations taking part. Oculus is one of several companies that partake in the VR Industry. To contrast your terrible statement about VR success, I mentioned the observable fact that VR is impacting lives, science, and industry across the globe that has nothing to do with video games. Next thing you know, your brain goes in to parrot mode and you start talking about Oculus the organization instead of VR the industry.

You have no idea how to stay on topic, and you clearly can't understand the difference between an Industry and the players in an Industry.

"VR isn't succeeding!"
"How do you know?"
"Cause Oculus, profits, n trees."

smilertoo
Protege
VR is in serious danger of running out of steam, it's been hyped for a couple of years now and its still pretty unaffordable and difficult to buy, people expect to walk into nearest electrical/games store and get stuff.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

smilertoo said:

VR is in serious danger of running out of steam, it's been hyped for a couple of years now and its still pretty unaffordable and difficult to buy, people expect to walk into nearest electrical/games store and get stuff.

I agree that Steam doesn't do much for VR 😛

mbze430
Rising Star
VR, as a whole, might be in the climb.  But I don't think Oculus themselves are leading the way, or HTC.  It's still an open market, there hasn't been a "single source" that has monopolize the playing field in VR.  If HTC nor Oculus/Facebook can become the "leader" in the VR force, I think a 3rd party might just come out and leave them BOTH behind.

I like to think we are at a plateau, but not at the apex/peak in VR.  We all need a little wow factor
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

mbze430 said:

I like to think we are at a plateau, but not at the apex/peak in VR.  We all need a little wow factor

Very interesting observation - having watched the last phase of VR migrate from the NASA fuelled VPL to the abortive SEGA VR, I would have to agree that we are at a plateau stage, after the 2014 fervor.

After the MarkZ statement, regarding he wished he had developed VR in-house than paid for OVR, we have to consider that most of what we are waiting on now are Daydream, and Apple's entry, (and possibly MS).

For the hardcore fanboys, the dip in interest in the current players must feel like a kick in the teeth, while for the rest of us - the best is yet to come!

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

mbze430
Rising Star
MS's has their entry in AR, which I personally think it's much "cooler" than VR.  When Hololens become at a price point for consumer level, I think the VR market itself will become even smaller.  It won't wipe out VR market completely, as I still think there will be a market for it (again in gaming), but AR seems to gear toward the masses, with much more applicable applications (real world applications).

Personally I see AR more suited for medical applications and other industrial applications.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I agree that no single organization has yet to truly reign supreme. Perhaps it is not really necessary. Options are good and there are many players in the VR Industry.

I do not agree that a "wow factor" is needed. When someone first tries a Vive or Rift or Hololens, they either feel the wow factor or they dont. Going forward, time is better spent making VR the new normal, not trying to constantly wow folks.

mbze430
Rising Star
I guess we'll have to wait a few years and see.  Right now the VR market is like the Today's AMD vs Nvidia market.  Two named players.

Would be nice to see the VR market in a competition like it was back in the video graphics card in the late-80s thru the 90s.  Then you have ATI, 3dfx, Nvidia, SiS, Via, Intel, Matrox.  Each of those company made silicon chips, but the ones that finally came out of those days added the WOW factor in their silicon design.

Eventually VR will need a wow factor.  This generation of VR is still relatively new, but it will need to wow the people one day(soon) again.  If they don't have a wow factor, it would die just like the VR back in the late 80s and early 90s

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Do you have any suggestions on what the "wow factor" would be? The VR back in the 80's and 90's had zero immersion. The VR today has complete immersion, and organizations are constantly pushing those limits.

What I see from Google and Intel coming out for VR has nothing to do with "wow'ing" people, and more to do with making VR as commonplace as electricity and the Internet. Proving that something is a necessity is far more effective than making someone say "wow" a few times.

VR is already changing the world:
https://www.google.com/#q=virtual+reality+changing+the+world

Headlines like this never existed for the VR "toys" that existed in the 80's and 90's. Anyone who thinks that VR is dying or that VR still needs a wow factor will still being thinking that 20 years from now when HMD's are as common as a pair of shoes.

mbze430
Rising Star
Maybe that's why I go skydiving and jumping out of bridges and go race cars.  I am a hard person to get excited.

When VR lets me FEEL the zero gravity and haptic feedback in such a way, I can't agree with "complete immersion".

Right now, we have a decent (visual) sight of VR, 3D sound placement within VR is still lacking (hence why Nvidia is pushing their new API for VR 3d sound placement), and completely lack haptic feedback.  I think we might have that within the next 10-15 years; affordable solution, but right now... we are in the infancy of what VR could be.

The best VR immersion right now is getting a full motion simulator (35k$+) with a HMD.  The next VISUAL WOW factor for visual aspect of VR would be picture quality rendering within VR

any 'reality' should have sight, sound, smell and sensible physic.