cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Console Gamers Having Trouble Going Back After VR?

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
I used to primarily play games on the PS4 and ever since I got the CV1, I found that I haven't touched the PS4 much since then. I didn't think this would happen since I love the PS4 but just haven't had that desire to go back. Maybe this will pass but it's a good thing that I can stream the PS4 to the PC and use with the Rift which is pretty cool especially in Big Screen where others can watch and socialize. 

Has anyone else felt this way? Are consoles doomed?
79 REPLIES 79

johnnysac5
Explorer
I've tried to go back to 2D gaming since I got my Vive and Rift 4 months ago but it's been really tough, even at 4k 60 fps.  I'm hoping gears of war 4 will get me back into it when it comes out next month.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

kcampbell said:

Have you played Life is Strange?

No I haven't, but I just looked it up and it appears to be quite fantastic. It has a 10/10 rating from Steam, and the trailer kinda reminds me of "The Longest Journey." This is worth a purchase. Thanks for the heads up.

"Life is Strange" is a wonderful game.

Yes it is. The first episode was slow but this game turned out to be the closest thing to the Butterfly Effect style of game I always wanted.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer

mbze430 said:

kcampbell said:

mbze430 said:

kcampbell said:

@Jose @SADGAMERSENPAI so I guess it doesn't feel right to play flat games in an app like Big Screen or Virtual Desktop or are there other factors? 

I tried that once, but the frame rate was horrible, rather just take off the HMD and just look at the beautiful 4k screen

I can understand that. I don't have a 4k monitor or TV yet and so far have not have trouble streaming PS4 in Virtual Desktop or Big Screen. 

not sure how PS4 display to a PC, since I don't own a PS4.  But since games needs to be rendered by the GPU, and the Virtual DEsktop/Big Screen also needs to render.  They are both required by the GPU.  In which case, you end up having to lower 2D/Flatscreen resolution and quality in order to play it within Virtual Desktop/Big Screen.

If I am going to do that, I might as well have it set to 4k@60 with everything max'd instead of putting down to 1080p with low settings 

The PS4 has a dedicated app for the PC. As long as you have the hardware and a good connection you'll get minimum to no lag. I've used it more in Big Screen than Virtual Desktop and the quality is not bad at all. I had to tweak the settings slightly because the audio lagged but that was an easy fix. I guess being able to socialize and play games in different settings especially a movie theater makes up for any loss in quality.

mbze430
Rising Star
kcampbell said:

The PS4 has a dedicated app for the PC. As long as you have the hardware and a good connection you'll get minimum to no lag. I've used it more in Big Screen than Virtual Desktop and the quality is not bad at all. I had to tweak the settings slightly because the audio lagged but that was an easy fix. I guess being able to socialize and play games in different settings especially a movie theater makes up for any loss in quality.

so it's like the Xbox One, since the PS4/XONE is rendering the graphics on it's own hardware then stream to the PC, then there is no need to render on the PC.  There will be no impact on FPS, unless you have a bad LAN connection (WIFI).  Flatscreen PC games has to be lowered because VR and the game itself now has to be render by the local GPU, which is no fun/good
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

kzintzi
Trustee
I was hoping that Bioshock remastered would entice me back to flatland but they're REALLY stunning examples of "why ports in general are bad, and why this port was a REALLY crap one" so I haven't made it back..

besides, I've been pretty much a one game guy since I got the headset.. hard to not keep playing Elite.. I played something else the other night and my wife actually asked me if the internet was broken as that's about the only reason I don't play it when I actually get the time :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@kzintzi that's disappointing. I was thinking about getting Bioshock. 

I purchased Attack on Titan for the PS4 and played a good amount of it over the weekend. I like it, however, I kept thinking this would be so much better in VR. Zipping through the air like Spiderman and taking down massive titans would be a nice intense VR game with the Touch. 

blanes
Rising Star
Nice Topic !   For Sim Racing VR is supreme, however I am thinking to pickup Forza Horizon 3 just for fun and that it will look so nice in 4K on my 40inch.  Also looking forward to Mafia 3 and I think I will always go back & forth depending on the game. VR Pinball is fantastic though and one day, hopefully soon, I will get back into Elite.

mbze430
Rising Star
speaking of Mafia 3.... I loaded up Mafia 2 this weekend... and it's amazing now my hardware will run Mafia 2 in 4k over 120fps lmfao.  Can't wait for Mafia 3.

I honestly have to say I am looking forward to all the flatscreen games more so than any of the VR games coming.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

kzintzi
Trustee
@kcampbell for me it wasn't much of an issue - I loved these games (best not talk about the waiting out the front of EBGames for Bioshock2 or the day off I took to play it) and already had them in my library so I got them for free..

I'm still kinda hopeful that they will fix them (the massive texture glitches on all lights in bioshock remastered make it impossible to play) but I'm not going to hold my breath..

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
When it comes to ordinary games, not so much, I can still enjoy them on a screen.
But I'm a sim racer, and going back to a single screen isn't really something I'm super exited about after being sat in the seat of the actual cars, with full size cars around me on track and being able to look into the corners!. Nothing will top that experience, besides being a real race driver and actually feeling the G forces.  😛
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S