cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOWNLOADING...................Why do we have to wear the headset to download..??

PIXELATED
Adventurer
My CV1 is convinced it's on my head while downloading something..... first I put my thumb over the sensor inside and got bored, so put the black lens cleaner cloth (supplied) over the sensor to write this note on another machine while i wait....

...still waiting to complete download...  

Please can someone tell me why Oculus have not the sense/ability to say..
"Thank you for downloading <insert Oculus approved software here> you can now put your CV1 aside and get on with something else till we're finished... we're sure it will be worth it - thank you for your patience."  ya di ya, or indeed disable the sensor while downloading is in progress then prompt when download is finished

Why do we have to wear the headset to download..??
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
3 REPLIES 3

kojack
MVP
MVP
It does allow downloading without wearing the CV1. I just downloaded windlands and the CV1 hasn't touched my head since I played Elite yesterday.

I heard that for some people (not all) the Through The Ages video player did extra downloading on it's own that only worked while the HMD was being worn, but that's the fault of the developers, not Oculus (the program itself installed from Oculus home fine, it just then did it's own downloading separately).
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

cybereality
Grand Champion
Apps downloaded through the Oculus app or Oculus Home can download in the background. Apps themselves that download additional content can sometimes not work if you're not wearing the headset. I believe this is because apps are automatically paused when you remove the headset so, depending on how the downloading code works, the download could be paused as well (or sometimes fail completely, I've seen on some early apps). Can you let me know what app this is happening with?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

PIXELATED
Adventurer

Apps downloaded through the Oculus app or Oculus Home can download in the background. Apps themselves that download additional content can sometimes not work if you're not wearing the headset. I believe this is because apps are automatically paused when you remove the headset so, depending on how the downloading code works, the download could be paused as well (or sometimes fail completely, I've seen on some early apps). Can you let me know what app this is happening with?

'Through the ages' as kojak mentioned, seems to be a prob. The download won't finish or has to restart every time the headset is taken off and put back on.

Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35