cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feral Rites Aussie Price $79.99

blanes
Rising Star
Stupidly high price for such a game.  Was mildly interested until seeing the price.  Rapidly losing interest in new VR content lately and pissed off at the unfair pricing of titles on the Aussie Oculus Store,  which does not reflect exchange rate.  😕

Picked up pre-order digital key for Mafia III Deluxe Edition with all pre-order content plus Season Pass which includes 3 new stories for aussie $66.  Now that is value for what will be an epic game.   B)
35 REPLIES 35

Murpheus77
Protege

OpticKing said:

ramon said:

Zenbane said:
Don't try to be witty, it doesn't suit you.

So now 3st. person view = 1rd.person view
your statement is very ambivalent. (You can look up the word in a dictionary)

No, third person = third person, the camera that's viewing the 3rd person is itself in first person... he was talking about when you're a passenger in a vehicle like that, you're in 3rd person. First person view would belong to the driver... derp. (remember now we're talking about the view of the car, not just the people in it individually.)

Pretty sure he asked you to refrain from attempting to pretend witty, so pulling up a word you probably had to look up (and even advised us to do the same as though 'ambivalent' was just invented) just seems hilariously ludicrous.

And to summarise, if you would be so kind; what exact comparison are we compelled to draw between viewing your avatar in a VR game and sitting in a real passenger seat in a real car? How exactly does that juxtaposition speak to one's preference for 1st over 3rd person view in VR gaming? I do not have a 3-metre selfie-stick permanently attached to the back of my neck (or my car) so I can only presume there must be a profound philosophical meaning to all of this. I'm absolutely sure of it.    

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
lol @PassiveVR and his repeat posts. I was thinking he was a Spambot, glad he confirmed it.

Murpheus77 said:
And to summarise, if you would be so kind; what exact comparison are we compelled to draw between viewing your avatar in a VR game and sitting in a real passenger seat in a real car? How exactly does that juxtaposition speak to one's preference for 1st over 3rd person view in VR gaming? I do not have a 3-metre selfie-stick permanently attached to the back of my neck (or my car) so I can only presume there must be a profound philosophical meaning to all of this. I'm absolutely sure of it.    

Whether you are the driver or the passenger, the immersion is not broken nor the experience any less real. The idea that only first person games are "worth" playing is incredibly childish.

Murpheus77
Protege

Zenbane said:

lol @PassiveVR and his repeat posts. I was thinking he was a Spambot, glad he confirmed it.

Murpheus77 said:

Whether you are the driver or the passenger, the immersion is not broken nor the experience any less real. The idea that only first person games are "worth" playing is incredibly childish.

Ahhhhh, I see. A very different answer to the one given by OpticKing (or perhaps just explained more succinctly) and in much the philosophical flavour I was anticipating.
Well, I can guarantee you this; I certainly enjoy driving my car a hell of a lot more than sitting in the passenger seat with the better half driving. That's a real and immersive 'experience' I wouldn't wish on anyone!

We could discuss further with an aim to quantify or even qualify the pertinence of immersion and realism when sitting on a bus compared to the importance of those concepts to a  (comparatively expensive) VR experience but I have always found it is experience, rather than philosophy, that tends to defines one's tastes and preferences throughout life. I am just content that now I have an understanding of your synonym.

Without wishing to fan the flames, 3rd person just doesn't work for me - in VR. And I have tried. Similar to sports games, it's just one genre (if I may call 3rd person a genre) that I'll continually overlook in any VR store due to the known enjoyment factor. Simultaneously, being away from my rig for weeks at a time means I actually spend more time out of VR playing games like Deadlight and Mass Effect 2 on an 8" tablet.

Warbloke
Superstar
Someone told me this thread was looking for the forum Alpha Male ?
Ok I'm here now... what is it you guys want ?
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Ahhhhh, I see. A very different answer to the one given by OpticKing (or perhaps just explained more succinctly) and in much the philosophical flavour I was anticipating.
Well, I can guarantee you this; I certainly enjoy driving my car a hell of a lot more than sitting in the passenger seat with the better half driving. That's a real and immersive 'experience' I wouldn't wish on anyone!

OpticKing was talking to that other fella, and properly explaining where the 3rd person vs 1st person views take place. I only took it a step further cause you asked 😄

But lol @ the wife driving. I understand completely.

Murpheus77 said:
We could discuss further with an aim to quantify or even qualify the pertinence of immersion and realism when sitting on a bus compared to the importance of those concepts to a  (comparatively expensive) VR experience but I have always found it is experience, rather than philosophy, that tends to defines one's tastes and preferences throughout life. I am just content that now I have an understanding of your synonym.

Without wishing to fan the flames, 3rd person just doesn't work for me - in VR. And I have tried. Similar to sports games, it's just one genre (if I may call 3rd person a genre) that I'll continually overlook in any VR store due to the known enjoyment factor. Simultaneously, being away from my rig for weeks at a time means I actually spend more time out of VR playing games like Deadlight and Mass Effect 2 on an 8" tablet.

In no way would I suggest that anyone be forced to play a type of game, or genre, that they do not like. But let's keep in mind some of the other stuff I said that is far more important than the passenger seat analogy:

There are so many legendary titles that are not 1st person view: Metroid, Zelda, Diablo, IceWind Dale, Baldurs Gate, Planescape: Torment.

Some of my best competitive play memories involve:

1) Battle.net Rank games as Protoss in StarCraft (god view)
2) Keep siege warfare in Dark Age of Camelot (3rd person)
3) BattleField 1942 (1st person)

People are free to choose only 1 genre if they like; my point is that condemning a game, a development studio, or a platform organization for supporting an option someone doesn't choose is futile, and self-defeating. The only thing achieved by limiting yourself to a single genre... is setting limits on ones own skills and abilities. I've not only enjoyed all of these games themselves, I've also enjoyed the process of mastering each unique style of gameplay, skill, and judgement call needed to excel.

OpticKing
Expert Trustee

I was merely explaining the logic behind Zenbane's post since the other person was lost and thinking Mr. Bane was saying "So 3rd person = 1rst person?"

Zenbane said:

Exactly, trying to persuade others not to buy it simply because of his own genre preference was exceedingly foolish.

It was semantics, I was attempting to clarify since ramon seemed to be taking what Zenbane said out of the context he said it in. I can see how it could be confusing though, I posted that at like 4am I think, maybe I could have said it more clearly if I was well rested lol.

Indeed, and to pontificate as such is a real treat, and conversely the main reason why the idiotic "dun bye this gaem it sooks because ______" without any real relevant thought bring forth such reactions
Murpheus77 said:

Everyone has their tastes as you said earlier. I know that when I jump into a car in a gta game my experience is still great even though the driving is in 3rd person, in fact it lets me be a better driver. Allowing you to see fully where you car is in relation to the rest of the objects and obstructions lets me become a perfectionist, rarely ever making mistakes turning because of this view. The IMMERSION factor of first person in driver seat is great though, and it does make a difference if that's the main deciding factor of you playing a game.

Zenbane said:
In no way would I suggest that anyone be forced to play a type of game, or genre, that they do not like. But let's keep in mind some of the other stuff I said that is far more important than the passenger seat analogy:

There are so many legendary titles that are not 1st person view: Metroid, Zelda, Diablo, IceWind Dale, Baldurs Gate, Planescape: Torment.

Some of my best competitive play memories involve:

1) Battle.net Rank games as Protoss in StarCraft (god view)
2) Keep siege warfare in Dark Age of Camelot (3rd person)
3) BattleField 1942 (1st person)

People are free to choose only 1 genre if they like; my point is that condemning a game, a development studio, or a platform organization for supporting an option someone doesn't choose is futile, and self-defeating. The only thing achieved by limiting yourself to a single genre... is setting limits on ones own skills and abilities. I've not only enjoyed all of these games themselves, I've also enjoyed the process of mastering each unique style of gameplay, skill, and judgement call needed to excel.

Well said, saved me some typing there. I agree, mastering each style is great fun, it's the main reason I believe it's best to play vs games and team last man standing stuff (overwatch) as random chars so you become good with all and great with some. Instead of great with one, over and over and over.

I think crashfu made a great point as well.
"I like how these people will use a game's price to justify their
uneducated opinions of it, no matter WHAT the game's price actually is,
even when they completely contradict themselves.   They insist that the
devs need to lower the price,  devs listen to them and lower it, and
then they insult the game/devs for it?   The phrases "Look a gift horse
in the mouth" and "Impossible to please" come to mind.  So do the words
"Petty" and "Ingrate"." Not referring to you here murhpeus.