Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Touch price "leak"

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
87 REPLIES 87

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer
I'm pretty pleased by that. I was hoping for under £200, kind of expecting £250 (which would give price parity with Vive), so £190 is a pleasant surprise. Fairly cheap compared to any other high-end controllers!

Warbloke
Superstar

Hmm, on the fairly cheap compared to other high end controllers thing... that's fair if the value of the tech/ components + profits is around £200 and this is comparable with other high end controllers...
I think this is down to the deeper meaning of 'value' here then... these other comparible high end controllers... that justifies the £200... I assume there are many games out there you can use them with ? so you can get a lot of use out of them.   

Would you spend £200 on a controller if there was literally zero games or uses... its a lot of money if it just sat there on your desk, doing nothing as there was nothing you could use it for at all.... would you buy one ?

No? how about 1 game... would you buy one? how about 2 games ?
This will vary for us all depending on the value we place on each game perhaps... but lets just say that 'somewhere' there is a 'number' of content that makes the purchase of a controller have value to you... Id say the more expensive the controller, the more content that's valuable to you is required before you can justify the cost.

I can afford £200, but  don't want to spend £200 for something to sit on my desk un-used.
The 'value' of this to me is therefore in the content that comes out, that I can use it for.

So as I say - there is probably lots of games out there one could choose from, which might justify the £200 cost of these other comparable controllers...

Whether we can say the same about the TOUCH... remains to be seen... I like the idea of it.... but if no decent content... that's a £200 thing sitting on my desk I cant use therefore would feel it has no value.

ooh, and to @kernow and @Techy111 - Im too innocent to know what you are talking about with this 'other hand' 😛

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
You can't compare Touch to the Vive wands or PSVR wands.  Touch gives you actual hands with positional and gestural tracking.  Wands are just positional.  It's like hands versus stubs.

People rave about the immersion provided by VR inputs even without gestural tracking.  The Touch is on another level with its gestural tracking.

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I'm ready - Oculus, please take my money anytime.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that's about the price most were expecting - as mentioned above, that puts the overall cost at pretty much the same as Vive.

have the final specs been released yet? (Guessing not, but no harm asking...) I really hope there's something similar to chaperone for you guys. You WILL need it!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

notsram said:

have the final specs been released yet? (Guessing not, but no harm asking...) I really hope there's something similar to chaperone for you guys. You WILL need it!

I don't think it's accurate to compare the needs of an exclusive Vive user to a Rift user; but thanks for your concern.

You can't compare Touch to the Vive wands or PSVR wands.  Touch gives you actual hands with positional and gestural tracking.  Wands are just positional.  It's like hands versus stubs.

People rave about the immersion provided by VR inputs even without gestural tracking.  The Touch is on another level with its gestural tracking.

Hands vs Stubs analogy is fantastic lol

Once Touch is released it will be interesting to see the debates on Steam and Reddit about which hand controllers are superior.

I hope the psvr is a massive success so it shakes up oculus and forces them to lower their prices to maintain their market share of vr.

With the Playstation pro set to up the visual detail, they're going to have to contend with a massive user base who have no interest in pc gaming. Developers will go where the money is.

Even if PSVR manages to overcome its vomit inducing experience, that market is strictly for console gamers. PSVR is competing with other consoles specifically, not that PC-based market. I posted a Forbes article about this, and the general understanding is that PSVR won't really impact PCVR at all.

I do think that any form of competition is great, because it does force benefits such as improved next-Gen products (e.g. CV2), and lowered prices. These benefits will likely happen when all HMD organizations are actively competing. Right now it's just really HTC and Oculus, so price drops on hardware likely won't be around for another couple of years.

I'm okay with that though. I still like the feeling of being the cool (nerdy) kid on the block.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
There is already - it's called "Nose gap"

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
I wish now the leak is out, Oculus theres no point waiting, its leaked haha :smiley:
just release so i can buy 😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Now that this discussion is on 2 pages, I gotta ask...

Haven't we all known the price ($200 USD) and estimated date (mid-to-late October) since like, August?

The price and release date were speculated at this for awhile, and then further confirmed after Ubisoft reported the release date for their VR titles. This thread is a fun read, but I'm confused about the general shock n' awe being depicted over what I thought was common knowledge 😮

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I'm a little confused here.
When I ordered the Rift I also "Reserved my spot inline for the Oculus Touch".
But what does that mean? Have I pre-ordered it or not?
If yes then awesome! If no, then why are "Game" taking pre-orders before "Oculus"?