New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Potential Touch price "leak"

Comments

• FunmotionFunmotion Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    you think there will be enough for everyone or will they be sold out?
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane
    Dunno, but it would be funny if it was announced that due to limited stock - purchases are limited to 1 per person.  Then when you opened the box... you only had 1 controller... so could only use one hand. lol
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    Warbloke said:
    [...] purchases are limited to 1 per person.  Then when you opened the box... you only had 1 controller... so could only use one hand. lol
    At least you would have at least one hand in. However, for some VR genres, I'm guessing they only need one hand because the other will already be in use. :P
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    @Warbloke ahhhh but it would leave the other hand free, no ? ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,617 Valuable Player
    edited September 2016
    Warbloke said:
    Dunno, but it would be funny if it was announced that due to limited stock - purchases are limited to 1 per person.  Then when you opened the box... you only had 1 controller... so could only use one hand. lol
    It would be kind of funny:) but my understanding is that because of the rift design and many parts - it was easy for it to have some back draws when making the unit. With the simple design of touch - there should be enough for everyone pretty quickly.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1795374/iphone-7-delays-on-uk-launch-day-spark-twitter-fury-as-some-told-phones-wont-be-delivered-until-october/

Looks like the new iphone is also getting a bit of fury over delays xD
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,315
    Wintermute
    I'm perhaps a little odd, ok forget the perhaps, but I am equally looking forward to having two cameras.  I occasionally get some visual odd effects when I'm looking over my shoulder or at my undercarriage, no comments please, in Dcs world and my position relative to the single camera appears to make a difference.  With two, if they work as I think they do, there will be less chance of the Rift being unseen by both cameras.

ok, back on topic, I am still looking forward to trying out some of the non-cockpit game, dead and buried and maybe hover Junkers being good examples.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,362 Valuable Player
    edited September 2016
    I just came from the GAME webshop and all it says is that Touch is "coming soon". Seems strange you can supposedly pre-order it in GAME in London, but nowhere else. I'll pop in the local store on Friday and see what they say - but I think I know what that will be, already.

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,125 Volunteer Moderator
    blanes said:
    Holy Fat Beach Batman !  :o  That's about $327 oz  -  I be game padding for a long time more  :s
    If the english price isn't bloated compared to the direct us dollar exchange rate, then taking into account 20% vat in england and 10% gst in australia, the price would be around $296au.
    But then they will probably add at least $100au for shipping (CV1 was going to be around $180au shipping, if they made us pay it).

We really need to know the US price though, since they will be billing us in US dollars like the CV1, the english price may not represent the price we pay (as people in europe and england know, a set local price may not match the exchange rate).

Still works out cheaper than my HOTAS Warthog. :)

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,044 Valuable Player
    Well Kojack I'm still hoping we get a % discount for pre-ordering Touch when ordering the Rift. 

Fingers (and other bits) crossed.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • JaimieVandenberghJaimieVandenbergh Posts: 255
    Nexus 6
    I'm pretty pleased by that. I was hoping for under £200, kind of expecting £250 (which would give price parity with Vive), so £190 is a pleasant surprise. Fairly cheap compared to any other high-end controllers!
    3Jane

Hmm, on the fairly cheap compared to other high end controllers thing... that's fair if the value of the tech/ components + profits is around £200 and this is comparable with other high end controllers...
    I think this is down to the deeper meaning of 'value' here then... these other comparible high end controllers... that justifies the £200... I assume there are many games out there you can use them with ? so you can get a lot of use out of them.   

Would you spend £200 on a controller if there was literally zero games or uses... its a lot of money if it just sat there on your desk, doing nothing as there was nothing you could use it for at all.... would you buy one ?

No? how about 1 game... would you buy one? how about 2 games ?
    This will vary for us all depending on the value we place on each game perhaps... but lets just say that 'somewhere' there is a 'number' of content that makes the purchase of a controller have value to you... Id say the more expensive the controller, the more content that's valuable to you is required before you can justify the cost.

I can afford £200, but  don't want to spend £200 for something to sit on my desk un-used.
    The 'value' of this to me is therefore in the content that comes out, that I can use it for.

So as I say - there is probably lots of games out there one could choose from, which might justify the £200 cost of these other comparable controllers...

Whether we can say the same about the TOUCH... remains to be seen... I like the idea of it.... but if no decent content... that's a £200 thing sitting on my desk I cant use therefore would feel it has no value.

ooh, and to @kernow and @Techy111 - Im too innocent to know what you are talking about with this 'other hand' :P

• JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 514
    Neo
    You can't compare Touch to the Vive wands or PSVR wands.  Touch gives you actual hands with positional and gestural tracking.  Wands are just positional.  It's like hands versus stubs.

People rave about the immersion provided by VR inputs even without gestural tracking.  The Touch is on another level with its gestural tracking.
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    I'm ready - Oculus, please take my money anytime.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    I think that's about the price most were expecting - as mentioned above, that puts the overall cost at pretty much the same as Vive.

have the final specs been released yet? (Guessing not, but no harm asking...) I really hope there's something similar to chaperone for you guys. You WILL need it!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,006 Valuable Player
    notsram said:
    have the final specs been released yet? (Guessing not, but no harm asking...) I really hope there's something similar to chaperone for you guys. You WILL need it!
    I don't think it's accurate to compare the needs of an exclusive Vive user to a Rift user; but thanks for your concern.

You can't compare Touch to the Vive wands or PSVR wands.  Touch gives you actual hands with positional and gestural tracking.  Wands are just positional.  It's like hands versus stubs.

People rave about the immersion provided by VR inputs even without gestural tracking.  The Touch is on another level with its gestural tracking.
    Hands vs Stubs analogy is fantastic lol

Once Touch is released it will be interesting to see the debates on Steam and Reddit about which hand controllers are superior.

I hope the psvr is a massive success so it shakes up oculus and forces them to lower their prices to maintain their market share of vr.

With the Playstation pro set to up the visual detail, they're going to have to contend with a massive user base who have no interest in pc gaming. Developers will go where the money is.
    Even if PSVR manages to overcome its vomit inducing experience, that market is strictly for console gamers. PSVR is competing with other consoles specifically, not that PC-based market. I posted a Forbes article about this, and the general understanding is that PSVR won't really impact PCVR at all.

I do think that any form of competition is great, because it does force benefits such as improved next-Gen products (e.g. CV2), and lowered prices. These benefits will likely happen when all HMD organizations are actively competing. Right now it's just really HTC and Oculus, so price drops on hardware likely won't be around for another couple of years.

I'm okay with that though. I still like the feeling of being the cool (nerdy) kid on the block.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,362 Valuable Player
    There is already - it's called "Nose gap"

• nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    I wish now the leak is out, Oculus theres no point waiting, its leaked haha :smiley:
    just release so i can buy :D
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,006 Valuable Player
    edited September 2016
    Now that this discussion is on 2 pages, I gotta ask...

Haven't we all known the price ($200 USD) and estimated date (mid-to-late October) since like, August?

The price and release date were speculated at this for awhile, and then further confirmed after Ubisoft reported the release date for their VR titles. This thread is a fun read, but I'm confused about the general shock n' awe being depicted over what I thought was common knowledge :o
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    I'm a little confused here.
    When I ordered the Rift I also "Reserved my spot inline for the Oculus Touch".
    But what does that mean? Have I pre-ordered it or not?
    If yes then awesome! If no, then why are "Game" taking pre-orders before "Oculus"?
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited September 2016
    Warbloke said:

Would you spend £200 on a controller if there was literally zero games or uses... its a lot of money if it just sat there on your desk, doing nothing as there was nothing you could use it for at all.... would you buy one ?

I bought a $200 HOTAS joystick setup for Elite Dangerous, and I've gotten a ton of hours of enjoyment from that one game, and the HOTAS made it SO much better. But this is a different case - this doesn't just enable one new type of gameplay, but two: motion controlling, and room-scale (due to the inclusion of the second camera). Also, we know there are already lots of software that supports it, because they've been making room-scale motion-controller games for Vive, and most of those will work with the Touch with no/minimal changes. And of course, the reason Oculus gave for delaying the Touch from Q2 2016 to second half of 2016 was so that more games would be available at launch.
  • Ricktor_BlackRicktor_Black Posts: 198
    Art3mis
    That is exactly what I was expecting. Most people were assuming that price point for months and it brings the Rift in line price-wise to Vive. Same basic price for arguably better headset and better controllers (based on feedback I've read). Sounds about right to me. Bring it on. I'd buy it right now if I could.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    @Zenbane we love a long thread mate, like a long queue in the UK. Put us in one and we'll stay for days :) @Warbloke codswallop mate, innocent my arse :smiley:
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,147 Valuable Player
    edited September 2016
    $200 =/= £200 tho Zenbane, though thanks to Brexit the difference is no where near as much as it once was.  This price does suggest if we had not had Brexit, or if they had launched sooner we would have been looking at a sweet spot of close to £150 which i think would have been fab!.

I still think it is premature to conclude already that touch is better than the wands... it may be for 250 degree tracking but I dunno about you guys, but if i am getting motion controllers for full VR presence, imo I want 360 degree tracking for the most part.  The VIVE is built for this on the ground up, the Rift seems to have it, but oculus seem reticent to actively support it with 2 cameras at least which has my alarm bells ringing at least.

comfy immersive controls is all for nought if when i turn around my arms dissapear...... and (& am not saying they do not exist) but i have seen videos of people juggling the wands in VR such is the level of accuracy.... can we do that with Touch?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    I believe it's been suggested by those who have tried both that Wands feel better suited for the feeling of holding guns, swords etc whereas Touch are much better replicating hands.

3Jane
    edited September 2016
    I believe it's been suggested by those who have tried both that Wands feel better suited for the feeling of holding guns, swords etc whereas Touch are much better replicating hands.
    If that's true then I went the wrong route buying a rift :/

So with Vive we get to slice n shot but the rift lets you poke a finger in the eye?

edited September 2016
    Well it's probably quite subjective Bloodlet. I know from my own experience that the wands feel great when shooting or swiping because my hand is griping the correct way. But it does feel less realistic when they are meant to be hands. I've not tried Touch to comment. Maybe PM Mr Wilde and see if he has any further comment to add seeing as he has them and doesn't mind showing them off.

Terrible pun there.

• EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Cant wait to see the preorder page, the f5 war starts again. :p
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    3Jane
    edited September 2016
    Zenbane said:
    Now that this discussion is on 2 pages, I gotta ask...

Haven't we all known the price ($200 USD) and estimated date (mid-to-late October) since like, August?

The price and release date were speculated at this for awhile, and then further confirmed after Ubisoft reported the release date for their VR titles. This thread is a fun read, but I'm confused about the general shock n' awe being depicted over what I thought was common knowledge :o

Bah I missed it then. I suppose I was kind of aware of the common knowledge on folks 'speculation' or price and release date, and that the 'release date' had a bit of further evidence to back up the speculation on release date.
    The price still remaining as pure speculation... which to be fair is just folk guessing.  Maybe I hoped they would be guessing wrong :( Ok, so folk are good at guessing... but for those of us who hoped they might be wrong - once evidence to backup the price speculation came out - its a bit of a shock to those of us who hoped it would be lower :(

Techy111 said:
    @Zenbane we love a long thread mate, like a long queue in the UK. Put us in one and we'll stay for days :)@Warbloke codswallop mate, innocent my arse :smiley:

I am so innocent dammit !
    I have a Halo and everything... ive had it a long time to be honest....
    since I got windows 10 last year, it was nice to finally meet Cortana gain ;)

Warbloke said:

I bought a $200 HOTAS joystick setup for Elite Dangerous, and I've gotten a ton of hours of enjoyment from that one game, and the HOTAS made it SO much better. But this is a different case - this doesn't just enable one new type of gameplay, but two: motion controlling, and room-scale (due to the inclusion of the second camera). Also, we know there are already lots of software that supports it, because they've been making room-scale motion-controller games for Vive, and most of those will work with the Touch with no/minimal changes. And of course, the reason Oculus gave for delaying the Touch from Q2 2016 to second half of 2016 was so that more games would be available at launch.

This is why I also said "This will vary for us all depending on the value we place on each game perhaps"  if the value you place on 1 game is enough content for you to buy a HOTAS - its not for me to tell you I think you are  wrong....  its just not enough for me personally.
    3Jane
    edited September 2016
    I'm expecting to see a lot of customized controller attachments anyway so this may be a mute point.

For example you can't get the correct feel or control of holding a rifle if you have two separate remotes you need them connected somehow.

Like this guy uses here:
    (It's swinging from his neck while he's using the pistol at the beginning)

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,253 Volunteer Moderator
    Bloodlet said:
    I'm expecting to see a lot of customized controller attachments anyway so this may be a mute point.

For example you can't get the correct feel or control of holding a rifle if you have two separate remotes you need them connected somehow.

Holding a two-handed object like a rifle is one of those cases where devs will have to find creative ways of dealing with differences between reality and the virtual world.

We've seen similar issues of incongruent reality when players try to do things like passing a hand-held virtual object through part of the virtual scenery. The dev can choose to allow the objects to intersect, make the player lose his grip on the object when they collide, or disassociate the virtual hand from the real hand position to preserve the physics of the scene.

In the case of the rifle, I think the best solution is to anchor the gun to the trigger hand, and slightly disassociate the position of the forward hand. The gun would be allowed to pivot based on the line between the two hands, but the absolute position of the forward hand would not be fully used (you could slide your hand along the axis of the barrel without impacting the position of the gun). This would allow you to aim the barrel with the forward hand, line up the sights, etc. while ignoring the fact that your hands are not really locked at a set distance apart because you're not really holding a physical object between them. I've seen this solution implemented in some of the Vive shooting gallery games, and it seems to work pretty well.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0