Did you mean: 

Potential Touch price "leak"

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
87 REPLIES 87

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

Warbloke said:

Would you spend £200 on a controller if there was literally zero games or uses... its a lot of money if it just sat there on your desk, doing nothing as there was nothing you could use it for at all.... would you buy one ?

No? how about 1 game... would you buy one? how about 2 games ?

I bought a $200 HOTAS joystick setup for Elite Dangerous, and I've gotten a ton of hours of enjoyment from that one game, and the HOTAS made it SO much better. But this is a different case - this doesn't just enable one new type of gameplay, but two: motion controlling, and room-scale (due to the inclusion of the second camera). Also, we know there are already lots of software that supports it, because they've been making room-scale motion-controller games for Vive, and most of those will work with the Touch with no/minimal changes. And of course, the reason Oculus gave for delaying the Touch from Q2 2016 to second half of 2016 was so that more games would be available at launch.

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
That is exactly what I was expecting. Most people were assuming that price point for months and it brings the Rift in line price-wise to Vive. Same basic price for arguably better headset and better controllers (based on feedback I've read). Sounds about right to me. Bring it on. I'd buy it right now if I could.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@Zenbane we love a long thread mate, like a long queue in the UK. Put us in one and we'll stay for days 🙂 @Warbloke codswallop mate, innocent my arse :smiley:
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
$200 =/= £200 tho Zenbane, though thanks to Brexit the difference is no where near as much as it once was.  This price does suggest if we had not had Brexit, or if they had launched sooner we would have been looking at a sweet spot of close to £150 which i think would have been fab!.

I still think it is premature to conclude already that touch is better than the wands... it may be for 250 degree tracking but I dunno about you guys, but if i am getting motion controllers for full VR presence, imo I want 360 degree tracking for the most part.  The VIVE is built for this on the ground up, the Rift seems to have it, but oculus seem reticent to actively support it with 2 cameras at least which has my alarm bells ringing at least.

comfy immersive controls is all for nought if when i turn around my arms dissapear...... and (& am not saying they do not exist) but i have seen videos of people juggling the wands in VR such is the level of accuracy.... can we do that with Touch?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I believe it's been suggested by those who have tried both that Wands feel better suited for the feeling of holding guns, swords etc whereas Touch are much better replicating hands.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Bloodlet
Rising Star

I believe it's been suggested by those who have tried both that Wands feel better suited for the feeling of holding guns, swords etc whereas Touch are much better replicating hands.

If that's true then I went the wrong route buying a rift 😕

So with Vive we get to slice n shot but the rift lets you poke a finger in the eye?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Well it's probably quite subjective Bloodlet. I know from my own experience that the wands feel great when shooting or swiping because my hand is griping the correct way. But it does feel less realistic when they are meant to be hands. I've not tried Touch to comment. Maybe PM Mr Wilde and see if he has any further comment to add seeing as he has them and doesn't mind showing them off.

Terrible pun there.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Cant wait to see the preorder page, the f5 war starts again. 😛
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Warbloke
Superstar

Zenbane said:

Now that this discussion is on 2 pages, I gotta ask...

Haven't we all known the price ($200 USD) and estimated date (mid-to-late October) since like, August?

The price and release date were speculated at this for awhile, and then further confirmed after Ubisoft reported the release date for their VR titles. This thread is a fun read, but I'm confused about the general shock n' awe being depicted over what I thought was common knowledge 😮

Bah I missed it then. I suppose I was kind of aware of the common knowledge on folks 'speculation' or price and release date, and that the 'release date' had a bit of further evidence to back up the speculation on release date.
The price still remaining as pure speculation... which to be fair is just folk guessing.  Maybe I hoped they would be guessing wrong 😞 Ok, so folk are good at guessing... but for those of us who hoped they might be wrong - once evidence to backup the price speculation came out - its a bit of a shock to those of us who hoped it would be lower 😞

Techy111 said:
@Zenbane we love a long thread mate, like a long queue in the UK. Put us in one and we'll stay for days 🙂 @Warbloke codswallop mate, innocent my arse :smiley:

I am so innocent dammit !
I have a Halo and everything... ive had it a long time to be honest....
since I got windows 10 last year, it was nice to finally meet Cortana gain 😉

Warbloke said:

Would you spend £200 on a controller if there was literally zero games or uses... its a lot of money if it just sat there on your desk, doing nothing as there was nothing you could use it for at all.... would you buy one ?

No? how about 1 game... would you buy one? how about 2 games ?

I bought a $200 HOTAS joystick setup for Elite Dangerous, and I've gotten a ton of hours of enjoyment from that one game, and the HOTAS made it SO much better. But this is a different case - this doesn't just enable one new type of gameplay, but two: motion controlling, and room-scale (due to the inclusion of the second camera). Also, we know there are already lots of software that supports it, because they've been making room-scale motion-controller games for Vive, and most of those will work with the Touch with no/minimal changes. And of course, the reason Oculus gave for delaying the Touch from Q2 2016 to second half of 2016 was so that more games would be available at launch.

This is why I also said "This will vary for us all depending on the value we place on each game perhaps"  if the value you place on 1 game is enough content for you to buy a HOTAS - its not for me to tell you I think you are  wrong....  its just not enough for me personally.
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I'm expecting to see a lot of customized controller attachments anyway so this may be a mute point.

For example you can't get the correct feel or control of holding a rifle if you have two separate remotes you need them connected somehow.

Like this guy uses here:
(It's swinging from his neck while he's using the pistol at the beginning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPoe3BVrpLA