Lost all respect for Palmer and Oculus — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Comments

• Yes as Palmer is spending millions to spread lies and disinformation, let's censor any mention of it on his companies site. Makes sense...
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    Not from the US and don't live there, so don't give a crap about US politics.  But reading that and I can't find any evidence that any of it is true, other then 'The Daily Beast' saying it's true ?

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    Yes as Palmer is spending millions to spread lies and disinformation, let's censor any mention of it on his companies site. Makes sense...
    If you would read the actual article you quoted, the organization has less than $10,000. That's not "millions".
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    edited September 2016
    Yes as Palmer is spending millions to spread lies and disinformation, let's censor any mention of it on his companies site. Makes sense...
    If you would read the actual article you quoted, the organization has less than $10,000. That's not "millions".
    Come on now, don't let a couple of zeros ruin a good story. 

True or not who knows and time will tell i guess ? But what I find odd is Palmer has been in Media blackout for sometime, with only a few high end interviews etc which seem to be ones that have passed through PR first ( just my opinion ) Yet he speaks to The Daily beast about this, something which him of all people knew would cause dramas for him and Oculus, just seems odd. 
  • "No one within the group answered how much money the group currently has on hand. And without an official accounting with the Federal Election Commission, there’s no way for the public to know."
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Zandil said:
    Not from the US and don't live there, so don't give a crap about US politics.  But reading that and I can't find any evidence that any of it is true, other then 'The Daily Beast' saying it's true ?

Yeah, I hope this is the case, but I don't know what to believe..

On one hand, like you said, it's just the writer of this article claiming that Palmer confessed these things to them, with no proof to back it up.  And there are people out there who just love making up tabloid-grade scandals to scare Oculus customers away, and what better way to make Oculus lose customers than claim its founder is secretly supporting white supremacists?

On the other hand, Palmer IS a homeschooled white boy, and now a very rich man, who really likes memes and anime girls, and is affiliated with "the PC Master Race", sooo  I can't say I'd be 100% surprised if this turned out to be true?

But even if it is, there's more to Oculus than just its founder.  As long as the company itself stands for good things and doesn't endorse this bullshit, it's not going to change my opinion of anything except Palmer himself.

It's like, when it came out that the guy who created that cartoon network show "Clarence" was sexually assaulting his coworkers, but they fired him and let the rest of the studio continue making the show, and fans continued watching it, because nobody else involved with it had done anything wrong.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • TC1999TC1999 Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    edited September 2016
    What really scares me is putting on my rift and seeing the following " here is a party political broadcast from the following party - mandatory viewing " nnooooo

Trump or Clinton in full 3d viewing starng you in the face and pointing is without dought something to give me nightmares for a very long time.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    Not from America - is The Daily Beast like The Times?
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    andyring said:
    I think it's a tabloid...

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    Hope we can remove the political stuff from this forum - and focus on why we are here.

If true the ramifications are bigger than any dev forum so not really worth our time.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,262 Valuable Player
    There does appear to be a bit of truth to the story, although from what I've ready across multiple sources, it was no more than $11,000 that was raised. There is no evidence whatsoever of "millions." And we're talking about Internet Troll behavior, like posting meme's, which doesn't exactly take a lot of money.

Personally, I think Trump is pure garbage. Yet there are people out there who support him. And as crazy as I can try to make these people out to be, in the end it is politics and everyone is free to express themselves however they wish within the confines of the law.

If Palmer really is doing this kinda stuff then maybe it's a good thing this information came out. I wouldn't say that Palmer nor Oculus need to be burned at the stake, but perhaps a bit of self-reflection is now in order lol

Zuckerberg has a history of giving donations to Republicans, but he did come out against Donald Trump,
    http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-political-recent/2016/04/22/id/725348/

Corporations have been politically aligned for many long years. Oil & Gas companies, for example, have done much, much worse than what Palmer has done. Yet none of us are calling for a ban on fueling our vehicles, right? If we still pump gas despite those atrocities, I see no reason to boycott an HMD because of a fund raising scheme that only impacted online shenanigans.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • tzuvelatzuvela Posts: 205
    Art3mis
    190£ touch makes more sense now. Bdw, have a look at new Palmer memes with trump, hilarious :D 
    For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.
    Richard Feynman
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,063 Valuable Player

Oculus is owned by facebook not Palmer in any case.

• tzuvelatzuvela Posts: 205
    Art3mis
    So there will be no Trump promotional material bundled with Touch?
    For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.
    Richard Feynman
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,352 Volunteer Moderator
    Maybe this is a sign that the Touch launch is going to be as smooth as they are promising. As we all know, there's always got to be something going on to piss off fans at each launch. :)

(On the serious side, if this is true then it's pretty disappointing. I just don't get why he'd admit to this so close to the Touch launch, knowing it is an issue that is clearly divisive)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    TwoHedWlf said:
    andyring said:
    I think it's a tabloid...

Never judge a book by its cover - there could be some very sobre, serious matters being discussed inside there lol
    edited September 2016
    The news hit the Guardian a few hours ago,
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/23/oculus-rift-vr-palmer-luckey-trump-shitposts

Palmer's efforts seem more anti-Clinton as opposed to pro-Trump. This election year is definitely a "lesser of two evils" situation, moreso now than in that last 2-3 decades.

It probably wasn't the wisest choice, but this is what happens when you give people lots of money; judgement calls get a little stranger. Hopefully this won't distract Oculus too much from their VR goals. If things get outta hand, Zuckerberg will have to step in and sit Palmer in the Timeout corner, dunce cap n' all.

Side note: I kinda like the phrase "shitpost" for some reason. Not sure why... :p

kojack said:
    On the serious side, if this is true then it's pretty disappointing. I just don't get why he'd admit to this so close to the Touch launch, knowing it is an issue that is clearly divisive...
    @kojack, it seems so wierd I agree. A lot of conspiracy theriums flying around as you would expect, though I tend to beleive that this news is far from the full disclosure of what is going on. I see a trend in using a proxy from the @Batboy, @TechGuru days, but not to this level of duplicy.

Obviously he has been seen to be sidelined from the cut and thrust of OVR marketing and development, working on his own pet projects and Tweeting only on observational than corporate perspective. The lack of qualifications to hold a dedicated position within the company must be incredibly frustrating, and examples of this bubling to the surface have been suggested.

As one Reddit lurker suggested, possibly we see a petulant toss of the head as he is positioned to exit the company. Now sidelined by FB, taking a greater control of positioning after the 'confused' launch of CV1, and some 'contenchious' business decisions (DRM, QA support, etc.,).

All this, and the three legal suits in the wings (which he will have to defend minus FB involvement) may mean that this could be a good time to step down and leave with some credibility remaining and avoid tarnishing the brand?

Anything that can defuse the controlled trolling of the VR community forums and remove the heat from the discussion, can only be a good thing IMHO.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited September 2016
    kevinw729 said:
    Anything that can defuse the controlled trolling of the VR community forums and remove the heat from the discussion, can only be a good thing IMHO.
    The irony is that what Palmer was funding translates to controlled trolling. He was backing an organization dedicated to attack-memes and shit posting. Both being treated as effective behavioral tools.

I kinda agree completely that aggressive online behavior is effective. It's just unfortunate that Palmer went on the Trump side of the fence with that.

However, I do not think that anyone who funds controlled trolling should themselves be spared controlled trolling. I do love Oculus in terms of their platform offering, but if Palmer wants to play in the troll playground then queue the circus music and let the fun begin.
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    trump for president
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,878
    Project 2501
    I hope the article is true and palmer is supporting trump and not that murdering (bengazi) lying, security breaching (emails) etc. Sack of sh.t clinton
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane

If when the Touch comes out and we find it is smaller than we all imagined... (clearly designed for small hands) I will believe this stuff.... until then.... meh

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
    edited September 2016
    inovator said:
    I hope the article is true and palmer is supporting trump and not that murdering (bengazi) lying, security breaching (emails) etc. Sack of sh.t clinton
    This thread isn't about who is better, the racist blowhard known as Trump, or the bad decision making Clinton.

This thread is about Palmer and his decision to raise funds for attack memes and shit posting. If you and your extremely limited brain power take this chance to pollute the thread with actual political rhetoric then it will likely be locked by the Moderators.

Stay on topic or GTFO.
  • lukeskywatcherlukeskywatcher Posts: 103 Oculus Start Member
    Absolutly horrified anyone could support trump. WTF are people supporting such a sexist, racist, money grabbing wankers like him? Live in irleand and am really worried about the extra wars and suffering this man will create..and PALMER BACKS HIM!!! Im sickened and want to sell my rift now, TRUMP and PALMER totally OUT-OF-ORDER. This is not politics, its like a new neo nazis uprising! GROW UP and WISE up America
    You just opened the door!
    This post has allowed perfect examples for the insidious nature of posting-anonymity to impinge on these discussions. Attack trolling to try and deflect. The 'Howard Stern' approach to discussions, if you like.

I have made a point to avoid treating the information as fact but using it to open a discussion. To turn it into a pre-election bun-fight shows the issues surrounding moderation, posting and if anonymity still has a place in forum discussion, away from the manipulated echo chamber that is Reddit and the like.

Sadly, those that feel they have no voice, while watching others with 'too much to say', leads to the feeling of impotence and a loss of empowerment they want to reflect the best they can (bomb, ballot, bellicose) - leading to Europe's problems and Brexit, and to America's problems and the current incumbents to lead the country!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,310
    Wintermute
    It will rightly be the choice of those living in the US to decide upon who would be their best representative on the world stage.  

As a UK citizen however, I am just "disappointed" that we are now not going to see the "dream scenario" of having Trump as President AND Boris Johnson as Prime Minister.  

If that had happened, Spitting Image would have been back in a heartbeat, although it might be tough for them to create more outlandish characatures than the originals.

ps if you are too young to remember Spitting Image, i recommend Googling it.
    edited September 2016

The one great thing to emerge from this "shitstorm" is the reality for the need for correct moderation across all forum services (rather than leaving it to the poorly supported).

That, individuals are accused of succeeding in using influence and mechanisms to manipulate discussions and attack contrary posters views (and the posters themselves), shines a light on practices that saw many of us leave Reddit, and abandon visiting even this site for a time. 

As Youtube looks to the 'Heroes' unpaid moderator shill approach, FB attempts to negate its responsibilities to moderate, and another social media service starts a lengthy legal battle over the arbitration of their moderation responsibilities - this discussion, linked to the issue of political favouritism and association of executives, is sure to run, and run.

So much for a clean TOUCH launch!

Edit - In typing the above I though, is the fault not our own? Should we not have spoken up earlier and not allowed a single voice to portray themselves as the originator of VR, should we not have allowed those that helped them receive equal billing, and so no place ourselves in this position that when that one voice falls, we are all tarred?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane

Spitting Image is replaced now with Newzoids... currently on TV:

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
    @kevinw729 trolling is a symptom of a larger problem. Addressing only the symptom will never result in an underlying cure.

Also, there are many ways a person can troll. Direct attacks are an obvious method. But ongoing ridicule in the form of feigned media is another. Which would mean you could end up being censored as well.
This discussion has been closed.