Should've bought Vive. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Should've bought Vive.

Jobe_SmithJobe_Smith Posts: 12
NerveGear
Not for technical reasons. I just don't like supporting Fascist causes, dangerous demagogues, and their moneyed sycophants with my money. When I heard about his activities I hoped that he wasn't associated with Oculus since the Facebook sale. My mistake. When it is time to upgrade it won't be Oculus.

Comments

• StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    I thought this forums was about Virutal Reality...  Who cares about Real Reality?
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,309
    Wintermute
    As soon as you realise that our entire lives are governed by such peeps and that you only have a miniscule say in which dangerous demagogue rules us at any one time, the happier you will be.  :)
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    they will most likely fuck up the touch launch anyway for all us pee-ons while all the "important" people have already had them literallly for months
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,936 Valuable Player
    I'm surprised to not have heard from you on this topic sooner @danknugz. I was expecting a cameo yesterday at the very least when I had at least 3 forumers swinging a bat at my head. Dare I ask where you stand on this issue? I don't mean the political candidate, I mean regarding the news of Palmer's choice on funding.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited September 2016
    Can I start banning people that keep creating these stupid threads already? People need to stop getting butt hurt over a choice someone else made. There are other problems in the world that are a bigger issue than who is voting for who. Its also a vr forum, not a cry station for butt hurt people.
  • RonsonPLRonsonPL Posts: 1,115
    Trinity
    edited September 2016
    I agree.
    Posting in a political thread - OK. Creating one per year - OK.
    But now one guy just created second thread about the same thing.
    And this one here, just registered to create this one. Seems like a political troll of one side, not anyone interested in VR.
    I think this should meet with at least 7-day ban, but that's just my opinion.
    Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore.
    Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash.
    Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.
  • Jobe_SmithJobe_Smith Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited September 2016
    No, i didn't just register to post. I purchased a system after trialing and researching. I spent money and I am usually careful where I spend money because i don't want to fund racists and fascists and I care about REALITY as much as i enjoy escaping it.  In VR nothing can really hurt you no matter what you do. In reality your actions or inaction have consequences. Yes I am angry that a system I purchased and  enjoy provides funding for alt-right scum. So the forum for that system is the perfect place to express my disappointment and my intention not to keep purchasing Oculus products until Luckey steps down. That joined with thousands of other users and developers is power. Power is to be used.
    edited September 2016
    So Lucky is Oculus now? What? When did that happen? Bla the other developers I could care less about. I never heard of over half of them anyways and I never will buy their games either. If they don't sell me their VR - then I never will worry about it because I will never have heard of them. It's a total lose lose for them if they want to play their cards like that.

The fact you even had to say your first 3 lines of text tells me that you don't care. No one ever dos until it's made into a big deal for no reason at all. Who votes for what doesn't mean shit. The fact you are using the voting power game just makes you the same fascists as Trump. Grow up already.
    No, i didn't just register to post.
    Your very first post ever was for political reasons. There is a better way to present this stuff if you're hoping to be taken serious.
    NerveGear
    Well yes, He is the founder. He is a major stockholder. He is the one that took the check from Zuckerberg. All of the other people at Oculus will suffer because of his childish entitlement. Smart businessman realizes that all of his customers may not believe as he does if you want all of the money of all of the people who want your product then you remain publicly  apolitical. No one should be surprised at this reaction considering what Trump and more importantly the Alt-Right represent. If you don't know what that is you should probably take off the goggles and take a break like the applications recommend.
    I think you need to take a break off the weed man. Smart businessman? You do realizes what you are saying, right? You do understand all business are made up of people right? Does that mean you wont shop at your local Walmart, Super Market, etc because someone there like trump xD? Wow your views are soo full of shit understanding behind them it's making my sides hurt LOL
    NerveGear
    Zenbane, I don't care if YOU take me seriously or not. What is taken seriously is a punch in the economic stomach that can be very real when many end users and more importantly developers start a boycott.  Lets watch the effect on FB share price and Microsoft share price. then we will know what serious is.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,776 Valuable Player
    Not for technical reasons. I just don't like supporting Fascist causes, dangerous demagogues, and their moneyed sycophants with my money. When I heard about his activities I hoped that he wasn't associated with Oculus since the Facebook sale. My mistake. When it is time to upgrade it won't be Oculus.

That bastard!  I'll give you 10 bucks for your Rift.  The fact that it's in your house should be making you dizzy with anger.  I'm doing you a favor. 
    NerveGear
    Beware of people with brightly colored hair and heavy makeup!
    edited September 2016
    Beware of people with brightly colored hair and heavy makeup!
    You sexist scum bag! Don't be talking about how people dress now!

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,776 Valuable Player
    No, i didn't just register to post. I purchased a system after trialing and researching. I spent money and I am usually careful where I spend money because i don't want to fund racists and fascists and I care about REALITY as much as i enjoy escaping it.  In VR nothing can really hurt you no matter what you do. In reality your actions or inaction have consequences. Yes I am angry that a system I purchased and  enjoy provides funding for alt-right scum. So the forum for that system is the perfect place to express my disappointment and my intention not to keep purchasing Oculus products until Luckey steps down. That joined with thousands of other users and developers is power. Power is to be used.
    Does this forum have an ignore feature like most decent forums?  Then we wouldn't even know the political posts are being put up here.  It's ok with me that Jobe Smith comes here and voices his opinion but I want the option to ignore because it doesn't matter to me.  But this would still give Jobe Smith the option to get his message to the people that operate the company and anyone who doesn't block or ignore his messages.
    edited September 2016
    True, but more or less I am just toying with him as of now xD but I mean he could have always just sent a private message to Oculus instead of post on a VR forum, but at the same time - it's a silly post that really doesn't reflect everyone - so his voice should also be part with the thoughts of everyone as well if they want to do the same. I mean that's fair right?

If you are going to boycott a company - you don't do it over political reasons of one person that works at a company (that's just shit thinking) you do it because the company as a whole is fucking over its customers. Right now, you can only compare that to the Vive/HTC and they're doing just the as Oculus. No one is getting screw over - everyone just wants to play the I got hurt card because they - well got their feelings hurt. It's silly.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    edited September 2016
    1. This whole scandal is really baffling, considering Luckey identifies as a Libertarian and not a Republican, so I'm thinking he had some serious misconceptions about what this group stood for when he gave them the money.

2. At any rate, Luckey isn't 'King of Oculus Land', he was just the company's founder.  He's not even the CEO at this point.  Also perhaps you've forgotten, but he sold the company to Mark Zuckerberg who is extremely progressive IE, whatever Palmer's political ideals actually are, they don't reflect on the ideals of the Oculus company in any way.   You might as well stop eating at Subway because Jared was a sex offender, or stop staying at your favorite hotel because one of the maids said an off-color comment.

3. You "Should have bought Vive" because of this?  How much of a hypocrite are you?  Valve has knowingly allowed neo-nazis and other hate-groups to organize and operate on steam FOR YEARS without stopping them. They also ignore hate-speech in their discussion boards and game review pages, even when its reported.  Heck, they even sell games with blatant Pro-Nazi themes, and one about Donald Trump fighting terrorists.  A human being at Valve HQ had to look at these games in the approval process and say, "A dating game involving underaged girls dressed as Nazis? Yeah, we fully support this."
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    #noonecares
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    I must say i was surprised at palmers backing choice but im over it already..lol
    f*ck him this is about VR lmao
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,613 Valuable Player
    Erm...so how do you know whether someone at HTC or Valve is doing the same thing with the money earned from your Vive sale or not..? You don't. So what are you going to do..? Not buy anything ever again just in case..? lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited September 2016
    I came across an article that is written very intellectually and professionally,

http://fortune.com/2016/09/24/palmer-lucky-backlash-oculus/

Lucky is 24 years old... and if I were judged based on shit I did in my 20's, especially early 20's, then I should have been gassed on my 29th birthday. Remember that Mark Zuckerberg has openly come out against Trump, and this was before news of Palmer's contributions to the "shitposting" group. I think that he made an undeniable mistake, but it is Zuckerberg's actions against Trump that greatly overshadow Palmer's actions.

Palmer is probably getting some serious pants down spankings by Facebook executives. So lets just move on and get back to VR fun, while we wait for the new round of hilarious memes.

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Can we close this shit, please?
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • TrytipedTrytiped Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    edited September 2016
    Keep your political bs off this forum, I can't believe how anal people have become over choices others have made, this is exactly why this country is becoming less and less free; who needs a dictating government when you can have the people doing the work for you.
    giphy.gif
  • vrmowervrmower Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    You must have known prior to purchasing Rift Oculus was owned by Facebook.  Facebook's Zuckerberg is a fascist who runs his shop like a cult.  His own employees refer to him as "little emperor".  How many times has Facebook been cough using its position to censor and manipulate public opinion on a mass scale?  Even admitting to performing public experiments on it's lab rats. (Facebook users)

I respect you for voting with your wallet but your a little late to the party.
    edited September 2016
    vrmower said:
    You must have known prior to purchasing Rift Oculus was owned by Facebook.  Facebook's Zuckerberg is a fascist who runs his shop like a cult.  His own employees refer to him as "little emperor".  How many times has Facebook been cough using its position to censor and manipulate public opinion on a mass scale?  Even admitting to performing public experiments on it's lab rats. (Facebook users)

Amazon's corporate culture is no different that the (rumored) Facebook culture. I know 2 Facebook employees personally, and neither of them report tyranny. Nonetheless, even if it were true, running a corporation with an iron fist is necessary due to the fact that subordinates - which are nothing more than easily influenced citizens - are terrible at both tactical and strategic planning. Corporations, just like the government, need to make decisions for lower class citizens. You would be a shining example of why that need exists.

Voting with ones wallet doesn't mean much when the wallet owner is daft.
  • RonsonPLRonsonPL Posts: 1,115
    Trinity
    edited September 2016
    vrmower said:

This  ↑

Facebook is not just a bad corporation which is only as bad as others. It raises the bar for disgusting corporate "standards". It's one of the worst. And it takes really serious blindness to not see what is it doing both to people's privacy and in terms of censorship.
    If anyone didn't see manipulation, sick censorship on FB yet, then he/she surely is a follower of the opposite group of interests to the group that gets censored, while full-blown propaganda is not only allowed for the "priviladged" group, but Zuckenberg openly supports it.
    And... this, what FB does, will actually cause bad things in the world in the not so distant future. It's really REALLY ironic that people who don't realize that are now "fighters or good against evil" because Palmer supported a group which was most probably just a remedy for the similar group making memes making jokes from Trump.

Zenbane. Please don't do that again. Don't you ever have same opinion to mine on anything.
    I can't attack you when you do that! I'm lost. I don't know what to do. My brain hurts. That's unfair! ;]
    (about checking the new guy's registration date and thread history) 
    Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore.
    Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash.
    Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 908
    3Jane
    In a few weeks, Trump will be president and this whole discussion will seem silly.
    One of my favorite theories is the fact that Trump could very well be a "secret agent" working for the Democrats and Clinton,
    https://www.google.com/#q=trump+secretly+working+for+the+democratic+party

The general idea is that Trump has made HIllary's victory so damn easy, that he must be a secret agent on their payroll.

This discussion has been closed.