cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications" message in Oculus Home?

BigRobCoder
Explorer
Just got my Rift, using an older overclocked CPU. I know it is not one of the recommended CPUs, but it works just fine with all the apps I've tried so far. Is there any way to disable the "doesn't meet recommended specifications" message in Oculus Home (which is present in VR as well as on the desktop window)? It's very annoying.
195 REPLIES 195

zboson
Superstar
My guess is that Palmer Luckey has had a big influence on this hardware warning and lack of a switch to disable it. He has made multiple arrogant comments about crappy hardware.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Not sure if this is known, but navigate to D (or C or whatever)Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime and simply delete Compatibility.json and restart oculus service. That should remove it both inside and outside the headset without registry tweaks.

Not from me but on shhhhhhh.........reddit 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

zboson
Superstar

Techy111 said:

Not sure if this is known, but navigate to 😧  (or C or whatever)Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime and simply delete Compatibility.json and restart oculus service. That should remove it both inside and outside the headset without registry tweaks.

That worked!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

Not sure if this is known, but navigate to 😧  (or C or whatever)Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime and simply delete Compatibility.json and restart oculus service. That should remove it both inside and outside the headset without registry tweaks.

That's a very neat solution!

I did notice that that file seems to get auto-updated regularly, so it's possible that it reappears after a while. Deleting it again should fix it, but depending on how often it gets updated, that might get annoying.

owencahill
Explorer
Nice one....!  That worked a treat.  Thank you.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Exactly this annoying message is not only irritating it stops you from playing (and buying) any games from the Oculus store. 

It doesn't stop you from doing anything, if you can't play or buy games from Home then you have some other problem beyond a extremely minor annoyance from a little message.

Chillisteak
Protege
New to the Rift last week and I'm just glad I don't use the Oculus app for anything, that message upsets me every single time I have to acknowledge it.
My system is more than capable of running any game I'ver tried in VR at 90fps plus, and I've barely had to drop any visual settings to achieve that. Yet because my CPU isn't on their "required" list it's doesn't meet their specifications.

A toggle is required, because it's stupid that it keeps throwing it in peoples faces.

Noxasa
Explorer
Oculus changed the location of the compatibility.json file to C:\Users\<<username>>\AppData\Local\Oculus.

Also, now Oculus tries to get around you deleting the file by automatically downloading a new one with the Oculus VR Runtime servce starts.  It first downloads a file called CompatibilityNew.json and then renames it to Compatibility.json. 

In order to get around this you will need to either rename the old Compatibility.json file to CompatibilityNew.json or create an empty text file called CompatibilityNew.json and delete the old Compatibility.json file.  Then go to properties for that file and change it's security privileges so that all "Groups and User Names" have "DENY" access.  That way, when the runtime tries to download a new CompatibilityNew.json when it starts, it gets a write error and cannot download the new file, thus, causing it to skip the compatibility testing routines. 

After modifying the security settings for that file just restart the Oculus VR Runtime service and it will no longer show the nag message.

I don't know why Oculus is fighting its user base with this nag message considering all the bugs and flat out wrong data in their hardware compatibility lists.  Get with it Oculus, this is why we don't buy Apple computers, we don't need our hands held and you should allow us to switch to expert mode for those that don't need or want it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My patcher tool also doesn't work anymore. Looks like Oculus are monitoring this thread and actively counteracting any solution that gets presented here. Way to be hostile towards your customers, Oculus.

[edit]
I take that back. They simply moved the various classes in the Oculus Home code into properly named namespaces, which is a programming best practice. The actual code remains the same. I'll create an update for the patcher, if anyone still wants to use it.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
This has

Noxasa said:

Oculus changed the location of the compatibility.json file to C:\Users\<<username>>\AppData\Local\Oculus.

Also, now Oculus tries to get around you deleting the file by automatically downloading a new one

Blah blah blah

After modifying the security settings for that file just restart the
Oculus VR Runtime service and it will no longer show the nag message.

This has definitely gotten to the point it's more trouble than it's worth to get rid of a little message that does no harm beyond wounding the  delicate egos of people who get upset at being told their PC doesn't match a compatibility list. 🙂