cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I use Gear VR while laying down?

TheMarco
Explorer
I'm completely baffled by the fact that the Gear VR cannot be used while laying down. I thought nothing would be nicer than to enjoy VR content, play games, watch Milk VR videos etc. while laying in bed before going to sleep. But alas, it does not work. At best you can watch Netflix in Void theater but that's about the only thing that works when you're not sitting upright.

Whyyyyyy???? Samsung, Oculus, being an engineer I know there's really no technical reason for this to not be possible. I sincerely hope this will be fixed in an update. I'm really disappointed that I can't use my Gear VR in this way, Was this use case deliberately overlooked or is this some kind of huge 'oops!' on Samsung / Oculus' side?
26 REPLIES 26

SD-777
Protege

Yeah I can't watch adult sites sitting up, that is just so weird and wrong call me old fashioned they need to allow usage laying down

You can recalibrate the Samsung internet browser to work well while lying down.  Some other apps have the capability like Netflix, for example.  I agree with you though, it's infuriating to be unable to do a system wide adjustment so I can use my GearVR lying down.  Just last night I was putzing around on mine while in bed and after remembering it wouldn't work that way just shut it off in disgust.

diogofigueiredo
Protege
I believe it has to do with the fact the seeing the horizon in front of you whilst laying down would make most people instantaneously sick, as your inner ear (your vestibular system) feels you should be seeing the sky, but your eyes see the horizon. That discrepancy is vomit inducing.
Owner of a DK2 since October 2014. Anxiously waiting for the delivery of the CV1.

Anonymous
Not applicable
what diadogofigueiredo says could be true for 360 deg. videos. you may get dizzy, But for 2d media like normal movies and photos you just need your eyes pointing naturally to the image at whatever position your head is and it will not harm you. it is a shame we cannot see movies laying down while waiting for sleep to arrive without bothering wife with tv brightness.

obzen
Expert Protege
Well, if it's using a gravity sensor for resolving vertical drift (like in DK1), you're kind of screwed. You can't measure 'up' as clearly when lying down (gimbal lock).

I suppose they could theoretically disable the gravity sensor input, and allow drift with the occasional manual re-calibration, relying purely on the gyroscope. 

DK1 FREAK...

Caldari5
Protege
I too have been puzzled about this, been trying out a few of the 2D Movie/Picture viewing "Theatre" Apps however none of them appear to allow laying down as an option.

If anyone has found one please forward along the info 😛

peteracworth
Honored Guest
In some apps (e.g. milk vr) you can just look in the direction you want and hold your finger on the touchpad. In about 4 seconds the unit will reset.  I haven't tried other apps, but this works for milk vr

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer
I agree that having a default option to orient prone would be nice.  I'm willing to use a swivel chair most of the time, but lying in bed is also very relaxing.

Hawkhell
Honored Guest
Seems like typical Samsung bullcrap. They will make an amazing device and the screw up a minor part that ruins the experience. This should be common sense Google cardboard knew this was a needed feature but Samsung is clueless.

Kersh1
Honored Guest
Cmoar VR Cinema will do it. Just go to the cinema (void is good) play your movie, then look down (back of seat in front in cinema mode) there's three icons, the left one is player, bring that up then lock the screen. It gives you a few seconds to get it how you like.
You can now lay down no problem! 

theKris
Honored Guest
Perhaps this is done out of fear, that, if people get the "standing up" animation while laying down, it might make them sick.
Ive noticed most people have no problems with motion sickness, but a few have it so bad, its worth considering their comfort.

Just a guess, I dont see much good reason in this either