cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest update has Oculus Home restarting constantly, interfering with other apps and eating battery

Joshawa7
Honored Guest
Samsung Galaxy S7 v G930PVPU2APH7

What started it was YouTube app pausing video every 5-10 seconds. Which it will do under certain conditions of other heavy app use. After some investigative work noticed Oculus Home app was constantly dropping off the Battery Usage app list and refreshing. It appears it's closing and restarting.

Even on a charger was losing 1% batt every 30 seconds. Had to finally uninstall the entire app package 

Maybe I'll try again down the line after more updates but maybe not. Huge waste of my time because of shoddy QA.
48 REPLIES 48

Fulhair
Explorer
Seriously Oculus, you really screwed up on this. I'm on the third charge of my device today. Have you hear of quality assurance or software test??? Stop pushing this poor software on people - I didn't ask for the update and have not option to roll back!!!
I don't even have the option to manually fix this as I've tried uninstalling the oculus.room application but like a bad rash, it keeps on triggering the reinstall within the hour. You've basically turned my phone into a useless hot brick.  I'm considering a full factory reset and lost all faith as this is the second time your software has screwed over my phone.   

zunder47
Honored Guest
последние несколько дней, как раз после обновления oculus, батарея телефона совсем не держит заряд. что делать? мы покупаем топовые телефоны за не малые деньги, хотим идти в ногу со временем и пользоваться современными технологиями и за это всё мы получаем такую обидную пощечину. вы меня расстраиваете.

daver999
Explorer
This is crap. Don't you guys even test this stuff before you send it out? Had to buy an app to disable the software because it was eating so much CPU I could not even uninstall. So who is going to pay me back for that? If I had crashed one of my customers systems with that kind of crappy code I would be looking for a new job!

RojCowles
Honored Guest
One kinda workaround if the phone is still running hot and slow is to restart in Safe Mode.

Before I found this forum thread my phone, Galaxy S7, was running way too hot and the battery life was predicted to be 3 hours. Booted in Safe Mode phone cooled off immediately, was way more responsive and battery life was estimated as 41 hours. Might be a workaround to get your phones charged up again so you can uninstall the misbehaving Oculus Apps and still have access to the core phone features.

And yes, after uninstalling Oculus Home/Rooms even in regular mode its running cool/fast again.

daver999
Explorer
Also where was the communication here. As soon as the problem was discovered why was there no communication of it. Instead I have to go out and internet search it. Ever hear of Email. I am registered so you know I have a S7 and a VR.

daver999
Explorer

RojCowles said:

One kinda workaround if the phone is still running hot and slow is to restart in Safe Mode.

Before I found this forum thread my phone, Galaxy S7, was running way too hot and the battery life was predicted to be 3 hours. Booted in Safe Mode phone cooled off immediately, was way more responsive and battery life was estimated as 41 hours. Might be a workaround to get your phones charged up again so you can uninstall the misbehaving Oculus Apps and still have access to the core phone features.

And yes, after uninstalling Oculus Home/Rooms even in regular mode its running cool/fast again.

Phone is just a phone in safe mode. Also as I said phone was running so slow I could not uninstall.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Really sorry about this. We pushed an update last night that should resolve the issues people are having. You can try first launching the Oculus app on your phone and see if the update is available (it should prompt you). If not, you should go into the Android application manager and uninstall Oculus Home first and then Oculus Rooms. After you uninstall, please dock your phone in the headset so it can downloaded the updated version. Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

daver999
Explorer
Yes seems to be fixed now at least for me.

paesan
Expert Protege
Wow, now I know why my S7 edge was super hot and very sluggish yesterday.  For a minute I thought I was having the same issue the Note 7 was having. My battery charge would actually go down while on the quick charge.  Oculus could have definitely been more proactive in getting the message out to the user base about this issue. 
Intel i7 7700k | Asus ROG Strix Z270E | G Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200 | Asus GTX1080-O8G
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 | Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500GB | Swiftech H240 X2 | WD Black 5TB | WD Black 4TB
Toshiba 1TB | Corsair Graphite 760T | Windows 10 64 bit | Rift CV1 + Touch | StarTech 4 port PCI Express USB 3 - 5Gbps

npharrison
Explorer
Mine appears to have been fixed. Heat is good and battery life is super cool again. An email warning of problems would've been logical rather than relying on us to come searching for a solution.