Oculus Connect 3 streamed in VR but... — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Connect 3 streamed in VR but...

VitalogyVitalogy Posts: 36
Brain Burst
From http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-connect-3-schedule-stream-twitch-nextvr-virtual-reality/
For those unable to attend the conference, Carmack confirmed via a tweet today that the conference will be streamed via Twitch and in virtual reality via NextVR, a firm known for streaming sporting and other events in VR through their Gear VR app.

So the conference will be streamed in VR on Gear VR only...? Really?

Stupid me, thinking that the Rift was their flagship product.

Comments

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    If it's on Twitch, maybe it will at least show up in the Oculus Video app?  They've got that whole section for Twitch vids...  (not that I've ever heard of a single one of the channels showcased there)

Worst case, you could meet up with some friends in Bigscreen and watch the Twitch feed together there.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 566
    Trinity
    Don't you all think it's kind of weird that you can only watch the VR version on NextVR app (which doesn't have support for Rift).

It almost feel like they want to exclude their Rift customers.
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • FUNmvallanceFUNmvallance Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Just posted something similar.
    I want RIFT to succeed as it is great for me in Education, but if they are not bothering supporting their own tech for their own conference ... what does that say?

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Oculus should support their own products, I think.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    everytime i have an issue and i contact support, I get no answers..nothing!!
    trust me Oculus have a good product but they have no clue. it is almost like they have never run a business b4?
    nAV2016 said:
    trust me Oculus have a good product but they have no clue. it is almost like they have never run a business b4?
    VR will fail! :smile:
  • nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    RorschachPhoenix
    I do not think it will, its to massive to flop and it can be seen that its already a success, it actually works
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    We all know the rift doesn't exist until Touch comes out. GearVR FTW!
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    nAV2016 said:
    VR will fail! :smile:
    you will fail in VR ^^
  • xxdanglenutzxxxxdanglenutzxx Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    well thats some bullsh*t.. I was hoping to watch it today..I guess youtube might have it, but thats lame as hell if they are screwing over the rift customers when samsung vr was free if you bought a new phone lol
  • KevinakiKevinaki Posts: 222
    Nexus 6
    I have the GearVR but the only time I think about touching that is on the toilet. I guess that's a fitting environment since most videos are crap on there.
    Nexus 6
    It would be nice to know what events were being streamed and what time. I'm very satisfied with my Rift but it seems like no planning went into this and there's seems to be a huge lack of communication.
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    Give 'em a break, at least this is their first time they've 'forgotten' to communicate with the consumer base, oh wait....
  • xxdanglenutzxxxxdanglenutzxx Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    i went ahead and messaged them on Twitter..seems they are responding there
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,291 Volunteer Moderator
    The people you should be complaining to are NextVR. They are doing the VR streaming, they own the hardware and they wrote the software that's GearVR only.

I'm not saying it's not annoying, it should be easy to get something that's already working on GearVR to work on the rift, easier than going the other way. Their website says "The NextVR experience currently requires a Samsung Gear VR headset and a Samsung mobile phone. As the list of hardware options grows, NextVR will expand our offering to support those too."  Umm, the list of hardware options is already way past just GearVR!
    Nexus 6
    I wish they would stream on Youtube instead of Twitch so I can watch it at work.
    nAV2016 said:
    RorschachPhoenix
    I do not think it will, its to massive to flop and it can be seen that its already a success, it actually works
    No, VR will fail. It is inevitable. In 100 years no one will be interested in VR anymore.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,251 Valuable Player
    nAV2016 said:
    RorschachPhoenix
    No, VR will fail. It is inevitable. In 100 years no one will be interested in VR anymore.
    That's because the world will be a mess and stuff like fallout 4 might be a reality. No need for VR when your living like that I guess.
    lovethis said:
    nAV2016 said:
    RorschachPhoenix
    That's because the world will be a mess and stuff like fallout 4 might be a reality. No need for VR when your living like that I guess.
    Who can tell what the world will look like 100 years from now?
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 566
    Trinity
    kojack said:
    The people you should be complaining to are NextVR. They are doing the VR streaming, they own the hardware and they wrote the software that's GearVR only.

I'm not saying it's not annoying, it should be easy to get something that's already working on GearVR to work on the rift, easier than going the other way. Their website says "The NextVR experience currently requires a Samsung Gear VR headset and a Samsung mobile phone. As the list of hardware options grows, NextVR will expand our offering to support those too."  Umm, the list of hardware options is already way past just GearVR!
    you would think in one of those meetings between OCulus/FB and NextVR... "Hey what about our Rift Cusomters?  Shouldn't they be included to watch this event?"  Or they are BOTH too busy watching the strippers during this meeting?
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
    mbze430 said:
    kojack said:

you would think in one of those meetings between OCulus/FB and NextVR... "Hey what about our Rift Cusomters?  Shouldn't they be included to watch this event?"  Or they are BOTH too busy watching the strippers during this meeting?
    VR strippers?
    Nexus 6
    I guess nothing of note came out of OC3 day 1?
  • NamelessPFGNamelessPFG Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have a Gear VR and a Note 4, so no worries on my end, but it is truly baffling that NextVR STILL doesn't have a corresponding Rift app.

You'd think it'd be a lot easier for them to process streaming VR of that quality on the kind of powerhouse PC you need to meet the Rift system requirements anyway, but I guess they're just lazy with getting the app out the door.

Anyway, it seems like the real announcements are to be made over the next two days, otherwise the usual tech sites would be on fire over any new announcements.
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    Don't know if this is already posted.

https://www.facebook.com/oculusvr/videos/885614284873420/

DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane
    Me - I can tell the future !
    That's why I already know when you read this you didn't believe me.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    Atmos73 said:
    Ugh, I hope they'll post these videos somewhere other than Facebook. I can't watch them without a huge "Sign Up or Log In" banner blocking half the screen. I don't have a Facebook account, and I'm not signing up just to watch a few videos from OC3.

Maybe the new Facebook Social VR app that they're revealing today will be cool enough to convince me to join.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Warbloke said:
    Me - I can tell the future !
    That's why I already know when you read this you didn't believe me.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    But why not make OC a big event in the forums? It IS a big event! I want to see a countdown, because that would make me a bit more excited! I want a thread with a link to the livestream BEFORE it happens! I want a thread with transcriptions of all the things that happened so far! I want to feel that this is something special!
    Oculus Connect is mainly a developer conference, it's not about VR announcements or anything like that, so for most people, it's only a big event if they are VR app/game developers. During the keynote speech, a few things get announced, but that's not really the point of the conference.

But if you want it to be a big event in the forums, then make it so! Don't wait for someone else to become as excited as you, create a thread for it, with a countdown, where you can post the link to the livestream when you find out what it is, etc. Make it a big deal, where people will discuss it. You have the power!
    But why not make OC a big event in the forums? It IS a big event! I want to see a countdown, because that would make me a bit more excited! I want a thread with a link to the livestream BEFORE it happens! I want a thread with transcriptions of all the things that happened so far! I want to feel that this is something special!
    Oculus Connect is mainly a developer conference, it's not about VR announcements or anything like that, so for most people, it's only a big event if they are VR app/game developers. During the keynote speech, a few things get announced, but that's not really the point of the conference.

But if you want it to be a big event in the forums, then make it so! Don't wait for someone else to become as excited as you, create a thread for it, with a countdown, where you can post the link to the livestream when you find out what it is, etc. Make it a big deal, where people will discuss it. You have the power!
    That is what I wanted to do in 5 minutes. :smile: