cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Connect 3 streamed in VR but...

Vitalogy
Protege
From http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-connect-3-schedule-stream-twitch-nextvr-virtual-reality/
For those unable to attend the conference, Carmack confirmed via a tweet today that the conference will be streamed via Twitch and in virtual reality via NextVR, a firm known for streaming sporting and other events in VR through their Gear VR app.

So the conference will be streamed in VR on Gear VR only...? Really?

Stupid me, thinking that the Rift was their flagship product.

28 REPLIES 28

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

mbze430 said:

kojack said:

The people you should be complaining to are NextVR. They are doing the VR streaming, they own the hardware and they wrote the software that's GearVR only.

I'm not saying it's not annoying, it should be easy to get something that's already working on GearVR to work on the rift, easier than going the other way. Their website says "The NextVR experience currently requires a Samsung Gear VR headset and a
Samsung mobile phone. As the list of hardware options grows, NextVR
will expand our offering to support those too."
  Umm, the list of hardware options is already way past just GearVR!

you would think in one of those meetings between OCulus/FB and NextVR... "Hey what about our Rift Cusomters?  Shouldn't they be included to watch this event?"  Or they are BOTH too busy watching the strippers during this meeting?

VR strippers?
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
@cybereality: For many of us this is a big event. And I think, many of us have the feeling that we are not even a single part of it in any way. We are sitting here with our Rifts. I understand it now. GearVR gets the apps. We don't even get the app to watch OC3 in VR. Sad. But I can live with that. Palmer does not talk to us, he talks to reddit (well, he did in the past. Now he's silent). I can live with that.

But why not make OC a big event in the forums? It IS a big event! I want to see a countdown, because that would make me a bit more excited! I want a thread with a link to the livestream BEFORE it happens! I want a thread with transcriptions of all the things that happened so far! I want to feel that this is something special!
Or do I have to feel nothing? Should I dig through the internet the day after, searching for some pieces of information? THIS is the community! Sometimes I feel like the forums are some sort of boxroom in Oculus' eyes.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
I guess nothing of note came out of OC3 day 1?

NamelessPFG
Expert Protege
I have a Gear VR and a Note 4, so no worries on my end, but it is truly baffling that NextVR STILL doesn't have a corresponding Rift app.

You'd think it'd be a lot easier for them to process streaming VR of that quality on the kind of powerhouse PC you need to meet the Rift system requirements anyway, but I guess they're just lazy with getting the app out the door.

Anyway, it seems like the real announcements are to be made over the next two days, otherwise the usual tech sites would be on fire over any new announcements.

Warbloke
Superstar

Who can tell what the world will look like 100 years from now?

Me - I can tell the future !
That's why I already know when you read this you didn't believe me.
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Ugh, I hope they'll post these videos somewhere other than Facebook. I can't watch them without a huge "Sign Up or Log In" banner blocking half the screen. I don't have a Facebook account, and I'm not signing up just to watch a few videos from OC3.

Maybe the new Facebook Social VR app that they're revealing today will be cool enough to convince me to join.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Warbloke said:

Who can tell what the world will look like 100 years from now?

Me - I can tell the future !
That's why I already know when you read this you didn't believe me.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

But why not make OC a big event in the forums? It IS a big event! I want to see a countdown, because that would make me a bit more excited! I want a thread with a link to the livestream BEFORE it happens! I want a thread with transcriptions of all the things that happened so far! I want to feel that this is something special!

Oculus Connect is mainly a developer conference, it's not about VR announcements or anything like that, so for most people, it's only a big event if they are VR app/game developers. During the keynote speech, a few things get announced, but that's not really the point of the conference.

But if you want it to be a big event in the forums, then make it so! Don't wait for someone else to become as excited as you, create a thread for it, with a countdown, where you can post the link to the livestream when you find out what it is, etc. Make it a big deal, where people will discuss it. You have the power!

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Oculus Connect is mainly a developer conference, it's not about VR announcements or anything like that, so for most people, it's only a big event if they are VR app/game developers. During the keynote speech, a few things get announced, but that's not really the point of the conference.

But if you want it to be a big event in the forums, then make it so! Don't wait for someone else to become as excited as you, create a thread for it, with a countdown, where you can post the link to the livestream when you find out what it is, etc. Make it a big deal, where people will discuss it. You have the power!

That is what I wanted to do in 5 minutes. :smile: