cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen still after 2 days but with white sensor light

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
Hello. Ive been at it about 2 days tring to get this Rift to work and im about to return it to amazon and turn my back on this VR world until there is a plug and play system. FOr someone who is reasonable with computers it shouldnt take such effort to work it should it?

Or am i missing a big something.

Don fresh installs of windows 7 SP1. ALl latest updates, latest drivers for gtx 970, tried display port to hdmi which does nothing but put the light orange in the HMD and when im in the HDMI port on the 970 the light is white. Never had an image in the rift only audio. Read and read about all these similar problems and nothing helps me. Im totally pissed.

Tried doing it in steam VR and in all registeres well and good and im looking on my monitor the image moving around as i move my head but no image in the rift. Same for iracing, Load it up on the screen in like it all works but dont have image in HMD. Its doing my head in.

System is
i7 3770k
Gigabyte z77-ds3h
16gb ram
gtx 970 g1 gaming
650 psu

Not to mention i can even download anything on the Oculus desktop. it downloads a bit and then fails. Yes dont have anti virus software and tried with and without firewall. Iracing loads up fine and i move the rift and the video moves on my screen but just black inside the HMD.

Its 3am now and ive been at it straight since 9pm. Going to bed now as i have had enough. If i cant do it tmrw ill be returning it and Ill be so pissed off if i dont get a refund. Bought with amazon uk.
19 REPLIES 19

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Don't give up yet mate 😞 have you thought about upgrading to win 10 ? Is your HDMI plugged directly into the GPU and also your monitor, all on the one card ?

Tony
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

falken76
Expert Consultant
I couldn't even get it to install on my windows 7 OS.  When I put Windows 10 on it worked right away.  I like Windows 7 I didn't want to upgrade because all my software worked and I didn't have any driver issues.  I don't mind windows 10  it's actually pretty good.  I just hate the driver problems when a new OS comes out.  If you don't want to completely abandon Windows 7, just dual boot.

But if you don't want to mess with that, Amazon is pretty good about returns as long as it hasn't been a long time.

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
Thanks. And I really don't want to give up but how much more money I'm i going to throw at it. Windows 10 is another almost £100. What if that doesn't work etc...

I have tried every alternative to the inputs for HMD and monitor.

NOTE: I would like to point out here something I didn't mention before but don't think it to be a problem. I can not get a signal out of my motherboard VGA or HDMI to any tv or monitor.

All monitors and HMD are from my single GPU gtx 970 with all drivers up to date.

Windows 10 is not something I consider a problem. It's paying for it in the hope that it makes it work and if it doesn't it's something that's not needed. If it works I'll be happy but no if it's the problem.

NOTE: could it be a bad internet connection ??? I'm Ethernet connected but it's not the fastest.

I have had orange light, white/blue light, heat from HMD sensor and everything working.

In the setup I have never been asked to put the rift on. It went from the trying to setup up Xbox controller with wifi adaptor to not being able and so I skipped this setup part and it went straight to Oculus desktop where all the games and content can be bought.

assettomio
Adventurer
Are you saying that you have the rift plugged into the onboard hdmi? Or what do you mean? Because onboard hdmi will not work if you are running from a normal gpu

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
null
I'm using HDMI from gtx 970. hDMI on motherboard doesn't even give me signal to a TV/Monitor.

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
What is on board anyway? What do you mean ?

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
What's a normal GPU? What's a strange one for that matter?
I'm confused even more

assettomio
Adventurer
Ahh k, onboard means the motherboard hdmi.. Not getting a signal from that is normal, it's not supposed to, only when you are not using a gpu like you are now..
Do you have the rift and the sensor both plugged into usb 3.0? Internet connection or ethernet cable shouldn't have anything to do with it, so you can rule that out.
I did however myself get an update inside the aniversary update of windows 10 that broke many drivers, also my rift driver which left me with a black screen like yours. But this was on windows 10, rolling back to a previous build fixed it, but I don't know if that same or a similar update was ever released to windows 7..

assettomio
Adventurer
Do you happen to know anyone with a pc that is using windows 10 and is still on the 1511 build?