cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen still after 2 days but with white sensor light

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
Hello. Ive been at it about 2 days tring to get this Rift to work and im about to return it to amazon and turn my back on this VR world until there is a plug and play system. FOr someone who is reasonable with computers it shouldnt take such effort to work it should it?

Or am i missing a big something.

Don fresh installs of windows 7 SP1. ALl latest updates, latest drivers for gtx 970, tried display port to hdmi which does nothing but put the light orange in the HMD and when im in the HDMI port on the 970 the light is white. Never had an image in the rift only audio. Read and read about all these similar problems and nothing helps me. Im totally pissed.

Tried doing it in steam VR and in all registeres well and good and im looking on my monitor the image moving around as i move my head but no image in the rift. Same for iracing, Load it up on the screen in like it all works but dont have image in HMD. Its doing my head in.

System is
i7 3770k
Gigabyte z77-ds3h
16gb ram
gtx 970 g1 gaming
650 psu

Not to mention i can even download anything on the Oculus desktop. it downloads a bit and then fails. Yes dont have anti virus software and tried with and without firewall. Iracing loads up fine and i move the rift and the video moves on my screen but just black inside the HMD.

Its 3am now and ive been at it straight since 9pm. Going to bed now as i have had enough. If i cant do it tmrw ill be returning it and Ill be so pissed off if i dont get a refund. Bought with amazon uk.
19 REPLIES 19

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
Ok thanks for clarifying.
I thought about other PC and I don't know anyone with a PC remotely capable of the rift. I have 2 USB 3.0 in the back of the motherboard and two header ones. Sensor plugged into the header and rift into the back.

They are communicating because if I'm in iracing and I move the rift the monitor shows what's happening in the rift. Imaging moves as if I would be in the rift. Just no image inside the rift.

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
Everything work like it should I guess. Tracking, movement, image on monitor. Etc etc.

Minus image in the rift.

assettomio
Adventurer
Hm that sounds like the exact symptoms I had..

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
null
So you fixed it ?
What did you do ? 😛

assettomio
Adventurer
Yea, well first I tried to remove all the updates install with the aniversary updates manually, but there was 1 that could not be uninstalled.. Which was probably the culprit, but I dont remember the name unfortunatly, it was a kb....... update though.
But I just went to settings and rolled everything back to the previous 1511 build, and then disabled the windows update service completely, untill hopefully microsoft fixes their shit

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
So far 3 people have fixed their black screens with this adapter, hope it helps. It's cheap and easy to return if it doesn't, may want to try it before upgrading windows. (to be fair you'll likely still need to upgrade in the not so distant future.)

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B00K0UDJFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
Well I have just bought display port to hdmi as someone said it would work. Doesn't work. So buying another adapter really should not be needed.

Oculus sells the product without saying adapters are needed and providing a test to see if your computer is ready. And mine is ready apart from a lower cpu but an i7 3770k will run it.

The simple fact that I have spent already hours on trying to get it to work and spending extra already for then to be told upgrade to windows 10 when Oculus says it's not needed (extra £100) after the £560 rift. Next someone will say upgrade to a 1080 or something. It's really very bad and to have so many people having soany problems this cv1 really is not ready to be a consumer version because consumers want to buy a package without having to pay for extra to make it all work. Especially when the company does not mention extra stuff to be bought.

So I sent mine back after not getting it working once. That really is not consumer grade in my opinion.
No one buys a new car and has to pay extra for parts or pop the bonnet and fiddle around to get it working do they?
And yes I know it's new technology but it is not ready to be sold as consumer grade.

That's my take on it. And happy are the people who have gotten it working. Good for them. But it's not ready and I'm not ready to buy an unfinished product at such a high price.

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
Not to mention the Xbox controller did not work wired or wireless. Neither did the adapter for it. And this is after every update available to me for win7 SP1.
Not to mention I could not even download a single game from the store.

If anyone is reading this thinking about the cv1. We'll be prepared to spend more money than what it costs you to buy the cv1. And be prepared for loss of your own hair.

mikeyinstant
Honored Guest
However you might just be lucky and plug it in and be able to Rift it up easy. I don't know. Maybe VR just is not for me and The Lord Jesus Christ sent his messanget to protect me.

:#

JUANSE_099
Honored Guest
I think im a couple years late, but just got to test my cousin´s Rift, and I have the same problem, everything goes well in the configuration app until you have to "contiunue in the headset" which just turns on showing a black screen a couple seconds and then goes off again, it just doesnt work at all, have to mention I also have a gigabyte GTX 970, which is recomended by oculus to run VR (but maybe not gigabyte´s? bc my cousin uses a founders edition 970 no problem), however when i go and try my laptop which has a 1060 works without any issue, dont know how on earth is a desktop 970 not capable of running it but a laptop can, i think it has something to do with it being a gigabyte card or something.
Have you fixed your issue or just sent back the VR?