cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlayStation VR is Outselling the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (CraveOnline)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Some interesting remarks here as well as the PSVR being sold out and won't be restocked on Amazon until November now. Hopefully this is good news for VR in general. 

Quote:

"Though Sony hasn’t released official sales for the new virtual reality headset, the company’s president and chief executive Jim Ryan spoke to CNBC regarding its launch, saying that they would be forced to “ramp up production” as early figures indicate the PSVR will sell “many hundreds of thousands” of units at launch."

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1141799-playstation-vr-outselling-oculus-rift-htc-vive

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
62 REPLIES 62

bigmike20vt
Visionary

The FOV on PSVR is actually about 10 degrees smaller then the Rift - not trying to knock it but you can cross that off the list of things it does 'better'.

hi

this is interesting.. how do they pull it off because i have read numbers reviews stating psvr fov is bigger than rifts and vives.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
As mentioned in another thread I believe this is due to being able to move the lenses closer to the eyes and the elliptical shape lenses.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
People who are saying this is only because people can't afford more powerful setups...that's only a part. I have a *very* hardcore gamer friend (and game developer) who has an Oculus Rift with a top of the line PC. His Facebook post last night:

"Long time oculus user here, but I have to say Playstation VR is top notch. Of all the VR systems right now seems the most polished and consumer ready.

Well done Sony."

Having said that, I think the title of this thread is a bit over-reaching - there's no evidence that PSVR is outselling the Rift and Vive yet, of course a Sony exec is going to say "We are going to sell many hundreds of thousands of our brand new product" to the media. I mean, did you expect a Sony exec to say they are only going to sell a few? And since we don't know Rift sales numbers at all, we don't know how many hundreds of thousands would be needed to outsell it.

mbze430
Rising Star
I agree this is great for VR as a whole.  The question becomes how exclusive are the apps/software/games are on the PSVR.  
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

HiThere_
Superstar
PSVR had to ramp up it's production ? Welcome to the club : So did CV1 and HTC Vive...

PSVR sales number hasn't been released ? Welcome to the club : Neither have the CV1's and HTC Vive's...

But I guess it's ok to say PSVR sales is outselling (outsold ? ) the CV1 and HTC Vive three times over (or is selling four times less then the Gear VR), because it's not like anyone can come contradict a bunch of numbers that as it turns out nobody is providing 🙂

Hanover
Rising Star
I received my PSVR today.  Yes, you have a lot less "goggle vision" than the Rift, especially if you wear glasses. 

The games ARE fun.  Thumper is very addicting and trance inducing...so is Rez.  There were a few parts in Rez where I let out an involuntary "whoa!!"

London Heist, which is part of the PSVR Worlds disc is amazing...the scene where you're inside the car in the middle of a gunfight is perfect.  The scale is spot on and you definitely lose yourself in the game as you lean out the window shooting the bad guys.  

BattleZone is a very hard game, but has a lot of depth.  The tanks have a lot of ways you can customize them.   There is a random campaign mode and the large campaigns can take days to complete.

I still have yet to finish all the activities on the Worlds disc and still need to try the Batman game.  

Of course PSVR is not a Rift.  No integrated audio, the black levels...well, there is no 100% black.  I compared the Rift version of Allumette with the PSVR version and well, I will always choose the Rift version if there is a choice.   Night scenes just aren't as striking on the PSVR.  

The bottom line is, that PSVR is fun.  It has some fun games, and is a perfect companion to the Rift.  Many PC gamers often owned a Nintendo system since it always had unique games that weren't available on PC.  I think of PSVR in the same way.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm just hoping that not too many of these things are returned due to tracking issues. It's essential to VR for PSVR to be a success. Although I strongly suspect that Microsoft have an HMD up their sleeves for the Xbox Scorpio being released next year

Anonymous
Not applicable
You know - I don't really think they do snowdog

AQfumes
Adventurer

snowdog said:

I'm just hoping that not too many of these things are returned due to tracking issues. It's essential to VR for PSVR to be a success. Although I strongly suspect that Microsoft have an HMD up their sleeves for the Xbox Scorpio being released next year

I thought, I read Xbox was going to offer support for the Rift to be attached in the future.

HiThere_
Superstar

Hanover said:

I received my PSVR today.  Yes, you have a lot less "goggle vision" than the Rift, especially if you wear glasses.
The CV1's support for glasses is like worse then a 99$ Gear VR, so it doesn't come as a surprise that Sony can do better...

But two front facing cameras (that can't even be separated into opposite corners) means that PSVR will only be getting front facing games, which is only half the fun, so there's simply nothing PSVR can throw at me to make me give up on CV1's 360° tracking...

Not to mention that with the Move controller's (high) latency and (lack of) accuracy the PSVR games will be granting you a headshot when you manage to land a hit on a foot : In comparison I'm expecting Touch to be able to tell the difference between a shot in the left eye and a shot in the right eye 🙂