New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PlayStation VR is Outselling the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (CraveOnline)

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,132 Valuable Player
edited October 2016 in General
Some interesting remarks here as well as the PSVR being sold out and won't be restocked on Amazon until November now. Hopefully this is good news for VR in general. 

Quote:

"Though Sony hasn’t released official sales for the new virtual reality headset, the company’s president and chief executive Jim Ryan spoke to CNBC regarding its launch, saying that they would be forced to “ramp up production” as early figures indicate the PSVR will sell “many hundreds of thousands” of units at launch."

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1141799-playstation-vr-outselling-oculus-rift-htc-vive

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,204 Valuable Player
    aye if PSVR didnt outsell PC VR then it would essentially mean PSVR flopped and if that flops then it would be a blow for VR as a whole.

My only worry is for how much PSVR exclusive stuff there will be. Timed exclusive.. ok, Sony produced exclusives, well, to be expected, sony have rarely ever let their IP go over to PC, but i just hope we do not see them lock down 3rd party games to fully exclusive VR stuff on their multiformat titles.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • purpleshadezpurpleshadez Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    mainly cos the PC requirements more taxing on the wallet than a PS4 and VR kit, 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,132 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    I intend to get a PS4 Pro to hopefully boost the PSVR capabilities so the cost of those together is £700 when you factor in the camera and move controllers it's getting close to the cost of a low end PC and Rift combo.

That said, with the standard PS4 it runs very well indeed.

• Hodders67Hodders67 Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    problem going with the ps4 pro if you already have the ps4 is with the psvr you will not get any better visuals will you?
    Well yes you will but this is dependant on the developers to include PS4 Pro options. Also I assume as with the Rift and Vive, PS4 Pro will allow for super-sampling to increase sharpness.

• Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute

Good to hear, its a much lower entry point for many as they already own a PS4, the install base of PS4s will be bigger compared to PC's already up to VR.

I will say the initial rush maybe over shot if the ebay scalpers are all over it.

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player
    Is everything included with the PSVR - motion controllers, camera etc?

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    @andyring

No they aren't because a lot of playstation users already had the camera and motion controllers so they didn't want to make them buy it again. However you can just buy a bundle if you don't have it already :)
    Ah yes, good point FrozenPea.  Just been to have a look - not sure if people have put prices up but you're looking at around £500 for the lot on Amazon.  Not cheap with the PS4 but cheaper than PC VR.
  • FunmotionFunmotion Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Well blow me down, too bad they will poison the VR well with the crap
    Funmotion said:
    Well blow me down, too bad they will poison the VR well with the crap
    I think you're right.  Lots of people seeing that VR is now quite cheap, like the Cardboard and then telling all their friends they have tried "the VR" and it's not all it's cracked up to be.
    edited October 2016
    Funmotion what I've tried so far is actually pretty decent and certainly comparable (game wise) with what Rift and Vive are currently offering albeit with a lesser quality in screen sharpness. However, they have the support of the big names and already the Resident Evil 7 Kitchen demo for example looks better produced than most concepts available on Vive and Rift.  If anything, it's the lack of full big budget games for both of the "superior" headsets that is not helping VR from a gamers perspective.

PSVR at least provides a demo disc where you can try out 15 of the launch games before you buy them. That right there is a massive positive out of the gate compared to the Vive and Rift who didn't offer anything of the sort. PSVR has a better FOV than either of those and less SDE. The optics are much better with a large sweet spot and no god rays (only negative is the mura effect but both the rift and vive have those too). It's also more comfy.  Too many positives to write it off as "poisoning the VR well" in my view having now spent several hours playing with it at home rather than basing an opinion on store demos or speculation.

So let's recap after 100s of hours in Vive and Rift this year. PSVR does these things better.

Easier to put on and off
    More comfortable
    Massive Sweet spot (better optics)
    Easier to calibrate
    No Godrays
    Perceived Wider FOV
    Demo Disc included with 15 games
    Well produced software
    Cheap to buy

Vive/Rift -

Better motion controls/Tracking
    Roomscale
    Sharper visuals

• Gwiz84Gwiz84 Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    The only thing that proves is that most ppl can't afford a powerful pc and therefore buys a console with its related products.
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    Apparently you can use the Playstation HMD in 2D mode on the PC
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/10/playstation-vr-works-with-other-game-systems-kind-of/

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,879 Valuable Player
    Gwiz84 said:
    The only thing that proves is that most ppl can't afford a powerful pc and therefore buys a console with its related products.
    Not really - most consoles cost more than a starting PC and is limited to what it can do while a PC (maybe $200 more exp comparing) can do more in the long term. Maybe 5 years ago I would agree- but that's because consoles didn't require much technology to give a big boost to everything - but that gab between gpu and processing is shrinking faster and faster to the point where it's about the same cost now. More or less - it'll be about branding now (Well I have a ps4) then anything else anymore. 
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    We already know the Rift and Vive have both sold hundreds of thousands of units, so PSVR heading for "many" hundreds of thousands may not represent a big difference. It would have been bigger news if they were talking about reaching 7 figures.
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    The FOV on PSVR is actually about 10 degrees smaller then the Rift - not trying to knock it but you can cross that off the list of things it does 'better'.
    Edited to say it's the perceived FOV not actual.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,204 Valuable Player
    The FOV on PSVR is actually about 10 degrees smaller then the Rift - not trying to knock it but you can cross that off the list of things it does 'better'.
    hi

this is interesting.. how do they pull it off because i have read numbers reviews stating psvr fov is bigger than rifts and vives.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    As mentioned in another thread I believe this is due to being able to move the lenses closer to the eyes and the elliptical shape lenses.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited October 2016
    People who are saying this is only because people can't afford more powerful setups...that's only a part. I have a *very* hardcore gamer friend (and game developer) who has an Oculus Rift with a top of the line PC. His Facebook post last night:

"Long time oculus user here, but I have to say Playstation VR is top notch. Of all the VR systems right now seems the most polished and consumer ready.

Well done Sony."

Having said that, I think the title of this thread is a bit over-reaching - there's no evidence that PSVR is outselling the Rift and Vive yet, of course a Sony exec is going to say "We are going to sell many hundreds of thousands of our brand new product" to the media. I mean, did you expect a Sony exec to say they are only going to sell a few? And since we don't know Rift sales numbers at all, we don't know how many hundreds of thousands would be needed to outsell it.

• mbze430mbze430 Posts: 567
    Trinity
    I agree this is great for VR as a whole.  The question becomes how exclusive are the apps/software/games are on the PSVR.  
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,278
    3Jane
    PSVR had to ramp up it's production ? Welcome to the club : So did CV1 and HTC Vive...

PSVR sales number hasn't been released ? Welcome to the club : Neither have the CV1's and HTC Vive's...

But I guess it's ok to say PSVR sales is outselling (outsold ? ) the CV1 and HTC Vive three times over (or is selling four times less then the Gear VR), because it's not like anyone can come contradict a bunch of numbers that as it turns out nobody is providing :)
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    I received my PSVR today.  Yes, you have a lot less "goggle vision" than the Rift, especially if you wear glasses. 

The games ARE fun.  Thumper is very addicting and trance inducing...so is Rez.  There were a few parts in Rez where I let out an involuntary "whoa!!"

London Heist, which is part of the PSVR Worlds disc is amazing...the scene where you're inside the car in the middle of a gunfight is perfect.  The scale is spot on and you definitely lose yourself in the game as you lean out the window shooting the bad guys.  

BattleZone is a very hard game, but has a lot of depth.  The tanks have a lot of ways you can customize them.   There is a random campaign mode and the large campaigns can take days to complete.

I still have yet to finish all the activities on the Worlds disc and still need to try the Batman game.  

Of course PSVR is not a Rift.  No integrated audio, the black levels...well, there is no 100% black.  I compared the Rift version of Allumette with the PSVR version and well, I will always choose the Rift version if there is a choice.   Night scenes just aren't as striking on the PSVR.  

The bottom line is, that PSVR is fun.  It has some fun games, and is a perfect companion to the Rift.  Many PC gamers often owned a Nintendo system since it always had unique games that weren't available on PC.  I think of PSVR in the same way.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,656 Valuable Player
    I'm just hoping that not too many of these things are returned due to tracking issues. It's essential to VR for PSVR to be a success. Although I strongly suspect that Microsoft have an HMD up their sleeves for the Xbox Scorpio being released next year
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    You know - I don't really think they do snowdog
  • AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    I'm just hoping that not too many of these things are returned due to tracking issues. It's essential to VR for PSVR to be a success. Although I strongly suspect that Microsoft have an HMD up their sleeves for the Xbox Scorpio being released next year
    I thought, I read Xbox was going to offer support for the Rift to be attached in the future.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,278
    3Jane
    edited October 2016
    Hanover said:
    I received my PSVR today.  Yes, you have a lot less "goggle vision" than the Rift, especially if you wear glasses.
    The CV1's support for glasses is like worse then a 99$ Gear VR, so it doesn't come as a surprise that Sony can do better...

But two front facing cameras (that can't even be separated into opposite corners) means that PSVR will only be getting front facing games, which is only half the fun, so there's simply nothing PSVR can throw at me to make me give up on CV1's 360° tracking...

Not to mention that with the Move controller's (high) latency and (lack of) accuracy the PSVR games will be granting you a headshot when you manage to land a hit on a foot : In comparison I'm expecting Touch to be able to tell the difference between a shot in the left eye and a shot in the right eye :)
    edited October 2016

I think for most users - it wont be a big problem - but it wont make it to any gaming league any time soon from how off it can be at times. Still looks like fun as hell tho:)