cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use Touch with a single camera

Dima
Explorer
Hi,

Is it possible to use Touch with a single camera? When I try to use them (btw, what app or game would you recommend to test them with?) with SteamVR and apps that support Touch (Big screen, for example) the controllers lose tracking and fly away each half a second or so.
Dmitry Kurilchenko [VR Jam 2015] Wendy
28 REPLIES 28

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So you have touch controller already? You will need at least 2 sensors because you will lose tracking if you use just one.

Dima
Explorer

lovethis said:

So you have touch controller already? You will need at least 2 sensors because you will lose tracking if you use just one.

Yes, not a consumer version, though. I know that it would be much less convenient to use Toch with a single camera even if it works but I have only one at the moment.

Dima
Explorer

lovethis said:

You will need at least 2 sensors because you will lose tracking if you use just one.

I missed that it absolutely requires having 2 cameras. Have you seen that written in some docs or was it communicated by someone from Oculus?

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
With just one camera on your desk, it's easy to move your hand outside of the tracking area - the camera sensors weren't really designed to track objects that can be moved an arm's length away from the center from nearby. You will probably have a better experience if you move your sensor camera further away (and recalibrate the sensor), so you are in a larger part of its viewing cone.

Hanover
Rising Star

Dima said:

lovethis said:

You will need at least 2 sensors because you will lose tracking if you use just one.

I missed that it absolutely requires having 2 cameras. Have you seen that written in some docs or was it communicated by someone from Oculus?

Touch comes with a second camera.  That's the whole point, so you'll have the required number of cameras to use touch.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Dima said:

lovethis said:

If you are facing the sensor then it will track the touch controllers. But as soon as you turn 180 degrees you are no longer facing the camera and will lose tracking due to the controllers been masked. You need 2 sensors so that the controllers can be constantly tracked. There is even talk of 3 sensors been the best setup.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Dima said:

Hi,

Is it possible to use Touch with a single camera? When I try to use them (btw, what app or game would you recommend to test them with?) with SteamVR and apps that support Touch (Big screen, for example) the controllers lose tracking and fly away each half a second or so.

It's supposed to be a minimum of 2 cameras.  The one that came with your rift, and there's one that comes with touch.  A 3rd camera will be available later on.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Dima said:

lovethis said:

Take a look at what is packed in with the Touch controllers, it comes with an additional camera.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
In similar news, 4-wheel vehicles can't be driven properly with less than 4 wheels.