cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the 2d display on the monitor be disabled to force the gfx card to boost the fps on the rift?

battleaxe39
Protege
Hi all, is it possible to disable the 2d rendering on the monitor when in the rift? I only ask because your gfx card must render it so its taking power from the rift, just wondered if anyone knew if you could, I have not come across an option to disable yet and was hoping for a simple answer:) thanks in advance!
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

falken76
Expert Consultant
It would make no difference. you wouldn't even see a change in performance.  There was a time when 3d and 2d were on separate cards.  At one point one was needed in order to use the other.  Over the years they've been combined, but there are different chips powering 2d and 3d portions of the card.  It should have no effect if you could turn off the 2d side.

View solution in original post

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
The picture displayed on the monitor is not being actually rendered. Think of it as a recording.It doesnt take a lot of horsepower to mirror the Rifts display.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Hi all, is it possible to disable the 2d rendering on the monitor when in the rift? I only ask because your gfx card must render it so its taking power from the rift, just wondered if anyone knew if you could, I have not come across an option to disable yet and was hoping for a simple answer:) thanks in advance!

Yes, it does render it.  Because it's usually a copy of the view from one of the eyes on the rift.  So there is usually effectively no impact.

Some programs still allow you to change the resolution, which usually effects the monitor view only.  So, no harm dropping that down as much as you can, but the few times I've played with it I noticed no performance improvement.

4 REPLIES 4

falken76
Expert Consultant
It would make no difference. you wouldn't even see a change in performance.  There was a time when 3d and 2d were on separate cards.  At one point one was needed in order to use the other.  Over the years they've been combined, but there are different chips powering 2d and 3d portions of the card.  It should have no effect if you could turn off the 2d side.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
The picture displayed on the monitor is not being actually rendered. Think of it as a recording.It doesnt take a lot of horsepower to mirror the Rifts display.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Yes, it does render it.  Because it's usually a copy of the view from one of the eyes on the rift.  So there is usually effectively no impact.

Some programs still allow you to change the resolution, which usually effects the monitor view only.  So, no harm dropping that down as much as you can, but the few times I've played with it I noticed no performance improvement.

battleaxe39
Protege
OK thanks all I thought for low end users it might boost the fps:)