cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE - Tested room scale with Touch and two sensors

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer
I was finally successful in finding a set of cable extension for my Rift, so I set up my living room for a full room scale VR experience using two sensors, to test out the tracking of the HMD and the Touch controllers.
I placed my sensors about 2 meters apart (6.5 ft) and since Oculus "Guardian" system is not available yet, I set up Steam VR Chaperone instead.
I've got some initial trouble in setting up Steam VR, at first the Touch controller was behaving strangely, but the second time I was successful.

I've played Valve's The Lab for about an hour, and it was mostly fine, but I noticed that when facing completely opposite to the sensors, AS EXPECTED the Touch controllers tracking was quite poor, my body was often occluding the sensors and I find myself to raise my hands in order for the sensor to pick up the tracking again (see picture below).

The Headset had no problems, perfect tracking in every direction, even far away from the sensor. I could sit on my couch on the opposite side with no problems at all.

On a side note, I've got quite few problems while playing The Lab. Sensors got disconnected a couple of times, The Headset got disconnected once, and I've got a couple of crashes. 😐 Please note I have enabled ASW in my registry, I don't know if this might be the cause, since I had no problem whatsoever while playing games from Oculus Home. It might have been a coincidence though, I need to do more testing.

Btw, sitting in the virtual couch in BigScreen while sitting on my real couch was a really cool experience! 😄

tl:dr: Tested room scale with Touch and two sensors. If facing in the opposite direction of the sensors, Touch have poor tracking. No problems with the headset.
80 REPLIES 80

Anonymous
Not applicable
LMAO wow angry people over a test - Wilde - don't get upset them with - just provide the information in the first post as needed. It should stop most of the weird posters coming in here. 

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer

Offended? No. I'm wondering why you bothered with the test and this post! Like... " If facing in the opposite direction of the sensors, Touch have poor tracking. "....ya, and a bear poops in the woods too.

Uh... Because I wanted to see FOR MYSELF how good/bad the tracking was in a non-ideal setup. Sometimes the reality of facts is different from expectations, but it wasn't in this case.
People do these tests all the time, do you want me to kill myself?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mr.Wilde said:

Offended? No. I'm wondering why you bothered with the test and this post! Like... " If facing in the opposite direction of the sensors, Touch have poor tracking. "....ya, and a bear poops in the woods too.

Uh... Because I wanted to see FOR MYSELF how good/bad the tracking was in a non-ideal setup. People do these tests all the time, do you want me to kill myself?

Just ignore it and keep up with the good work!!! I like to see what else you come up with!!! This is pretty neat to get a first impression test 🙂 Plus I like the images - they're pretty good in knowing how it will work out.

More or less they're just reacting to the information because that's what we already know - so just ignore some of the common "faceplams" for now:) In your first post just say - "It's as we thought, but for testing reasons and this cool diagram I just wanted to test it for myself to see how it'll look, enjoy the results even if they're silly to some! :D"

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer
Jesus christ, posting on forums is like throwing a baby seal in a pool full of sharks... 😐

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer

Mradr said:

Just ignore it and keep up with the good work!!! I like to see what else you come up with!!! This is pretty neat to get a first impression test 🙂 Plus I like the images - they're pretty good in knowing how it will work out.

Thanks, next I will try the setup that @TwoHedWlf has suggested and I will post the result. 🙂

Flausn
Expert Protege
do it just doooo it 😉

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mr.Wilde said:

Uh... Because I wanted to see FOR MYSELF how good/bad the tracking was in a non-ideal setup. Sometimes the reality of facts is different from expectations, but it wasn't in this case.
People do these tests all the time, do you want me to kill myself?

Except that your test was set up to fail a 360 degree test from the beginning, and you presented it specifically stating that people "need the 3rd sensor for successful 360 room-scale."

Everything you said was misleading, and a gross misrepresentation of facts. People aren't upset as though you insulted their mothers or bashed a baby seal... people are upset because you treated idiocy like a disease and purposely intended to infect others.

To put it bluntly.

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer
Zenbane, I bet you are super fun at parties.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
That's the rumor. Especially once the whiskey and vodka start flowing lol 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I the only one who is afraid for that TV? I could see myself punching that.

As you mentioned, it was expected that roomscale wouldn't operate correctly with 2 cameras. Where exactly do you have the cameras placed? Do you have them on the ceiling, high up on the wall or just on a dresser of some sort?

Also do you plan to test the cameras in opposite corners? I would be interested to hear about the tracking volume and any tracking issues. They say 2 cameras is good enough for 360 tracking and tracking volume of a single camera is good, so I would imagine it would be good enough for a majority of play spaces.