cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use Touch with a single camera

Dima
Explorer
Hi,

Is it possible to use Touch with a single camera? When I try to use them (btw, what app or game would you recommend to test them with?) with SteamVR and apps that support Touch (Big screen, for example) the controllers lose tracking and fly away each half a second or so.
Dmitry Kurilchenko [VR Jam 2015] Wendy
28 REPLIES 28

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

With just one camera on your desk, it's easy to move your hand outside of the tracking area 

I don't know what you've done wrong but I have something like 12 feetx 12 feet with one sensor. Huge tracking area. If your hand would be outside tracking area you've done something wrong. One sensor will track both controllers in a front facing position just fine. The reason for two sensors is for occlusion angles. 

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

With just one camera on your desk, it's easy to move your hand outside of the tracking area 

I don't know what you've done wrong but I have something like 12 feetx 12 feet with one sensor. Huge tracking area. If your hand would be outside tracking area you've done something wrong. One sensor will track both controllers in a front facing position just fine. The reason for two sensors is for occlusion angles. 

That's impossible. If you are sitting at your desk with a camera on that desk, it won't have a 12 foot viewing area, and will be very easy for you to move your hands out of its view. The camera view is conical - the further you are away from it, the larger its view. Thus my recommendation that the OP move their camera further away.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

That's impossible. If you are sitting at your desk with a camera on that desk, it won't have a 12 foot viewing area, and will be very easy for you to move your hands out of its view. The camera view is conical - the further you are away from it, the larger its view. Thus my recommendation that the OP move their camera further away.

It's not impossible, And no I don't have my camera " on my desk" I have it at eye level on the wall with a mount. it's a fact. Maybe it's more like 9 or 10 feet but you get the point.  Check out Deskscene: https://www.wearvr.com/apps/desk-scene-check-your-camera-bounds

What are you even talking about? Do you mean if you put your hands behind you? Of course it cant see your hands. My camera tracks my arms width easily. 

You make it sound like you can't move, or your hand is lost if you extend your arm.  Again, the reason for more sensors is for angles that will occlude the controllers. 
If you mean your hand behind you, then you're arguing the obvious and I have no idea why you're arguing with me. I quoted you because your wording is very poor.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

Daddoofly78 said:
It's not impossible, And no I don't have my camera " on my desk" I have it at eye level on the wall with a mount. it's a fact.

Huh? That was my exact point. If you had it on your desk and you were sitting at your desk then it would have been impossible for you to hold your arms out to the sides and have both Touches be tracked. Thus my recommendation to the OP that if that is what he did, then he should move the camera sensor further back.

I don't see how what I said was worded poorly, it states clearly that with just one camera on your desk (as Oculus tells people to do in the current non-Touch setup), it's easy to move your hand outside of the tracking area. The OP is having tracking problems with just one camera, so I was giving advice on what may be the problem.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
I didn't realize the key to what you were saying was "on your desk" hehe.

Ya...having the sensor on a speaker stand or on a camera mount, on the wall is better. Five feet to seven feet or so up is best. On your desk is complete poop. I learned that pretty quick.

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer

I didn't realize the key to what you were saying was "on your desk" hehe.

Ya...having the sensor on a speaker stand or on a camera mount, on the wall is better. Five feet to seven feet or so up is best. On your desk is complete poop. I learned that pretty quick.

Oculus only supports the sensor at a distance of 3ft from the HMD.  At 9 - 10 feet, you're going to have some pretty significant tracking wobble.

Adding additional sensors increases this range, but Oculus isn't ready to talk about specifics for that yet.  Support has suggested to watch the blog, as they will be making announcements about this soon.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

goldenegg said:

Oculus only supports the sensor at a distance of 3ft from the HMD. 

You got your facts mixed up. They recommend you set it up  3-4 feet away. As opposed to closer than that. We all know when wobble happens.Not really relevant here.  Putting your sensor higher up    vastly increases tracking space. I'm sorry but you're kind of arguing common knowledge. Anyone serious about their set up has their sensor/s not on their desk, but on a book shelf,  the wall or even ceiling upside down.

Can you think before you post? 3 feet? Ya...right lol That's some serious room scale thar.

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
You try contacting support with an tracking issue and tell them you have your sensor at 9ft.  They won't support you until you bring it to the supported 3ft distance.

Note that the official instructions state "Place the sensor on your desk, 3 ft. (1 meter) in front of where you will be wearing the headset".  It doesn't say "at least 3ft" or "a minimum of 3ft".  It specifically says to place the sensor 3ft in front of you.

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/562824827213445

Here's a quote from support for a case I had, where my sensor was at 4 ft.
The sensor is best placed 3 feet away from you, not 4. When it's placed further away, the signal isn't as strong, and it won't be able to track you as well as it should.
They would not investigate the issue with the sensor at 4ft away.  Moving it to 3ft resolved the issue.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
I never said I have it at 9 feet. Wow this guy haha. You REALLY think everyone is  playing 3 feet away from their sensor? haha. That's how far mine is, if I stand right at my desk, which is the correct set up. This gives me some 6 feet space behind me free of wobble/before wobble happens.

You seem to be interpreting this as you set it up 3 feet from you, then....don't move. 
It says to set it up 3-4 feet from you AS OPPOSED TO CLOSER THAN THAT. You don't set it up at 1-2 feet.

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer

Daddoofly78 said:

And no I don't have my camera " on my desk" I have it at eye level on the wall with a mount. it's a fact. Maybe it's more like 9 or 10 feet but you get the point.  

Calm down.  This is the quote I read.  Reading it again I see that it can be read to also refer to your tracking range.