cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use Touch with a single camera

Dima
Explorer
Hi,

Is it possible to use Touch with a single camera? When I try to use them (btw, what app or game would you recommend to test them with?) with SteamVR and apps that support Touch (Big screen, for example) the controllers lose tracking and fly away each half a second or so.
Dmitry Kurilchenko [VR Jam 2015] Wendy
28 REPLIES 28

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

When I said 9-10 feet I meant total tracking distance. Obviously. Really didn't think anyone could possibly misinterpret that any other way. 

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer

It's like talking to a two year old. What, now it's clear for ya?

@cybereality is this honestly what you accept around this forum as a way for people to talk to each other?  

I'm done with this forum until it's properly moderated.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Dude, you argued facts with me and had the audacity to maintain we're supposed to set it up no more than 3 feet away from the HMD. You're hilarious. Stop : /

kojack
MVP
MVP
The camera is 100 degrees by 70 degrees.
At 5 feet from the camera the frustum would be roughly 12 feet by 7 feet.

My camera is sitting on my desk on top of my tower case (which is sideways behind my monitors). It's about 4.3 feet from my head when sitting at the desk. That gives me an area of 10.24 x 6 feet.

(urgh, it feels bad doing trig in feet)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

my feet are 1.8 metres away

kojack
MVP
MVP

my feet are 1.8 metres away

From the camera or the hmd? 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

good thing we're not using sticks, shaftments, rods or poles to measure... way too many smutty joke opportunities

daSmirnov
Explorer

Dima said:

Hi,

Is it possible to use Touch with a single camera? When I try to use them (btw, what app or game would you recommend to test them with?) with SteamVR and apps that support Touch (Big screen, for example) the controllers lose tracking and fly away each half a second or so.

You can definitely use the developer touch controllers with a single camera.  Obviously if you block visibility with the camera you do lose tracking and you might need to re-arrange yourself in places.  But I went through and played pretty much all the Vive games on Steam with them.

When I get the final ones on the 6th of December, I will be using that second camera, probably behind me.

XlordB
Adventurer
Ive seen a vid of a guy with one sensor placed atop of ladders in a room at the corner getting full roomscale tracking the only area he lost tracking was practically underneath the sensor... the sensors are able to track quite a distance away. If you get the angle perfect.. same idea as the vives up high about 45deg you get a really good roomscale experience.. couple this with one more sensor and you wouldnt likely need a 3rd sensor for full roomscale.. please bear in mind this all depends on the size of your room if you live in a shoebox then two sensors or one will not be effective roomscale due to you being to close to either sensor.. So if you live in a house with a decent sized roomspace then imo two sensors should do the job more than enough provided you have them at opposite room corners up high facing 45 deg. all area within the middle of the roomspace will be tracked fine. Id also like to point out that although roomscale is great tech and all that it really isnt all that necessary mainly because the movement options within games etc give you more than enough fun you dont have to run around your room like a nutcase. Majority of content can be played by moving literally 4 feet each direction. So until we have true roomscale which is a wireless headset that keeps a charge for 24 hours without having to recharge i dont get what people are arguing about.. the third sensor option is OPTIONAL!!! and its optional for the reason i just stated depending on your houseroom size.