cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE - Tested room scale with Touch and two sensors

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer
I was finally successful in finding a set of cable extension for my Rift, so I set up my living room for a full room scale VR experience using two sensors, to test out the tracking of the HMD and the Touch controllers.
I placed my sensors about 2 meters apart (6.5 ft) and since Oculus "Guardian" system is not available yet, I set up Steam VR Chaperone instead.
I've got some initial trouble in setting up Steam VR, at first the Touch controller was behaving strangely, but the second time I was successful.

I've played Valve's The Lab for about an hour, and it was mostly fine, but I noticed that when facing completely opposite to the sensors, AS EXPECTED the Touch controllers tracking was quite poor, my body was often occluding the sensors and I find myself to raise my hands in order for the sensor to pick up the tracking again (see picture below).

The Headset had no problems, perfect tracking in every direction, even far away from the sensor. I could sit on my couch on the opposite side with no problems at all.

On a side note, I've got quite few problems while playing The Lab. Sensors got disconnected a couple of times, The Headset got disconnected once, and I've got a couple of crashes. 😐 Please note I have enabled ASW in my registry, I don't know if this might be the cause, since I had no problem whatsoever while playing games from Oculus Home. It might have been a coincidence though, I need to do more testing.

Btw, sitting in the virtual couch in BigScreen while sitting on my real couch was a really cool experience! 😄

tl:dr: Tested room scale with Touch and two sensors. If facing in the opposite direction of the sensors, Touch have poor tracking. No problems with the headset.
80 REPLIES 80

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer
Folks should be more concerned about the mentioned disconnections, instead of flaming OP for not having used an opposed sensor setup...

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer

Folks should be more concerned about the mentioned disconnections, instead of flaming OP for not having used an opposed sensor setup...

Yes I'm still having issues with that. I'm not sure what is causing it, Windows 10 keeps updating, Oculus home also updated to 1.9, and yesterday I had a firmware update for my Touch.
I've got this one time when both sensor gave me an error and even unplug and re-plug them didn't help. I had to restart my computer. Same happened with the HMD. Also occasionally one sensor is not recognized, and other times the HMD is seen connected to USB 2.0. I have no idea on what's happening, every time it's something different. 😕

FourT2
Expert Protege
Thank you for both tests. I think I should be able to setup the cameras in my home office similar to the way you showed in the second test. Glad to hear it works well. Can't wait for my Touch controllers! 

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
Were the disconnects only in SteamVR ? Wondering if it might be SteamVR issues with the Rift rather than an issue with the Rift itself.

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer

Tadin said:

Were the disconnects only in SteamVR ? Wondering if it might be SteamVR issues with the Rift rather than an issue with the Rift itself.

So far yes, only when using Steam VR, but it might have been a coincidence, I need to do more testing.

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer
Have you tried mounting the cameras on the wall or ceiling? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew3mNuuYSiE
I think that should give you the best results.

phoenixdigital
Heroic Explorer

Syndroid said:

Have you tried mounting the cameras on the wall or ceiling?

Can confirm the roof setup extends the range (of one camera) a lot and still works great for seated. While I currently only have one camera I printed a set of the ceiling mounts just this weekend in preparation for Touch.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1632488

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port

kojack
MVP
MVP
Have you gone into your advanced power options settings in windows and made sure the "usb selective suspend" is disabled? I had frequent tracking drops until I disabled that. (There's a whole thread on here somewhere talking about it)

Great work.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer

Syndroid said:

Have you tried mounting the cameras on the wall or ceiling? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew3mNuuYSiE
I think that should give you the best results.

I don't see what difference will it make. I have both my sensors mounted on a tripod that extends up to 155 cm (61 inches). The height is not really important, in my opinion.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer

kojack said:

Have you gone into your advanced power options settings in windows and made sure the "usb selective suspend" is disabled? I had frequent tracking drops until I disabled that. (There's a whole thread on here somewhere talking about it)

Great work.

I never knew about that.  Thanks!