cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today I Sold My Vive Here's Why

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
It's perhaps music to some people's ears no doubt and possibly some of you might wonder why the song and dance. Well... you might not be surprised by my reasons and others who care to read might paid heed in case they feel the need.  More importantly it could be a warning once Touch releases because the same thing might happen there too.  Anyway. I've been pretty much a hardcore supporter of the Vive hardware and still am since owning it from the day it released. It uses great technology and certainly is what I envisioned VR to be as a massive upgrade from the DK2 I owned and Gear VRs.  It has been well used in my living room space where I tend to spend less time due to dwelling more in the bedroom (I live in a one bedroom flat with the missus).  The bedroom is home to my desk, PC, consoles and other bits and bobs. A hole in the wall allowed the Vive to be connected to the living room without having to move my desk and PC. 

Of late, well the last two or so months I've not really felt the need to play the Vive so much having rinsed out the excellent Raw Data, AudioShield, Holopoint and several more cool games that make good use of Roomscale. So the Vive has taken a back seat in favour of me being more comfortable and playing seated experiences with the Rift which I'd attribute to a lack of enticing games to keep me coming back and generally coming from playing 2D seated games. I love roomscale and definitely feel it can put you into the game far more than just sitting on a chair, but to honest I've spent way more time enjoying the likes of Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Fallout 4 in psuedo VR using Vorp X or Tridef - spending many hours at a time being immersed in those games versus spending half hour or so getting sweaty playing roomscale full-on experiences. Being frank, the Rift has been more comfortable for this type of playing for hours on end despite the narrower fov.

The problem with the Vive aside from its clunky design is the fact that the software that I expect from VR isn't there to drive it once you've rinsed out the few must play games. There's lots of indie games available but most don't do it for me and even the ones that show promise aren't finished or are on par with what I expect from video games. Sadly Valve's lack of investment in the Vive and a killer app from them such as Half Life VR or L4Dead VR has muted my enthusiasm and now that Touch is on the horizon I feel there no need to own two VR devices performing essentially the same function. I also have a PSVR which as far as I can tell is kicking it with its software right now and looking forwards into 2017.  It might have been a different story had there been numerous exclusive Vive games to keep me in the fold but even Raw Data and Onward  (arguably two of Vive's best games) are coming to the Rift.  Outside of gaming, the Rift offers the same experiences you can get with the Vive and more so once Touch launches for those  interactive roomscale adult VR game moments, movie viewing and general VR experiences.

So you might ask, why keep the Rift and sell the Vive and not the other way around? Well, Oculus has shown more of a commitment to providing software whereas the Vive has been more experimental in my view. However, the same relegating thoughts could be levelled at the Rift also once the Touch honeymoon period is over and the software dries up (which may or may not happen, one can only speculate).  The long and short of it is I will be happy to buy a Vive all over again if and when there's more development with it software wise, but until then it's simply not worth holding on to which is why today I sold it for paltry £450 to my local CEX. I feel confident I got £300 worth of entertainment from it since buying it though.

TL:DR perhaps stating the obvious here but if there isn't enough enticing software for your VR product of choice then there's really no point in holding onto it as it depreciates in value every passing moment.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
210 REPLIES 210

maxpare79
Trustee

jayhawk said:

Most motion control games aren't technically roomscale. They can be played standing in one spot or with very little movement.

That basically is roomscale.  Movement in roomscale is not feasible.  So while people associate "true" roomscale with movement, real roomscale simply does not use it.  There are a few exceptions where the virtual space precisely matches the physical space in which case you can feasibly have movement, but even then you have to contend with the cable.

Sorry.  Roomscale is not about movement.  Rather it is about standing up, using VR controllers, and having enough room to gesture.  Roomscale is a huge misnomer that preys on people's fantasies and unrealistic expectations for VR.

Agreed with you there, the only time I have truly used roomscale was in Fantastic Contraptions...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

JED44
Rising Star
@JakemanOculus 

Alot of people, particularly here, use the term room scale to refer to a number of things depending on what they are trying to argue. Alot of the people that used it to bash the vive were referring to games where it was necessary to move around in your actual room and generally speaking confined you to no more than that. (which was a minority of the actual games offered and people wanted to treat it as if that was all you could do)

People using it to downplay the rift held it up as synonymous with motion controllers and something the rift couldn't do (which was about as flawed) 

The whole "room scale" differentiation was fueled by people arguing systems based on the largest distinction they had at the time.

Once touch is out I still think the whole "Room scale" differentiation will largely cease to be, considering you are going to have to use some amount of space, at a minimum arms length in all directions, to use motion controllers at all, which means you have already blurred the "room scale" line. 

Saying something is room scale would be the difference of taking 0-1 step while playing or taking several, which really isn't a feasible distinction to classify VR by, as almost all games allow you to walk or not walk as you like,  within tracking and cable limitations

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer

falken76
Expert Consultant

Zenbane said:

@Atmos73 Wilsons Heart is one example of a Touch title that has depth. But I do not expect you to acknowledge that nor any other facts. Also, your examples are based on really bad video game analysis, whereas the Oculus Medium application goes far beyond gaming. Your viewpoint and bias are too limited in scope.

After seeing what Mr Wilde was making, I can not wait for Oculus Medium to come out.  I really don't know if I'd use it over traditional tools like 3dsmax or solidworks, but being able to move the model between programs and just trying a new way to model has got me excited.  These are the apps that interest me the most for VR, I just hope it doesn't cost $600....

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oculus Medium is amazing. You can 3D print stuff! It is literally creating depth lol

Zandil
Rising Star
Well....how much for ?

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer

Atmos73 said:

VR and Room-scale isn't the gimmick - Teleportation is.  

Teleportation is not gimmicky because it's built in to the reality of the virtual world.  I have teleport ability.  Cool.

The alternative to teleportation is physically walking distances with the assistance of chaperone and perhaps reorientation hacks.  You are basically arguing that this video is less gimmicky than teleportation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW6nlLV88Zk

Good luck with that.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer

Atmos73 said:

Play Onward end of story.

Yeah.  That's what roomscale is.  I said that before.  You stand in one place and use controllers and gestures like this guy playing Onward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whHM4e4RO7w

Is this related to your claim about teleportation?

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer

Atmos73 said:

Onward proves Teleportation is not needed.

No.  You said teleportation is gimmicky.  Now you say it's not needed.  Those are two different claims.

How is teleportation gimmicky?

maxpare79
Trustee
Agree with @Atmos73 there, teleportation is not needed, give us freedom of movement with the pad or the joystick like Onward.... People will get use to it, teleportation sucks on so many levels... I can pretty much do anything in VR now, motion sickness is a thing of the past for me...Just had to work through it.

Teleportation breaks immersion and is just an easy way out.

At least if devs are scared of people with motion sickness just always put both options in your games...

But multiplayer titles should not ever have teleportation, Onward would suck if you could just teleport away while getting shot at...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner