cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forbes writer says vr expensive gimic

inovator
Consultant
I dont know where these idiots come from. I once read a review about a movie that was SyFy. The critic gave it a horrible review and the reasons given for why the movie was so bad made me want to see the movie and that movie was fantastic and overall got great reviews. That critic was obviously a Sci-Fi hater and should not have been reviewing that genere.
The forbes writer said vr was an expensive gimic and not a very good gimic (a stab in the heart) because many of the games could be enjoyed on a regular Tv. He personally said he got a headache after 20 or 30 minutes not nauseous. He gave some of the other usual criticism that we all have heard in the past.
I think one of the major points missed buy these VR haters is not whether or not you can enjoy a game or any experience on TV but actually being inside of the game. There are people that play 2d video games who get headaches as well, so this guy is saying because it's bad for him it's bad for everybody. If vr was totally flawless this guy wouldnt like it. Hes intitled to his opinion but does everyone a disservice reviewing vr when he is a vr hater.
63 REPLIES 63

nosys70
Expert Protege
if you look at what VR is bringing for the lambda citizen, it is like 3D. Nothing.
A bit of wow and that's all.
Does it cook your pasta faster, does it make your gazoline cheaper, does it make you job more fun , Does it allow something new ?

No. for instance it just grab a lot of  money and time from you.

Unless you can embed it in your real life (that is why smartphones succeeded) , it is just another gimmick.

inovator
Consultant
Nosy picker your an example of a vr hater. Why are u bothering with this forum

nosys70
Expert Protege
and with this remark  you appear as a fanboy, but i admit at least you got your place on that forum
it is absolutely astonishing to see there is no place between fanboys and haters.
Is it a church here ?

inovator
Consultant
Do you own a vr headset u actively use?

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer
TwoHedWlf said:
Cyril said:
Mobile phones started out as an expensive gimmick that you'd lug around in it's dedicated suitcase.
And the end result is they took good phones and good computers and combined them to make a crap phone and a crap computer.
You see a crap computer, I see an emergent set of design challenges ripe with innovation.

CrashFu
Consultant
@nosys70 - I didn't think smart-phones were necessary until after I got one for myself.

And after getting my Rift, I don't have much interest in down-grading back to using a flat, tiny traditional monitor for gaming or media-watching.  Not that non-VR games even interest me that much any more.

VR isn't a gimmick (Not for the Oculus Rift, at least. :wink: ).  The Oculus Rift and Oculus Platform were designed to be the new medium of experiencing and interacting with games, media and utilities, and in the near future, the preferred medium for online social interaction as well.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

nosys70
Expert Protege
smartphones are not necessary, and mostly they are useless.
Probably 90% of the activity you get with your smartphone is making phone call and receiving message.
all the rest (social networking, games, silly utility, watching cat's video on youtube, taking selfies) is probably as much improductive as VR.
The big thing with the smartphone is it connects you to internet almost anywhere, anytime and link useless feature with others you cannot live without.
The difference is you get the smartphone with you, almost all the time, you can download tons of apps for free
and everyday, there is something new you can do with the smartphone (payment for exemple will hugely increase smartphone penetration)
So much of the free time you get (on the toilet seat for example) can be filled by some activity with a smartphone.
most of these activities are not new (reading news, gaming, chatting), you were already doing it before, you just do it now another way, faster, easier.

VR (unless you see it as another apps running on smartphone) does not has any of these caracteristic.

it is harldly mobile (too bulky)
it does not allow/replace anything usefull in real life
it cuts you from the world , not connecting to it.

There si a long way to go before VR can find any place in the society.
For instance it is just an nice game add-on, and sony well understood that.

inovator
Consultant
Vr already has a place. That is enjoying games and experiences in a way rhat is second to none. Sony has already sold 100s of thousands of headsets. Industry experts say they will probably. Sell 1.3 million by years end.

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer

nosys70 said:

Probably 90% of the activity you get with your smartphone is making phone call and receiving message.

That's you, not me...

Smart phone capabilities have expanded far past making phone calls and texting.  Not only do I use my smart phone to explore virtual reality, I wouldn't be able to conduct business the way I do on a day-to-day basis without it.

Social media is also far from "improductive"; it's almost expected that a serious business have a social media front these days: I use it to update business hours, specials, as a customer-facing communication channel, and to promote word-of-mouth advertising.

On a personal level, social media is useful to the extent that it allows one to have more contact with distant relatives; I "feel" that I have a much larger social presence than I would otherwise.  Facebook's "Check In" feature recently came in handy as a way to let others know I was safe after Hurricane Matthew.  The "Live" feature is also very fascinating, as it allows one to view the world through another's smartphone (at their behest, obviously) at any given time.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nosys70 said:

lol - you still engage in phone conversations? Out of curiosity, how old are you?

My smart phone is used way more than anything you described. Especially in regards to work. I use it as a hotspot so that I can VPN in to my workplace from anywhere, and I do this often since I move around a lot as a software developer. I also use Google Authenticator for two-factor authentication. Based on your post, you must still rely on standard PIN/Password for authentication, both easily compromised in this age.

All you did was describe how you use smart phones, which in my opinion shows that you would be happy with an old flip phone.