New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hands on with MSI VR One - Backpack PC for VR

Mr.WildeMr.Wilde Posts: 186
Art3mis
edited October 2016 in General
Today I had the privilege to try a prototype of the MSI VR One, the backpack PC that makes untethered VR possible. The PC weights around 3.5kg (about 7.7 pounds), but it feels quite light once it's on your back. The technical specs are a CPU Intel Core i7-6820HK @ 3.6GHz, SSD Hard Drive and nVidia GTX 1070 GPU. It's extremely quiet, and from the vents blows a mild warm air, unnoticeable when wearing it. It runs on two removable batteries. The batteries lasts for 1.5 hours of gameplay, and they can be fully recharged in 2.5 hours. It's possible to run the PC on one battery, but the performance drop drastically.
Currently the price is around $3.800, but keep in mind this is not a device aimed for home usage. It's mainly targeted for amusement parks, VR Arcades, and public demonstrations such as house and cars sales.
Here some picture of me trying the device with a HTC Vive.

Tagged:

Comments

• Mr.WildeMr.Wilde Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    I just realized that this device will only work with the HTC Vive, since the Rift NEEDS to have the sensors plugged in the PC, while the VIve's sensors only need the power outlet.
  • ConanConan Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    Now add some tracking sencers to the backpack and you have everything from the waist up tracked in game
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 320
    Trinity
    Mr.Wilde said:
    I just realized that this device will only work with the HTC Vive, since the Rift NEEDS to have the sensors plugged in the PC, while the VIve's sensors only need the power outlet.
    This is the one thing that makes me wish I had a Vive instead of a Rift. I prefer everything else about the Rift so I'm not going to switch. If CV2 has inside-out tracking I'm gonna be Rifting with a backpack on.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,247 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    The new Oculus prototype which is standalone is really interesting, if you took it to a large area like a field (with some reference objects added for tracking, cardboard boxes for example which could be easy to transport flat) you could just walk, run anywhere you want without the need for teleportation and only the occasional need to reset the world when you got to the far edges of the big space.  (just posted this elsewhere but thought maybe more relevant here)
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    Oh, I forgot to mention probably one of the most interesting features: the batteries can be hot-swapped on the fly, without the need to shut down the computer or even quit the running application (one at the time of course, removing both batteries at the same time will be like unplugging the power cord of a desktop while running, something you really don't want to do)
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    This is super cool!  :#

Although as you mentioned I can't see this going much past the "VR Arcades" market really apart from the select few rich enough to own it. I wouldn't say the cable is annoying enough to spend $4k for 1.5 hours of gameplay at a time. Hopefully wireless will be solved by gen 2 :)

P.s. I'm really jealous of whatever job you have, getting to try all this stuff out and getting touch early! :O
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    I'm a bit surprised this is so expensive. In any case backpack VR is very interesting to me. I am implementing a safety trainer mostly for the oil industry. Backpack VR would be a much more affordable substitute to cave VR. I use a laptop anyway for my Rift.
  • brantlewbrantlew Posts: 540 Oculus Staff
    Mr.Wilde said:
    Oh, I forgot to mention probably one of the most interesting features: the batteries can be hot-swapped on the fly, without the need to shut down the computer or even quit the running application (one at the time of course, removing both batteries at the same time will be like unplugging the power cord of a desktop while running, something you really don't want to do)
    That does sound like a very cool feature.
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    zboson said:
    I'm a bit surprised this is so expensive.
    Well, if you think about it, it's an high end laptop with custom design and hot-swappable batteries, strapped to your back. The laptop alone would probably cost a lot. ;)
    Art3mis
    FrozenPea said:
    P.s. I'm really jealous of whatever job you have, getting to try all this stuff out and getting touch early! :O
    Maybe one day I will reveal it, who knows. :p
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    FrozenPea said:
    This is super cool!  :#

Although as you mentioned I can't see this going much past the "VR Arcades" market really apart from the select few rich enough to own it. I wouldn't say the cable is annoying enough to spend $4k for 1.5 hours of gameplay at a time. Hopefully wireless will be solved by gen 2 :)

I agree it's very cool, but don't see it being a home device (yet).  
    We have https://www.zerolatencyvr.com/ 10 min drive from me that uses backpack laptops and Mocap tracking,  really need to get off my arse and book in to try it. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,782 Valuable Player
    If I ever wear something like that... it's because I can fly in real life, not in VR.

Looks cool tho.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Looks cool tho.
    Indeed. But personally I prefer the black and red version they have on the website.

• AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    Not bad. Can they be used as a desktop too, if they are hooked up to a monitor/TV? 
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    AQfumes said:
    Not bad. Can they be used as a desktop too, if they are hooked up to a monitor/TV? 
    Well yes, it has an HDMI output, but it kinda defeats the purpose.
    But now that I think of it, the initial setup must be done on a screen, it's not very practical to do it in VR. :p
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,564 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    Protocol7 said:
    Mr.Wilde said:
    This is the one thing that makes me wish I had a Vive instead of a Rift. I prefer everything else about the Rift so I'm not going to switch. If CV2 has inside-out tracking I'm gonna be Rifting with a backpack on.
    In theory - I haven't really tested it for the rift - but for other application, I was about to USB over wifi before so I know it's possible to already start turning the tracking wireless.

As far as the backpack goes - man, $3.800 for 1.5 hours? D: Not cheap yet, but at that price point it's not super crazy for a business either to start getting into VR. I look forward to seeing more of these in the future. Hopefully they can work on the battery life while not increase the weight (not talking as a home user). Ticket range would be pretty high close to $50 - $100 per person depending on group size and play time. Ovb. you don't want to have a too short of play time (30mins?) so you have to count that in each time plus recharge time. You might be able to get in 3 groups per day at a 8 hour work day.

Some times types/modes I like to see be created for these things are:
    1) VR paint ball (shooters)
    2) Zombie type games (defense, protect, and runners (l4d))
    3) VR Sports
    4) VR Hunted Houses

Hmm what other games would you like to see in a VR space like that if you could?
    Hmm how shock resistant is it. The general public will be falling over in it alot, especially as its not AR.
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016

Hmm how shock resistant is it. The general public will be falling over in it alot, especially as its not AR.
    I asked the same question to the MSI representative, he said it's quite durable, but yeah if you fall over or hit violently a wall with your back, it might be damaged. One guy, while testing it, was jumping up and down to try how stable it was, and one of the two batteries fell out. Keep in mind this is still a prototype, the design might not be final.
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane

... and as Mr.Wilde rubbed the magic lamp a Genie appeared and gave him 3 wishes:

All excited - Mr.Wilde said:

1) OK, I wish I could try out the Oculus Touch Early.

2) I wish in fact I had a job where I could try out lots of new fancy tech and make the forum folk jealous !!

3) Oh yes, and of course I wish I had a massive clock !!!

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    Actually I asked for a massive c#ck, but the Genie thought I said clock... :'(
    Yeah typical techies all the latest cutting edge hardware but can't screw a clock to a wall. :)