New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Tilted view

Comments

• SauSackSauSack Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    ....looks like I can´t make my point of view clear to the support too. Although they answer in interested and polite way, they need (?) a photo of my problem -> the tilted view. Thats really annoying ´cos I have no idea how to take a snapshot of my "tilted" rift which will make sense.
    Every taken photo is not sharp enough nor does it show the approx. 2° tilt like I see it while wearing the headset.
    So no tool for me at all :-/
    Looks like I have stay with my head tilted to the left every time  .......
  • alexchang734alexchang734 Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I have this issue as well. Very very minor, but I would like it fixed
  • dazzlerellisdazzlerellis Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    I have the tool but it errors saying riftdisplay.inf not installed in windows 10? Only other thread I've found said reinstall windows which I don't fancy doing.
  • CothilianCothilian Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited October 2016
    I got my rift yesterday and ofc I have the "left tilt" problem as well. There's like a permanent 5% degree tilt to everything! Been in touch with support and hopefully they will provide me with the tool that can fix it. I can't stand having my world tilted :(:(:( 

I don't understand why there's no a manual offset in the settings? It would so easily fix this! 

Back to using my Gear VR which never seemed to have this problem...

• CothilianCothilian Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited October 2016
    Yeah I saw that thread, thanks. My only problem is the "do it at your own risk" part. I have a brand new 700 euro device and I don't want to throw the dice and ruin my warantee by using this program without proper permissions.

It's sad but until I hear back from support my new Rift is basically a useless brick.
  • ArticateArticate Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited October 2016
    I felt the same way. I have to say that it's at your own risk, because I can't guarantee that it is the right thing for your situation. However, I made the same judgement call, and I found it to be safe for the 700€ device I too have. Worked wonders. It's really only a tool to calibrate the IMU, so I figured it can do little harm. I'm really happy I found it, since it fixed mine right away. I just think it's important to say that I can't guarantee that it'll be the right thing to do, mostly because I don't want people to say I have some part in anything not going as planned.

This is likely the tool you'll end up with after some rounds with support. You could ask them if using the tool is safe.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    You can download the tool off the oculus main site. No need to get it off support anymore.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • ArticateArticate Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Where?
    edited October 2016
    It's hidden in the support pages. Let me Hunt it down

Edit.
    They may have removed it. I'll look again when on my pc, but I definitely got it myself from there. It gave full instructions how to use it also.
  • sgi2000sgi2000 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Strange that they removed it. I have the same tilt issue and the Calibration Tool reduced it to half of the original tilt. I have some additional advices: the top surface of the Rift is curved, so it will lean on one side. You should put something under it, so that Rift is parallel to the floor.
    But in my case I'm going to artificially tilt rift to the side during calibration to remove that remaining tilt.
  • mattnewportmattnewport Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Support sent me the calibration tool but it didn't fix the problem for me. I think it may have reduced the tilt slightly but it definitely didn't eliminate it. This is very much still a problem.
  • markypeamarkypea Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Tilt appears to have become more noticeable or worse recently. Could be because my kids convinced me to play Minecraft, and that has a lot of horizontal lines in it.

I found the tool on link from a Google cache of the Oculus Support page. For me it actually made the tilt much worse. I have re-run the tool several times each time the tilt changes in amount, so I stopped after a run where is was the least. I eventually just accepted that this is a tilt of five degrees I estimate. I also notice in Minecraft it gets worse over the space of forty minutes or so. Stopping for five minutes (putting children to bed) it appears to lessen.

I have to restart the Oculus service to use the Rift again post the tool completing. Also I see that the actual orientation of the device makes no difference, I've run the tool with the Rift flat, right way up, tilted one way and the other, makes no difference. If I could even just get it tilted to the right for a bit, just for a change!

It doesn't ruin the experience, but it is very annoying in Minecraft and just winds me up. Dirt Rally I notice it far less. I also note that keeping the headset on I adjust to the tilt, when I take it off and see the room around me in a different orientation and then put the headset back on it becomes a lot more noticeable.

I saw in Birmingham yesterday you could test out a Rift, and was tempted just to see what their tilt is like, but there was a queue, and it would only depress me either way.
  • loucmachineloucmachine Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same here  @markypea
    But I think that the tilt is worst in winter here and in summer it dissapear.. Thats what it did for me this year haha.
    I also tried to recalibrate many times with no success... no matter the orientation while calibrating.

Have you tried the run_tilt_fix.cmd and revert_tilt_fix.cmd in the IMUCalibration folder ? I am not sure what they are supposed to do but I am too much of a pussy to try them xD 

I hope Oculus will release a way to put an offset manually on axis so we can fine tune ourselves.. Maybe in the oculus debug tool ? that would really be helpful.
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    @loucmachine I agree it must be the colder room temperatures, roll on Summer!!!! Although I have no idea as to why the Calibration software doesn't consider the device to be level when it is running and therefore reorientate itself to the "new" level, seems insane. The PSVR resets everything when you reset the view, not just yaw, but roll and pitch. You just look straight forwards, reset and bam, that is now straight forwards, easy.

The run tilt fix just calls the IMU Calibration exe with no parameters, the revert calls it with a -r added on, that's all. I have never reverted, as ever time I ran it I ran it because it was tilted enough to warrant me running it. If I was unhappy with the results I just unplugged it for an hour and then ran it again.
  • loucmachineloucmachine Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    @markypea Oh I see.. Just opened the .cmd with notepad++ and saw that.. But I am still curious of what the ''-r'' does. I guess it stand for ''revert'' but revert what ? last working parameters ? Factory parameters ? I dont know ...What do you think ?
  • AGluk86AGluk86 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hi guys.

I'm another one who faced with this problem. Absolutely the same behaviour. Tried to perform IMUTempCalibration without "r" parameter. After the calibration was finished, tilt to the left side remained the same. I didn't notice even any changes.
    Also interesting in "r" parameter. What does it do?
    Maybe after the latest firmware update the tool should be updated also?
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,104 Valuable Player
    Argh - why did you guys make me notice this?! Now I can't unsee it :angry:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    NerveGear
    Hi everybody.

I've got IMUcalibration utility from the support. It is still the same version, that is presented here. The calibration also has not solve the problem for me.
    But I've noticed the following: if wear headset upside down (yes, it's very uncomfortable and I had to remove facial interface, but it doesn't metter for testing purposes :) then there was no any visible tilt in VR (at least I can't notice it). Horizon was leveled. But after returning headset to normal orientation, the problem has appeared again and even more noticable after comparing with leveled case.
    Can someone else try it on his HMD?
    Thank you!
    NerveGear
    I've checked again and it looks like in upside down orientation the tilt still takes place.
  • redl121redl121 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Just curious. Anyone try putting a something under the sensor to raise it a little? Like if it is tilting to the left, raise the left sensor.
  • FoggyFreekFoggyFreek Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I have this issue also, a tilt of about 5 degrees to the left, and it's getting really annoying. For me also upside down stays tilted. IMU calibration doesn't have the desired effect, it actually makes it worse :neutral:. Any software fix incoming?
    NerveGear
    I have noticed that after a while, say fifteen minutes, the tilt is worse. Taking the headset off and putting it back on the tilt lessens. I still have about seven degrees tilt, makes games like Minecraft, that have a lot of horizontal lines almost unplayable as it annoys the heck out of me!
  • FunkyLasagneFunkyLasagne Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    I've got this issue too.  I'm currently in the support system - we've tried the calibration tool, but that didn't correct this issue which was disappointing as I was sure it would fix it before running it, so I'm waiting to hear what next. Like others have said, the tilt is only a few degrees but it is incredibly distracting in games with a clear horizon or straight lines.  It is impressive how accurate the body's internal sense of "level" is.
    I'm still holding off on sending my rift in for RMA as I'm sure there will be a software fix one day. Also I'm sure the same error would be present on a different unit anyways 
    NerveGear
    I was going to try getting my rift very cold (like put it in the fridge or outside for a bit over Xmas) and then running the calibration tool. As it appeared to me that the lower the starting temperature the lower the less of a tilt I was left with. However the tool no longer successfully completes for me, I get some time period error and it doesn't write the result to the device. So I am stuck now.
  • jhorikawajhorikawa Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I'm having this issue in 2017. Is this issue fixed?
  • Zero_coldZero_cold Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Having this problem since Aug. Tried imu calibration but it didn't help. Small tilt is still here....
  • FunkyLasagneFunkyLasagne Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    If you still have the problem then have you contacted support about it?
  • Zero_coldZero_cold Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I did. But instead of help they collecting and checking my personal data... What can I say - Oculus is very strange company and I bet they will face big issues with such approach to their users.