cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it project cars! or is it just me?!!

Nij
Heroic Explorer
So I wanted to take my VR experience to a new level and after buying project cars, I thought I'd get a steering wheel and also the playseat challenge and boy after using it a few times, this definately took immersion to a whole new level!

I've never actually had a steering wheel before and I got the logitech G920 (maybe not the best choice of wheels but just thought I could also use it on my xbox one) and all software and firmware are upto date and I'm using the project cars profile within the Logitech software but........ I've been playing it for a good few months now and I'm still just constantly losing control of the cars and crashing all the time and don't seem to be getting any better at handling any of the cars or tracks and I'm beginning to think I may have wasted my money.  Really thought having a steering wheel would make car games soo much easier

I've heard this game is well known for being pretty hard but I'm just wondering is there any set configurations I should be using in the game itself or anything in the logitech gaming software I should be changing to make things easier

I've tried different views aswell as I've always preferred the bonnet or first person view in car games so you can appreciate all the nice scenery but I seem to do better when using the in car view

Really wanna buy dirt rally too but worried about having the same issues

Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
34 REPLIES 34

StreetPreacher
Adventurer

ya it does need to be adjusted right from the start or its uncontrolable

That's odd, I use the default Logitech Momo wheel profile in both Project Cars & Dirt Rally, and play both with all assists turned off, and never seemed to notice a lack of realistic control?

I think the biggest benefit to having a wheel setup is actually the pedals, and how they make it so much easier to modulate power and braking forces around corners.  Sometimes just a slight lift off the accelerator is enough to shift the cars weight sufficiently to take bends at high speed!

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer

Nij said:

So I wanted to take my VR experience to a new level and after buying project cars, I thought I'd get a steering wheel and also the playseat challenge and boy after using it a few times, this definately took immersion to a whole new level!

I've never actually had a steering wheel before and I got the logitech G920 (maybe not the best choice of wheels but just thought I could also use it on my xbox one) and all software and firmware are upto date and I'm using the project cars profile within the Logitech software but........ I've been playing it for a good few months now and I'm still just constantly losing control of the cars and crashing all the time and don't seem to be getting any better at handling any of the cars or tracks and I'm beginning to think I may have wasted my money.  Really thought having a steering wheel would make car games soo much easier

I've heard this game is well known for being pretty hard but I'm just wondering is there any set configurations I should be using in the game itself or anything in the logitech gaming software I should be changing to make things easier

I've tried different views aswell as I've always preferred the bonnet or first person view in car games so you can appreciate all the nice scenery but I seem to do better when using the in car view

Really wanna buy dirt rally too but worried about having the same issues

It's Project cars.
The physics is horrible!!
Dirt Rally is a great game and so is Assetto Corsa, if you want to have good experiences with your wheel in VR.
Sector 3 studios is also working on VR, which is my favorit racing sim.
Hope it won't take them to long. I have a really hard time playing racing games on a flat screen nowdays.. .
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

neddycgoon
Protege
For me its just a matter of staying away from the cars I cant handle until I can take the time to learn throttle control and physics with them.I would be exactly the same in an actual high performance racing machine so for me personally it adds to the realism.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using a FFB wheel with improper settings can really make the car-handling feel totally wrong. Pcars is not the easiest racing-title to set-up FFB either. Some titles have very good FFB-wheel pre-sets that work well straight out of the box, others can require some time to fine tune.

You want to be sure that the base wheel-settings in the Logitech profiler are set for Sim-use as well; most of the effects should be turned off / zero (spring, dampening, etc.) The global FFB force strength setting generally works best at 107%, then you can turn down the FFB in the game settings if it's too strong or you suspect it's clipping.

Once you find the right mix of settings and know what the wheel can do and what feels right to you, tuning becomes easier and you'll be able to find relatively good settings in other titles pretty quickly.

thebaron
Explorer
i also have the logitech G920 wheel shifter and pedals ive tried everything to get dirt rally to work but its messed up ....pedals all wrong and ive spent weeks trying to get it to work but no joy ...can you post back and let me know if you get it to work and how you did it thanks for your time

Nij
Heroic Explorer

Check over at the Project Cars forum page there's a section under PC technical support thats called Jack Spade FFB tweaker this could help you out. Good luck.

just downloaded the zip now, should I just start off with the standard classic folder and do you need to apply the global settings aswell, cheers
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

cybernettr
Superstar
 Project cars is one of those games I don't really try to win, and there are more than one of them.  When you have 15 other cars on the track all jockeying for space and you're trying to pass them on a narrow road without hitting any of them, losing control of your vehicle, or being hit by someone else, it's pretty difficult! I play it more for the experience than attempting to "win." I don't know how professional racecar drivers do it, but I'm obviously never going to be one of them. That's one of the things I like about the more madcap racing games is that you can just be crazy and not worry about being "first."

Radial G is another game I don't think I'll ever master. I think I do pretty well and then the game announces that I am a "failure." VR Karts is more my speed, if you'll pardon the expression.  Blaze Rush is another one that seems to take pity on you and help you out if you get too far behind. 

Bloodlet
Rising Star
Anyone wanting to try Project Cars for FREE. Can get the "Project CARS - Pagani Edition" from steam.
5 cars, 3 tracks and 2 race modes. Standalone demo and with full Oculus/Vive support. 😉

http://store.steampowered.com/app/429180/

Map63Vette
Adventurer
There's definitely a learning curve for every car in any racing game, more so on the "simulation" style games.  I know I had a hard time playing racing games with a wheel without force feedback years ago, then again when I played with a nice wheel and pedal setup, but on a flat screen (might have even been a 3 screen combo, can't remember).  The big issue I had was that I had no sense of speed with flat screen racing.  I couldn't judge a corner that well and I couldn't tell how fast I was going.  That was one of the main things that drove me to buy a Rift.  Was really hoping it would be that final piece of the puzzle.  I can say it has definitely helped, but it's still not quite there.  Ultimately I'd like to have a motion simulator to go with it, but that's a big investment for something that won't get used that often.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

My biggest issue with all racing sims for the Rift is that the car seems to skid or slide a lot more than I expect, based on how real world driving works.  Every car I drive in VR grips the road less than I feel it should.  The sensation of speed just isn't as acute as during real driving, and pretty much everyone who tries my sim rig overshoots their first few corners until they learn to over-estimate the speed and underestimate the braking and grip of the car.  It's driving on ice.

Project Cars actually feels great to me now that I've learned to "feel" the car.  I still wish there was a way for me to detect a slide rather than good grip, but I have enough cues through other means that I can usually react in time.  I think it has more to do with me knowing the limits of where the car will lose grip, rather than actively recognizing a loss of traction due to in-game cues.

Dirt: Rally feels like I'm driving on ice all the time, regardless of road surface.  The FFB settings are very underwhelming and the car seems to slide all over the place no matter what I do.  The game itself is fantastic but the car model feels more like Dirt: Hovercraft to me.

Assetto Corsa refuses to start entirely.  I haven't played it for ages, but I tried to open it through Steam this weekend and it kept crashing on boot.  I may just delete and reload it completely to see if that solves my issues.

For those wondering, I'm using a Playseat SV, Logitech Driving Force GT racing wheel, and no buttkickers or other sim accessories.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke