Who's Ordering Extra Sensors Today and How Many? - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Who's Ordering Extra Sensors Today and How Many?

Comments

• Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    Ordering 1
    Techy111 said:
    Hang on ? 79 dollars to 79 pounds? Bloody Brexit!!!!

Yep, and it will get worse :-)

Any way I've ordered mine, Just need to be told pre-ordered Rifts will be getting their touch and cameras early now ;-)
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • maxx11111maxx11111 Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Techy111 said:
    it has cost mean so much now due to the low value of the pound, but also remember 79 dollars doesnt include sales tax but the 79 pound does include VAT
  • jmalmstenjmalmsten Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ordering 1
    I had literally forgotten about the pre-order of the sensors going live today.. But yeah. I'm getting one. For a total of 3 when the touch package arrives. I want to cover as much of the room as possible. I want my roomservice! :D
    Hiro Protagonist
    Estimated shipping: Dec 13 - Dec 20 i forgot they were on sale today anyone get a earlier estimate?
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 727
    Trinity
    I'm gonna ride out with just the two and see how that goes.  Ill wait for reviews to come in with those who have extra and see if its worth it
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Ordering 1
    Brexit my arse. It's all because they can make more money so they do.
    I'm going for a 2 at the front and one behind set up
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Hiro Protagonist
    elboffor said:
    Brexit my arse. It's all because they can make more money so they do.
    I'm going for a 2 at the front and one behind set up
    no it the value of the pound has dropped a lot so things being imported cost more its simple maths the week before the vote you got $1.50 to the £ now its $1.22 which is a big drop
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,939 Volunteer Moderator
    Waiting to see if I need a third sensor
    Techy111 said:

At this rate Adobe products are going to be 2 pounds to the dollar before long
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Well, for me it will cost 89,00 €. How about that?
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,352 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Ordering 1
    $89us for australia. (At actual tax rate that should be $86.90)
    It's odd how they seem to go with easy numbers around the real value. They rounded down tax on the CV1 to $50 instead of $59.9 and rounded up the tax on the sensor to $10 instead of $7.90. The touch controllers were the closest so far, $20 tax instead of $19.90. Maybe for the CV2 they'll own a calculator with fractions and get the right value. :)

I was thinking of ordering two (mainly for 3 mounted plus 1 that is easily movable for taking with my rift to other places without messing with dismounting things), but the fact the order page only wants a quantity of 1 and knowing how often Oculus cancels orders with no explanation, I'm playing it safe and just getting one.

The sensor has a shipping estimate of a week after the touch, so I guess I'll get to try it with a 2 camera setup.
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,142
    Wintermute
    Ordering 1
    Zoomie said:
    It's funny, but up until this weekend I kept moving my racing chair to replace my gaming chair in front of my PC desk.  Then it occurred to me that my sensor could probably see me just fine where the racing chair is normally stored, and that I didn't have to be facing the sensor for it to work. 
    Yes. I used to have my camera on my desk, but now it's on the floor near the racing chair, where it can see both. It works fine, aside from wobbling a little when I turn away from the camera.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,582 Volunteer Moderator
    I'll see how I do with two (one up high in the corner to my right, and one lower down on my desk to the left).

My office space is pretty small, so a third sensor behind me will be too close to contribute much to the tracking volume.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • AndrewJ71AndrewJ71 Posts: 280
    Nexus 6
    How long is the cable? To put it in the other corner of my room I would need about 6m or so...
    I saw some-one answered that it's 5m. But I don't think that's quite correct.

I believe it actually comes with a 5m extension cable. Meaning that would be added to the length of the usual cable on all sensors (about 2m maybe?)
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane
    Ordered one to get nice room detection in my 25m² living room. Two in front one in the back

"Hi I'm Warbloke, do you like two in the front and one in the back ?"

I might use this as a conversation starter.  I imagine women will love talking about Oculus sensor placement.

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    AndrewJ71 said:
    How long is the cable? To put it in the other corner of my room I would need about 6m or so...

I believe it actually comes with a 5m extension cable. Meaning that would be added to the length of the usual cable on all sensors (about 2m maybe?)
    It's 2.5m + 5m extension :)

I make that 7.5m

Mr Harris' maths lessons weren't a total waste

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    3Jane
    86% of people have good maths skills. The other 24% apparently look sexier.
  • CrowaustCrowaust Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Ordering 2
    nalex66 said:
    I'll see how I do with two (one up high in the corner to my right, and one lower down on my desk to the left).

My office space is pretty small, so a third sensor behind me will be too close to contribute much to the tracking volume.
    I also don't have much space in my room, however will be re-arranging the space once my touch controllers arrive. But for me it's not the tracking volume that I'm worried about it's the blocking of tracking that I'm worried about I'm definitely having issues with 1 when using my leap motion blocking the sensor with my hand/s.

I'm thinking that optimal will either be 3 with them basically at the points of an equilateral triangle or 4 in a square/rectangle, however I hate finding issues and then having to wait for parts to fix it, so I'm heading straight to 4, so that I can test with 3 and keep the 4th as a spare, or if I have issues with 3 I can move straight to 4.
    edited November 2016
    Warbloke said:
    86% of people have good maths skills. The other 24% apparently look sexier.
    that's true... I didn't find Mr Harris at all sexy

3Jane
    Don't tell me.... you didn't like his 'figure'.
  • Nobbs66Nobbs66 Posts: 722 Poster of the Week
    edited November 2016
    I'm doing a 2m x 2.5m for my playspace, so I'll wait and see how two works out.

Also, why ask if people are buying 3? IIRC Home can only handle 4
    i7 5820K @ 4.4ghz | R9 Fury Tri X @ 1150mhz | 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,901 Valuable Player
    i am in the suck it and see camp as well.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    Ordering 1
    Were is the section to buy the sensor? o_o
    Neo
    Ordering 1
    AndrewJ71 said:

Sorry, yes I stand corrected, standard cable length plus a 5m extension cable..
    Zotac 1080Ti
    Neo
    Ordering 1
    Kalec84 said:
    Were is the section to buy the sensor? o_o

https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/rift/

towards the bottom of the page.
    Zotac 1080Ti
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    I'll wait. 89,00 € is a bit too much for me just for one sensor. I don't have a lot of space either. So, maybe I'll get away with just the two.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,352 Volunteer Moderator
    Ordering 1
    Nobbs66 said:

Also, why ask if people are buying 3? IIRC Home can only handle 4
    4 at once.
    But you could buy more than that to have some for travel and some permanently mounted, or for different rooms or something. Or buy 3 to go with the 1 from the CV1, but don't get Touch.

• twisteklabstwisteklabs Posts: 416
    Trinity
    Ordering 1
    I voted for, but decided against buying extra sensor since I will not use it till feb.
    CPU: Intel i5-4690K
    Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR
    Ram: 8GB 1600MHz
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    With my 7x7 feet (~2x2 meters) of VR space I'm closer to a 360° standing requirement then a room scale requirement, and I'm expecting two cameras placed in opposite corners to provide enough tracking for that : Losing tracking with that limited amount of VR space would mean I've wandered too far from the center and should step right back to the center before I extend my arms and bash my hands into something (or someone).
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    How long are the cables on these sensors?