Is it project cars! or is it just me?!! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is it project cars! or is it just me?!!

NijNij Posts: 304
Nexus 6
So I wanted to take my VR experience to a new level and after buying project cars, I thought I'd get a steering wheel and also the playseat challenge and boy after using it a few times, this definately took immersion to a whole new level!

I've never actually had a steering wheel before and I got the logitech G920 (maybe not the best choice of wheels but just thought I could also use it on my xbox one) and all software and firmware are upto date and I'm using the project cars profile within the Logitech software but........ I've been playing it for a good few months now and I'm still just constantly losing control of the cars and crashing all the time and don't seem to be getting any better at handling any of the cars or tracks and I'm beginning to think I may have wasted my money.  Really thought having a steering wheel would make car games soo much easier

I've heard this game is well known for being pretty hard but I'm just wondering is there any set configurations I should be using in the game itself or anything in the logitech gaming software I should be changing to make things easier

I've tried different views aswell as I've always preferred the bonnet or first person view in car games so you can appreciate all the nice scenery but I seem to do better when using the in car view

Really wanna buy dirt rally too but worried about having the same issues

I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D

Comments

• reddeath360reddeath360 Posts: 342
    Art3mis
    I had the same problem what you need to do is set up the ffb look up settings online its a night and day difference
    . I use a thrustmaster t500 rs
  • NijNij Posts: 304
    Nexus 6
    I had the same problem what you need to do is set up the ffb look up settings online its a night and day difference
    . I use a thrustmaster t500 rs
    Cheers, thought this might be the case, I did check out a few tutorials online when I first got the game but just jumped straight in, so might have to look this up again
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
    Art3mis
    ya it does need to be adjusted right from the start or its uncontrolable
    Art3mis
    the same with dirt rally also dirt rally needs more tweeking
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,755 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    Hi Nij,  I had a similar problem setting up my Logitech G25.
    You can change the sensitivity while in--game without changing settings in the Logitech software (pCARS doesn't seem to recognise the Logitech software settings properly) by holding down the 2 centre red buttons on the gear shifter, then while holding them down, press any of the black buttons on the shifter
    Top button sets deflection limit to 240 deg
    Left button, 450 deg
    Right button, 670 deg
    Boot m button 900 deg
    Set the view to in-car and change the deflection setting until your wheel movement matches the in-game wheel.
    This works with the G25 & G27, not sure about other wheels
    Cheers
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
    Art3mis
    that is not what needs to be adjusted in project cars on the other hand dirt rally does need this adjustment
  • INkabodpainINkabodpain Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Check over at the Project Cars forum page there's a section under PC technical support thats called Jack Spade FFB tweaker this could help you out. Good luck.
    Nexus 6
    Cheers everyone, I'll check it out!
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,175
    3Jane
    I bought it and refunded inside of 2 hours play ( most of which were in menu) for the reason OP describes. Takes too much fiddling to not spin wildly out of control entering a corner or leaving one and a steering wheel is probably best which increases the entry fee by a lot. I tried but couldn't get into it.  
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    ya it does need to be adjusted right from the start or its uncontrolable
    That's odd, I use the default Logitech Momo wheel profile in both Project Cars & Dirt Rally, and play both with all assists turned off, and never seemed to notice a lack of realistic control?

I think the biggest benefit to having a wheel setup is actually the pedals, and how they make it so much easier to modulate power and braking forces around corners.  Sometimes just a slight lift off the accelerator is enough to shift the cars weight sufficiently to take bends at high speed!
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 339
    Trinity
    Nij said:
    So I wanted to take my VR experience to a new level and after buying project cars, I thought I'd get a steering wheel and also the playseat challenge and boy after using it a few times, this definately took immersion to a whole new level!

I've never actually had a steering wheel before and I got the logitech G920 (maybe not the best choice of wheels but just thought I could also use it on my xbox one) and all software and firmware are upto date and I'm using the project cars profile within the Logitech software but........ I've been playing it for a good few months now and I'm still just constantly losing control of the cars and crashing all the time and don't seem to be getting any better at handling any of the cars or tracks and I'm beginning to think I may have wasted my money.  Really thought having a steering wheel would make car games soo much easier

I've heard this game is well known for being pretty hard but I'm just wondering is there any set configurations I should be using in the game itself or anything in the logitech gaming software I should be changing to make things easier

I've tried different views aswell as I've always preferred the bonnet or first person view in car games so you can appreciate all the nice scenery but I seem to do better when using the in car view

Really wanna buy dirt rally too but worried about having the same issues

It's Project cars.
    The physics is horrible!!
    Dirt Rally is a great game and so is Assetto Corsa, if you want to have good experiences with your wheel in VR.
    Sector 3 studios is also working on VR, which is my favorit racing sim.
    Hope it won't take them to long. I have a really hard time playing racing games on a flat screen nowdays.. .
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
  • neddycgoonneddycgoon Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    For me its just a matter of staying away from the cars I cant handle until I can take the time to learn throttle control and physics with them.I would be exactly the same in an actual high performance racing machine so for me personally it adds to the realism.
  • deanogurdeanogur Posts: 456
    Nexus 6
    Using a FFB wheel with improper settings can really make the car-handling feel totally wrong. Pcars is not the easiest racing-title to set-up FFB either. Some titles have very good FFB-wheel pre-sets that work well straight out of the box, others can require some time to fine tune.

You want to be sure that the base wheel-settings in the Logitech profiler are set for Sim-use as well; most of the effects should be turned off / zero (spring, dampening, etc.) The global FFB force strength setting generally works best at 107%, then you can turn down the FFB in the game settings if it's too strong or you suspect it's clipping.

Once you find the right mix of settings and know what the wheel can do and what feels right to you, tuning becomes easier and you'll be able to find relatively good settings in other titles pretty quickly.
  • thebaronthebaron Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    i also have the logitech G920 wheel shifter and pedals ive tried everything to get dirt rally to work but its messed up ....pedals all wrong and ive spent weeks trying to get it to work but no joy ...can you post back and let me know if you get it to work and how you did it thanks for your time
    Nexus 6
    Check over at the Project Cars forum page there's a section under PC technical support thats called Jack Spade FFB tweaker this could help you out. Good luck.
    just downloaded the zip now, should I just start off with the standard classic folder and do you need to apply the global settings aswell, cheers
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 908
    3Jane
    edited October 2016
     Project cars is one of those games I don't really try to win, and there are more than one of them.  When you have 15 other cars on the track all jockeying for space and you're trying to pass them on a narrow road without hitting any of them, losing control of your vehicle, or being hit by someone else, it's pretty difficult! I play it more for the experience than attempting to "win." I don't know how professional racecar drivers do it, but I'm obviously never going to be one of them. That's one of the things I like about the more madcap racing games is that you can just be crazy and not worry about being "first."

Radial G is another game I don't think I'll ever master. I think I do pretty well and then the game announces that I am a "failure." VR Karts is more my speed, if you'll pardon the expression.  Blaze Rush is another one that seems to take pity on you and help you out if you get too far behind. 
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 733
    3Jane
    edited November 2016
    Anyone wanting to try Project Cars for FREE. Can get the "Project CARS - Pagani Edition" from steam.
    5 cars, 3 tracks and 2 race modes. Standalone demo and with full Oculus/Vive support. ;)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/429180/

• Map63VetteMap63Vette Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    There's definitely a learning curve for every car in any racing game, more so on the "simulation" style games.  I know I had a hard time playing racing games with a wheel without force feedback years ago, then again when I played with a nice wheel and pedal setup, but on a flat screen (might have even been a 3 screen combo, can't remember).  The big issue I had was that I had no sense of speed with flat screen racing.  I couldn't judge a corner that well and I couldn't tell how fast I was going.  That was one of the main things that drove me to buy a Rift.  Was really hoping it would be that final piece of the puzzle.  I can say it has definitely helped, but it's still not quite there.  Ultimately I'd like to have a motion simulator to go with it, but that's a big investment for something that won't get used that often.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

My biggest issue with all racing sims for the Rift is that the car seems to skid or slide a lot more than I expect, based on how real world driving works.  Every car I drive in VR grips the road less than I feel it should.  The sensation of speed just isn't as acute as during real driving, and pretty much everyone who tries my sim rig overshoots their first few corners until they learn to over-estimate the speed and underestimate the braking and grip of the car.  It's driving on ice.

Project Cars actually feels great to me now that I've learned to "feel" the car.  I still wish there was a way for me to detect a slide rather than good grip, but I have enough cues through other means that I can usually react in time.  I think it has more to do with me knowing the limits of where the car will lose grip, rather than actively recognizing a loss of traction due to in-game cues.

Dirt: Rally feels like I'm driving on ice all the time, regardless of road surface.  The FFB settings are very underwhelming and the car seems to slide all over the place no matter what I do.  The game itself is fantastic but the car model feels more like Dirt: Hovercraft to me.

Assetto Corsa refuses to start entirely.  I haven't played it for ages, but I tried to open it through Steam this weekend and it kept crashing on boot.  I may just delete and reload it completely to see if that solves my issues.

For those wondering, I'm using a Playseat SV, Logitech Driving Force GT racing wheel, and no buttkickers or other sim accessories.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Zoomie said:

My biggest issue with all racing sims for the Rift is that the car seems to skid or slide a lot more than I expect, based on how real world driving works.  Every car I drive in VR grips the road less than I feel it should.  The sensation of speed just isn't as acute as during real driving, and pretty much everyone who tries my sim rig overshoots their first few corners until they learn to over-estimate the speed and underestimate the braking and grip of the car.  It's driving on ice.

I think you nailed the 'issue', and it's not the control, but the sense of speed.  If you've ever been to a track day then you'll see the same thing, people always overestimate their cornering speed, understimate the speed they're actually travelling at, and almost always start braking way too late.

There is definintely a decreased sense of speed in Pcars vs real life, but next time you're sliding around a corner do me a favour and check your speedometer, and you'll probably notice that you're travelling far faster than you would be if taking that corner in real life. ;)

And I've actually noticed quite a bit of variety in the Dirt Rally surfaces.  Snow/Ice and gravel are easy to do hairpin e-brake slides around compared to ashphalt, for instance.  And in rally racing you're almost always slightly 'airborne' so traction is always lacking.  The trick is to tap the brakes before a corner to transfer the weight and grab some much needed traction ;)
    I have done track days.  I've actually noticed a lack of traction during corners which I have taken, at that speed, in real life.  I understand what you're saying but even at reasonable speeds in Dirt Rally I find the car slips sideways as if it is on ice.  You mention rally cars being always slightly 'airborne' but there's a difference between intermittent grip and a consistent lack of grip.  With Dirt I can slide sideways on asphalt at 40km/h whereas a normal car would protest, roll, and start to squeal before starting a skid - and that's if you really held in the lock.  In PC and in Dirt, the car just happily stays flat and slides sideways.  No nose dip.  Minimal body roll.  No squeal of tires or associated let off of steering pressure when the wheels lose road resistance.  Just WHEEEEEEE!  That's what I'm having issues with.

I also really find braking underwhelming.  I owned a lightly modified Evo X and if you slammed on the brakes the car stopped in a hurry.  It was almost frightening how quickly a car can decelerate with big brakes and a good stomp on the stop pedal.  Braking hard in real life actually gets my heart going with how sudden it happens.  Braking hard in Dirt Rally feels like a gentle deceleration.

One thing I've considered is that maybe the game is trying to simulate a skid caused by too much brake pressure on the pedal.  That's fine, but with no pedal feedback on pretty much every wheel or controller in existence, how exactly is a player supposed to realize they've over-cooked a corner and are sliding instead of braking?  Furthermore, all modern cars have ABS or some form of driver aid that would keep an immediate skid from happening.  I can accept this with a Group B rally car, but modern cars should judder their way to a stop regardless of how heavy my foot slams down.

I'll keep playing with settings and I'm happy to take suggestions, but for the moment it's tough to really get a feel for what is happening with the car.  I completely agree that lack of speed indicators is a major contributor, but I also feel like car movement and noise cues could go a long way.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • Map63VetteMap63Vette Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Can't say for sure how it works on Dirt or with your steering wheel, but with my Thrustmaster setup the first time you hit the brakes it saves that value as the maximum pedal travel.  If you hit it harder than that later it will register the new max (at least in Assetto Corsa).  The trick is to press the pedal real hard at the start of the race to get it set and then you actually get some modulation.  I can usually tell lock-up by FFB in the wheel and tire noise.  In AC you get a bit of a skipping sound when ABS kicks in if you have it enabled.  Some of the race cars in that game will stop in a hurry.  I know I've done the new Lotus "F1" car and the first few laps I would brake so early I'd have to get back on the throttle to get to the corner.  Racing the same track back to back in a Formula Abarth open wheel and a Ferrari 599XX Evo was pretty eye opening.  Way different experience and characteristics to those cars.  The "heavy" 599 had way more power so I've have higher speeds approaching a corner, but longer brake times because of the extra speed and weight.  Have to relearn all your braking points.
    I'm hoping AC starts working again for me.  Then I'll have new things to enjoy (and complain about).
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    I suck at it to - sadly I think I enjoy the arcade racers better, but damn it's cool in VR!
  • BaronVonDoonBaronVonDoon Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Zoomie said:
    I'm hoping AC starts working again for me.  Then I'll have new things to enjoy (and complain about).
    Not much to complain about with AC, it's by far the best driving experience with the Rift imo...once you get the nausea problems fixed. 
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Of course practice. You also really need to understand the ffb in pcars as well, leave TF at 75 & i would start by leaving the DZR to start with then tune it later if you need to. You need to get the relative adjust, scoop & steering gain well balanced. If you are using jack spade files there should be plenty of feedback in the back end as he uses sop. I tend to do without sop.  
    Nexus 6
    nrosko said:
    Of course practice. You also really need to understand the ffb in pcars as well, leave TF at 75 & i would start by leaving the DZR to start with then tune it later if you need to. You need to get the relative adjust, scoop & steering gain well balanced. If you are using jack spade files there should be plenty of feedback in the back end as he uses sop. I tend to do without sop.  
    I'm just about to try the Jack Spade files, should I just start off with the standard classic first and do I need to do the global settings too?
    Nexus 6
    Woah just implemented these files and what a difference jeez!!

Tried a few Audi's and of course the karts and I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere now and when I crash I know it's definately my fault and it feels l'm getting slightly better at it finally!

Happy days!! :)

Really wanna get dirt rally but keep waiting for the price to drop!!
    Never heard of the Jack Spade FFB tweaker.  I will look into it and thanks for the feedback (pun intended)
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,755 Valuable Player

I never really had a problem with the ffb compared with other sims but now I'm wondering if I should try the tweak anyway

The biggest problem I have with VR racing is messing about, looking around too much, just enjoying the VR side of it and not concentrating enough on the driving

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)