New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift loses randomly HDMI connection

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,060 Volunteer Moderator
    I swapped around my USBs to different slots, based on a comment in another support thread. (The error message says HDMI is disconnected, but some comments in the event log suggest that the software is restarting the HMD due to USB issues.)

I haven't had the problem since doing that, so hopefully that does it. Weird though, I haven't had any USB issues since I got my Rift, and I checked and didn't see any recent driver updates for the USB controllers.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    FIXED PERMANENTLY

This time I waited for nearly a week and confirm not one single error, all this time you just need to un-install all the devices associated with USB, what has happened is that at some point your usb controllers drivers have become corrupted. I am SO happy to have resolved this issue so I know how everyone feels. Anyway, thanks to a chap called Slim Shady this is what you do:
    First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.
    Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". 
    This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following
    process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as 
    FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. 
    Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: Remember, you'll be without your mouse and/or keyboard so you'll
    either need an old PS2 keyboard or leave in your mouse and keyboard drivers.

Who is John Galt?
      • dan_e10dan_e10 Posts: 24
        Brain Burst
        I have been experience HMD disconnect issues lately.  Once I noticed it was HDMI, but I don't think that's always the case.  Sometimes I get a bunch of disconnects and then it will go for a long period of time without any trouble.  Both my HMD and the sensor are plugged into USB 3.0 on an Inateck card.  The HMD shows up as USB 2.0 though.
        Dan
      • YbalridYbalrid Posts: 248
        Art3mis
        Got a replacement unit, playded a bit about it, no disconnects for now.

If somebody is interested into how quick Oculus could replace a unit in this case, if anybody is interested to know...

• I contacted them 08/18 about my problem.
        • they requested logs and serial number the 19th
        • they requested a shipping address the 20th
        • they sent a shipping label the 24th
        • I droped the package at an UPS access point the 25th
        • The NL warehouse (I'm in France) got the package the 30th (because, there's a thing called week end)
        • Email with tracking number the 30th
        • Rift at home today (september the 2nd)

CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
        For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
      • maorgrmaorgr Posts: 4
        NerveGear
        edited September 2016
        I *think* I was able to resolve my issue of random HDMI disconnecting by unchecking the "allow computer to turn off" in the rift sensor menu
        and in the power settings, disabling the USB selective suspend settings.

I love my rift and my titan x <3

• Cmbarr01Cmbarr01 Posts: 2
        NerveGear
        Well i just went through the HDMI issue headset would randomly loose the hdmi connection . It would also error out the driver kernel of my 1070 video card on occasion. after going back and forth with Oculus for about a week they decided to send me a cable . tried that for about a week with no Improvement . now they have finally sent me a return shipper to get it replaced
      • XMercXMerc Posts: 108
        Hiro Protagonist
        Honestly doubt that's the problem. There seems to be a lot of software/driver/firmware conflicts that are the root cause of these disconnects from both the HMD and Camera Sensor.
      • GV_JamieGV_Jamie Posts: 1
        NerveGear
        FIX...for mine. The cable has a clip on the left side, towards the back... that keeps the cord connected to the headset as added support. Get it out from this clip. Pull off the plastic part that sits on your eyes(not the foam), then you can pull the cord out from the headset and then pull the clip back so it then has no support from this. Have been playing for the last few hours, perfect. I'd find that when you take off the head support (or even just some head movement when you were about to start playing) would move back slightly which would pull on the cable, disconnecting it from the headset.
        I've been having these problems, any movement or mostly taking it off would disconnect. Frustrating. Only have Project Cars to play. Hopefully this helps out a few!!! Cheers.
      • FiegeFiege Posts: 69
        Hiro Protagonist
        GV_Jamie said:
        FIX...for mine. The cable has a clip on the left side, towards the back... that keeps the cord connected to the headset as added support. Get it out from this clip. Pull off the plastic part that sits on your eyes(not the foam), then you can pull the cord out from the headset and then pull the clip back so it then has no support from this. Have been playing for the last few hours, perfect. I'd find that when you take off the head support (or even just some head movement when you were about to start playing) would move back slightly which would pull on the cable, disconnecting it from the headset.
        I've been having these problems, any movement or mostly taking it off would disconnect. Frustrating. Only have Project Cars to play. Hopefully this helps out a few!!! Cheers.
        I honestly hope, it'll do the trick for you!

Like a lot of people here, I tried everything and always thought I got a solution. As others I also applied a simple strain relief to prevent the cable from being pulled. And sometimes I managed to play for a while without issues. But alas after some time the issue got worse and in the end it turned out to be a faulty HMD.

The replacement works like charme.
      • SCDarkySCDarky Posts: 8
        NerveGear
        I've been having no luck running the Rift since I got it at launch (HDMI not detected). It used to work sometimes when replugging the USB or the HDMI, but never reliably. I contacted them a little while later (I kept trying and hoping it gets better, believing it was a software problem) and ended up getting a HDMI Cable replacement, but unfortunately that didn't do the trick either. Replugging and changing slots does nothing. Now a month later I'm trying to follow up on it and see what we can still do. It's honestly very depressing for me, I've pre-ordered the thing full of happiness right away and Hobby-like developed stuff on it but I had to stop doing that since it doesn't work properly. I feel heartbroken honestly. It's just not how i saw this going. I still pre-ordered the Touch in the hopes Oculus helps me to get the Rift to run.

How did you guys get a replacement unit? They seem to work for you.
        Hiro Protagonist
        ...by contacring support, describing the issue and if you can reproducability as precisely as possible as well as attaching log files. You'll probably have to show a bit of patience, since things take a while, but once analysis is done and they'll tell you to return the broken device, it'll be pretty fast.

All in all I had a really good customer support experience.
      • scoda06scoda06 Posts: 1
        NerveGear

DNACowboy's fix steps above allowed me to go back into iracing and I am now able to adjust (squeeze) the headset without the disconnect  issue... Its a first! Was never able to adjust headset on face before following each step as advised.. Thanks very much!

Hopefully the issue doesnt return.. Not holding my breath yet.. So much for oculus coming up with solution other than replacing cables and asking for log files and then replacing headsets... what a joke...
      • SCDarkySCDarky Posts: 8
        NerveGear
        OK now I got my Rift working flawlessly for the first time, at least for now. I connected the HMD to a USB2 port instead of USB3 or USB3 Hub. It now seems to be detected every time. Mind you this is with the replacement cable they sent me. The same USB2 slot did not work before on the old cable, so I didn't retry it until after I got in touch with support again.

I'll report if it stops working again I have to try more games and my Unity projects more in detail, but several restarts and quick tries later it still is detected and working just fine.

• cgwilsoncgwilson Posts: 6
        NerveGear
        Hi, I am having issues with my headset - the computer keeps telling me, after about 10 minutes of gameplay, that the headset is not plugged in. Happening all the time now. I have checked all my drivers are up to date etc but now I wish I had bought a HTC  one instead
      • cgwilsoncgwilson Posts: 6
        NerveGear

Any suggestions customer support? Seems like this is a common issue so why no fix yet?

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
        Can you checked the wire connection on the HMD side? You'll need to pull out the facial interface and look on the left side.
        AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
        Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
      • AkAseoAkAseo Posts: 17
        NerveGear
        This is fairly rampant and can appear even after all USB/power management/driver fixes etc, the fact it is reproducible and occurs when gently handling/adjusting rift in use seems to point to faulty hardware. I can use my rift for hours with no issue as long as I do not touch it/adjust it, as soon as I do, hdmi disconnects. A reminder if you live in U.K. like me you are protected by consumer rights act 2015 and the vendor must replace, if less than 6 months old the fault is deemed to have been present since purchase by default, so no need to wait on Oculus RMA process, do not let your vendor palm you off.
      • CrispyRHCrispyRH Posts: 2
        NerveGear
        I have had HDMI problem for a while. Most of the time it just doesn't connect, and on occasions the disconnection could happen while gaming.  

Initially by re-plugging the HDMI port on the graphic card could solve the issue. I then ran out of luck with this. 

Later I had some luck by updating video driver etc, sometimes by rolling back to older versions and sometime by re-installing the current up-to-date version.  This worked 2-3 times in total. 

Today, all those methods failed. I was very frustrated. 

I then learned that I can remove the foam on the HMD, and disconnect the HDMI plug that is previously behind the foam.  After plugging it back in again, it worked. 

It worked. 

My conclusion: updating drivers will help, but is not essential. The whole issue is a stupid cable issue.  The cable would go bad gradually, manifesting in a 'software' type issue in the beginning, but is still essentially a physical connection issue.  
      • shim2shim2 Posts: 480
        Nexus 6
        edited November 2016
        This is so fucking frustrating. Oculus doesn't respond to support tickets. I'm sitting here, literally a week later with no response other than "We'll get back to you" I know/knew Oculus support was shit, but come on. It should never, ever take a week to respond to a damn support ticket. Meanwhile over on Reddit there are posts where Support is responding to questions about Touch like that is actually important.

Oculus, you guys are shit. So fucking shit. But it's not like you actually care. So that's nice.
      • TC1999TC1999 Posts: 184
        Art3mis
        edited November 2016
        So sad my 1st post after some time is that I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. 

Tried all the usb fixes and brought the inateck card but still once the unit warms up and I adjust it all goes black and the hmd disconnects. I then tried moving the cable to see if I could force it to do it and yep low an behold if I push the cable towards the hmd it goes "your headset hmdi cable is not pluged in". 

I finally accept defeat and have opened a ticket, let see what happens..... so sad and bloody frustrating. 

Love vr but I have to say once somebody brings out a solid unit with good support I will probably jump ship. 

Please Oculus don't let these issues turn into an avalanche of unhappy customers because eventually this will damage reputation and sales in the future. 

Whats so odd about this issue is how at appears to get worse over time and not just a simple hardware failure (which I'm now convinced is) and with this odd behaviour creates the impression its a software issuer. 

Oh well lets see what will happen.....
        Nexus 6
        edited November 2016
        TC1999 said:

Please Oculus don't let these issues turn into an avalanche of unhappy customers because eventually this will damage reputation and sales in the future.
        See, for that to be the case they actually have to display some form of care. This is done in how well they handle issues with their hardware/software. And countless, literally countless posts here and on /r/Oculus show they just don't give a shit.

I don't think Oculus wants to be the leader in VR. Their lack of advertising shows it. Their lack of decent support shows it. The insane amount of time it takes to have something as simple as an RMA resolved shows it. They just don't give a damn. I'm tired of pretending and hoping things will change. This is Oculus, this is what the company is about. Selling you a product that hardly works, giving you software that is glitchy and buggy.

I've started another support ticket about this no HDMI connection issue because my first ticket, a week later, hasn't had any real response other than they will get back to me. It's just fucking shit. I don't know how else to describe it without profanities. Because they are appropriate. Oculus has been from Day 1 a company with shit, SHIT customer service. And it isn't changing any time soon.

TC1999 said:

Love vr but I have to say once somebody brings out a solid unit with good support I will probably jump ship.

I can not wait until a company comes in and crushes Oculus. They are in no way deserving of being the "leaders" in VR tech.

And think about it like this. They have Facebook backing them up. They have the means to have better customer service. They have the means to respond to tickets in a timely manner. They have the means to properly respond to RMA's and turn them out in a timely manner. They just don't. Why? Because they don't give a fuck. Paying what we did for these glorified paperweights doesn't matter in the least.

As hard as that may be to accept, it's clearly the reality of the situation. And that is a damn shame.
        NerveGear
        edited November 2016
        Returned mine to vendor today, they didn't have another in stock so issued a full refund on the spot, I drove to another store a few miles up the road and bought another, also qualified for their Black Friday deal and got £100 oculus home voucher code, happy to say new one works like a charm, I can now remove and replace it or adjust it while gaming without the hdmi connection dropping out so for me at least was definitely a hardware issue. 
      • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 321
        Trinity
        edited November 2016
        AkAseo, I had the same problem as you. My first Rift started getting it a few weeks after receiving it. They replaced it. The replacement had it on day one. They today send me an email that they would like to replace it again.

While this is of course not the fun I expected to have, bad luck just happens. I can say that while they don't answer super fast I always recevied my answers after a couple of days without having to push them, I just did exactly as they asked, tried to give as much relevant information as possible and tried to be polite.

For now I don't feel great about having received and returned 2 broken Rifts but I do feel that support genuinly tries to help me. With some luck I receive a perfectly fine Rift around the same time my Touch arrives!
        Nexus 6
        @Thmoas, are they not QC checking these Rifts before shipping? That's unacceptable. Oculus seems to be on a downward spiral with how a company should operate.
      • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
        Rift does go through QC before leaving the factory, but defects can always happen with any product.
        AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
        Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
        Nexus 6
        Rift does go through QC before leaving the factory, but defects can always happen with any product.
        While that is true, it does seem that the Rift has a higher than "normal" failure rate. Since it's a first wave consumer product it probably isn't that out of the ordinary. I frequent quite a few forums for games that have VR support and the number of people reporting No HDMI connection seems to have skyrocketed with 1.10 auto update.

It might be wise to put a bug in the correct persons ear to further investigate if 1.10 is inadvertently causing failure of HMD's. Who knows, maybe they're already aware, given the longer than normal response time from support. They may be flooded with tickets surrounding this issue. But that's pure speculation on my part.
        NerveGear
        edited December 2016
        Now over two weeks since i got my replacment rift, and the issue has not returned, not a single disconnect or tracking loss. Can't believe I spent weeks trying to configure USB, drivers etc refusing to accept my rift was just broken. QC does seem to be a problem and this issue in itself I have seen reported over and over. My advice to anyone with this problem, exchange it and hope for a good one you won't regret it, I just wish there weren't so many forum posters running around telling everyone that it's anything but the HMD thats broken, masking this problem. My advice, if it doesn't seem right, then it's not right, get it exchanged. I can now game perfectly, remove the headset sit it down, put it back on, adjust it etc without it dropping out, in other words, it works and I havent had to tinker with my pc at all.
      • TC1999TC1999 Posts: 184
        Art3mis
        Good to hear your rift is working AKAseo, had to return mine on Friday due to hdmi issues. Hoping the replacement will work well and gone are the HDMI issues.

I managed to recreate my issue by putting down pressure on the swing arm next to the cable going into the hmd. Doing this created the HDMI not connected warning. 

Have to say support was very good for me I had responses to my emails within 24 hours and they where very prompt in issuing a replacement unit.  
        Hiro Protagonist
        shim2 said:
        While that is true, it does seem that the Rift has a higher than "normal" failure rate...
        Mine disconnected the first time I used it, so 100% DOA.

AkAseo said:
        Now over two weeks since i got my replacment rift, and the issue has not returned, not a single disconnect or tracking loss. Can't believe I spent weeks trying to configure USB, drivers etc refusing to accept my rift was just broken. QC does seem to be a problem and this issue in itself I have seen reported over and over. My advice to anyone with this problem, exchange it and hope for a good one you won't regret it, I just wish there weren't so many forum posters running around telling everyone that it's anything but the HMD thats broken, masking this problem. My advice, if it doesn't seem right, then it's not right, get it exchanged. I can now game perfectly, remove the headset sit it down, put it back on, adjust it etc without it dropping out, in other words, it works and I havent had to tinker with my pc at all.

I've been there as well. I tried so many things and even spent money on counter measures, like upgrading to Win10 Pro to try the custom energy saving policy (I still think it's useful since I never experienced any sensor issues)

Finally there was no more dodging the replacement for me. Replacement was quick, support was fast and polite and most important of all: not a single issue since!

Hiro Protagonist
        shim2 said:
        While that is true, it does seem that the Rift has a higher than "normal" failure rate...
        Mine disconnected the first time I used it, so 100% DOA.

AkAseo said:

I've been there as well. I tried so many things and even spent money on counter measures, like upgrading to Win10 Pro to try the custom energy saving policy (I still think it's useful since I never experienced any sensor issues)

Finally there was no more dodging the replacement for me. Replacement was quick, support was fast and polite and most important of all: not a single issue since!

I hope the touch controllers arriving tomorrow are OK, fingers crossed.