cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obduction VR: Turning around

mca
Honored Guest
I hoped Obduction VR had free turning around. Seems it has just 'blink turn' as its intense setting. 
Is there a way to activate free turning ?

Regards
mca
30 REPLIES 30

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
lol - if you turn your head left and still want to go straight, just move the joystick to the right. Etc. 😐

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

lol - if you turn your head left and still want to go straight, just move the joystick to the right. Etc. 😐

Or i could just use the joystick to turn in the direction I want to go in the first place.   😉

It's unnatural, and compensating for it isn't very natural and smooth. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I got used to it after playing games like Technolust, Albino Lullaby, and Nevermind. Although I think at least one of those titles has the option to "move the direction you're facing" which can be enabled/disabled. I love options so it would be nice to see this with Obduction. Someone should definitely submit the request to the dev team.

In my case, I've played at least 3 first person perspective games where my hands simply became used to compensating for head-direction movement. I don't even think about it anymore, it just happens naturally.

The Obduction dev team is incredibly responsive to the community. If you submit the request I bet they would include it in a future update. Hell, it might even be an option in the current Config file.

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
Yeah, I had the same problem with AliceVR.  Couldn't handle all the shifting around.  It's a little more subtle with Obduction, which is good.  I normally use teleportation with VR games, but with Obduction I find I like using the free movement with snap rotation, but it could be improved.  It could use another subdivision for the degrees of rotation, and of course turning off the head-direction drift.   I'll see about submitting the request, thanks for the tip.  

vrmower
Heroic Explorer

agenttoff said:

I'm okay with the snap turning.  I prefer it, but I really don't like the way it moves towards the direction you're looking when you walk.  I just want to be able to move STRAIGHT as I look around.  We do this in life, why not in VR?  I don't start veering off to where I'm looking.  Aside from that, very cool game so far.  

This is my biggest issue with Obduction.  Looking around while moving is painful.

VR is awesome because you are in the game and get to look around anywhere.  In Obduction when you do it while traveling feels jarring and sends you where you don't want to go.  It forces you to look straight ahead only where you want to go or else.  It encourages exact opposite behavior it should be encouraging for VR. 😞

Would be awesome if there were either a toggle or momentary button to decouple camera and strafing is huge.

After playing a few hours of overload (descent reboot) with 6DOF controls (keyboard+mouse) and fully decoupled head movement sitting mostly above the cockpit (alpha build no recenter) it was incredibly awesome.  Felt fine the whole time.  Forever changed my opinion of what can work - what is possible to get away with in VR.

Applecorp
Rising Star

agenttoff said:

I'm okay with the snap turning.  I prefer it, but I really don't like the way it moves towards the direction you're looking when you walk.  I just want to be able to move STRAIGHT as I look around.   

Yeah it's so odd it does that, in fact a few other games do it too, The Solus Project being one example.

If I look left when walking down the street in real life I don't start drifting to the left, lol.

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
That's probably what it was that turned me off of The Solus Project.  

Bavinck1331
Protege
Strafe with the left stick. Took me ages to get used to it but I can now look around without having to change the direction I am walking

DarkTenka
Trustee
Woohoo!ntwigbels said:

I found this on the Steam forum about todays update and can confirm its working :smile:

Hot Fix - 1.3.4 for VR

4 NOVEMBER - GREY DRAGON
Hot-fix, for VR only! A setting is now available for those who want to play with smooth-turning in Free movement mode. This setting is NOT recommended for most players, only experienced VR users who know what they're doing, as it can easily cause discomfort or even sickness. Use at your own risk! 

As this was created as a quick update, for now the setting can only be changed by editing a config file. If you'd rather not edit this file, we will be providing this setting as a menu option in an upcoming larger update (roughly planned for end of next week). 

To enable: 
  • make sure you have launched the game at least once in VR, and that the game is not currently running 
  • from Windows desktop, click Start or press the Windows key on your keyboard, and enter this: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Obduction\Saved\Config\ConfigVR\WindowsNoEditor 
  • using a text editor, such as Notepad, open the GameUserSettings.ini file 
    find the setting named FreeIntenseSmoothTurning, change it from false to true, and save the file
Smooth-turning in Free mode will now be enabled.

Woohoo! We got through!

I can only hope that this is a sign of things to come as developers begin to realise that it is acceptable to include smooth turning in your game, at least as an option.

Spyrde
Protege

KillCard said:

Woohoo!ntwigbels said:
Woohoo! We got through!

I can only hope that this is a sign of things to come as developers begin to realise that it is acceptable to include smooth turning in your game, at least as an option.I

I second that, Im getting sick and tired of being treated like a baby when it comes to movement/turning in vr games. Thanks devs for giving us the option.