cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

biggest disappointment

Mane_Vr
Protege
so now that vr is here and some of us has spent time gaming in it.  I was wondering what would you say is ur biggest disappointment in gaming in vr? For me, it has to be the teleporting locomotion and the fact most dev like 4A games won't even offer us other options. so as many people will find their game enjoyable
it's all about the games... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClB-X7Pp9kEirCJpRvMc3cg
154 REPLIES 154

Warbloke
Superstar
NTSC videos  = Never The Same Colour. (Or 'Color' if you are American and spell things funny)
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

AoS.Wasted
Expert Protege
My biggest disappointment is that you can't disable the message about not having the recommended specification 😞 my system gets very high scores in every VR benchmark / I have all the right USB ports / everything is working really great but still I can't disable this message plastering my fov everywhere.... damn.. 😞

zboson
Superstar

For me it's lack of progress with the interface. Home still feels like a cobbled together beta, something I wasn't expecting 8 months down the line. In a world of online social interactions, plus Oculus being run by the biggest proponent of that on the planet, that I can not even send a basic text to a friend at this point is crazy. I know Steam has been out for a lot longer but look at the setup there, it's very slick. Home doesn't even have video clips with VR. If I vote for a title, I no longer get to see what it is rated at any more, I just keep getting told what score I gave. This may all sound like picky stuff, but a clunky interface from a company with bottomless pockets, who regardless of the hardware had years to work on this, it all makes you question where's their commitment to the customer experience, rather than commitment to 'how do we make a s**t load of money.

Other than that I'm all good

I think it's pretty clear that Oculus wants control of the content people purchase for their products. They don't want Valve having this with Steam. Microsoft wants the same thing with their store which Valve is not to happy about to say the least. Blizzard does the same thing with BattleNet.

So Oculus has to waste time and money on Oculus Home which could have been better used for VR development and we as users have to bear with a poor replacement for Steam (I'm not refering to SteamVR which might be more suited for the Vive anyway) in the short term. In the long term I think the idea is that this will pay off for Oculus financial and Oculus Home will be a lot better by then for the users.

zboson
Superstar

Warbloke said:

NTSC videos  = Never The Same Colour. (Or 'Color' if you are American and spell things funny)

Color is appropriate since NTSC is for North America not for Europe. You guys have/had PAL. 

And if you want to stick closer to the french spelling why do you say the h in herb as the French don't say this? I know Eddy Izzard says you say the h because "There is a fricking h in it" but there is a fricking h in hour also and I don't hear anyone saying the h.  Okay, I guess we both say the h in hotel even though the French don't say it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5H7cgcpkg

Warbloke
Superstar

Sure, Ok, I will give you that...  but you will never win until the day we can say 'Fanny Pack' without smirking  😛

edit: 

also... when we told you to drive on the right side of the road... we meant the 'correct' side. 😛 😛 😛

zboson
Superstar
I can't say fanny pack without smirking now either. I have been living outside of the US for a while now and I had a British flatmate in the US (whose mom strongly preferred that I said flatmate rather than roommate as you would in the US) who taught me the British meaning of fanny.  Hmmm...maybe that does not sound so good.

Warbloke
Superstar
yeh, one does imply you are sleeping with them... in the same room, and one suggests you are living together in a flat. 
I guess it depends on the context: "My friend got run over by a steam roller once - then he was my flatmate"

zboson
Superstar
I'm glad to see this thread is headed in the right direction now.

Warbloke
Superstar
You mean the 'correct' direction.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
biggest disappointment.... ok so i know it is totally unrealistic NOT to expect this but.. my biggest dissapointment is fragmentation.
vive not properly supported on oculus store
Sony tapping up 3rd party devs for exclusive VR content

VR is a niche within a niche, i know its totally naive to expect anything else but it would be nice to see them more united at least at the start.

hardware wise tho, i am happy with my rift.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂