cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

biggest disappointment

Mane_Vr
Protege
so now that vr is here and some of us has spent time gaming in it.  I was wondering what would you say is ur biggest disappointment in gaming in vr? For me, it has to be the teleporting locomotion and the fact most dev like 4A games won't even offer us other options. so as many people will find their game enjoyable
it's all about the games... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClB-X7Pp9kEirCJpRvMc3cg
154 REPLIES 154

EliteSPA
Superstar

Zenbane said:

There are other Vive users that are capable of speaking without letting blind biased and hate-posting take over. Shadowmask, for example, was an avid Vive user. Yet he contributed to this forum with screenshots and official game reviews. The instructional thread that @Shadowmask72 made to illustrate the power of Subnautica single-handedly outshined all of the contributions from Atmos and Ronson combined.

I agree that any community can thrive when multiple viewpoints, opinions, and preferences are allowed to be expressed. As long as it is constructive, intellectual, insightful, meaningful, and goal-oriented (e.g. trying to further the industry for everyone). People like Atmos offer none of that.

What about me?  I sold my Vive :wink:
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Congrats on the real-life upgrade!

I think @cybereality needs to make a new esteemed forum title for those members who sell their Vive. You all deserve proper recognition 😄

kojack
MVP
MVP
For me, number one disappointment is god rays. Especially since I've spent most of my VR hours in Elite Dangerous. It's fine in most bright software, but horrible in dark space with bright glowy hud stuff. It makes the experience feel like I've just woken up.

Other annoyances (no particular order, but less than the god rays):
- Oculus home has had 7 releases, but we are still stuck in the same room with no customisation. At the absolute minimum, it should have different views like Big Screen. Preferably it should have a pet to play with. I've seen people spent 15min just playing with the dog in The Lab. If you give us a house scene as the home screen, we should be able to do SOMETHING with it.
- Forced updates that need admin permissions (VERY inconvenient at my work)
- No offline installer
- Health and safety warning
- the games I run the most (Elite and Euro Truck Sim 2) don't change audio to rift automatically, if I forget I need to exit the game.
- Oculus home always pops up and you need an account, even for things I write myself.
- Why doesn't the reset view option in Oculus Home work on Oculus Home?

(Oh, and I still don't like the way that in the C++ sdk you have to use a texture created by the sdk instead of one you made yourself. OpenVR lets you use your own texture, and the old oculus sdk did too. It just adds extra delay to the rendering pipeline when working with an engine that wants to manage texture memory itself)

It just feels like the whole oculus home software is half assing the VR side while focusing on the store. Sure, the store is important for Oculus, but so far it's a house, not a home. No customisation and nothing home related to do, it's just a backdrop to a store and nothing has changed since it's release.

Rift still rocks though. 🙂

(I feel sorry for people who didn't experience pre-DK1 consumer VR and don't realise how amazing the present is)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ntwigbels
Expert Protege
I'm very disappointed that Robinson The Journey is a PS4 exclusive 😞

danknugz
Superstar
My penis

Or should I say the smallest disappointment for many a lady
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Greyman
Superstar
even more so if you can get the software but not the hardware  😉

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star

So Oculus has to waste time and money on Oculus Home which could have been better used for VR development and we as users have to bear with a poor replacement for Steam (I'm not refering to SteamVR which might be more suited for the Vive anyway) in the short term. In the long term I think the idea is that this will pay off for Oculus financial and Oculus Home will be a lot better by then for the users.

I certainly hope so. Maybe the next release will be a lot more than incremental and they will roll a lot of new features in at the same time. 

Also, knowing that Oculus vet the submissions before allowing them onto the store, I'm surprised how lenient they are in letting so many titles through that have no soft exit option, making you exit manually from the setup screen to quit out. It's another thing that breaks the continuity of the overall experience. 

zboson
Superstar
@kojack

Oculus should give the ED devs some money to update ED to better handle god rays. I think a lot of the god rays issues could be addressed through software. Though for ED maybe this would require changes which are too drastic.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

zboson said:

I can't say fanny pack without smirking now either. I have been living outside of the US for a while now and I had a British flatmate in the US (whose mom strongly preferred that I said flatmate rather than roommate as you would in the US) who taught me the British meaning of fanny.  Hmmm...maybe that does not sound so good.

What about when americans say they went to a bar and brought back a growler?

zboson
Superstar

TwoHedWlf said:

zboson said:

I can't say fanny pack without smirking now either. I have been living outside of the US for a while now and I had a British flatmate in the US (whose mom strongly preferred that I said flatmate rather than roommate as you would in the US) who taught me the British meaning of fanny.  Hmmm...maybe that does not sound so good.

What about when americans say they went to a bar and brought back a growler?

I'm afraid I don't get your reference. I have not lived in the UK. I used to hang out with several friends from Northern England particularly those that spoke Mancunian and it took me maybe three weeks before I did not have to say "what did you say" every other sentence but I'm afraid I don't converse with many British peeps anymore. I'm not sure I even know what a growler is in the US. Is that like a 2l container of beer or something?