biggest disappointment - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

biggest disappointment

Comments

• WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane
    NTSC videos  = Never The Same Colour. (Or 'Color' if you are American and spell things funny)
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
  • AntonieBAntonieB Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    My biggest disappointment is that you can't disable the message about not having the recommended specification :( my system gets very high scores in every VR benchmark / I have all the right USB ports / everything is working really great but still I can't disable this message plastering my fov everywhere.... damn.. :(
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    For me it's lack of progress with the interface. Home still feels like a cobbled together beta, something I wasn't expecting 8 months down the line. In a world of online social interactions, plus Oculus being run by the biggest proponent of that on the planet, that I can not even send a basic text to a friend at this point is crazy. I know Steam has been out for a lot longer but look at the setup there, it's very slick. Home doesn't even have video clips with VR. If I vote for a title, I no longer get to see what it is rated at any more, I just keep getting told what score I gave. This may all sound like picky stuff, but a clunky interface from a company with bottomless pockets, who regardless of the hardware had years to work on this, it all makes you question where's their commitment to the customer experience, rather than commitment to 'how do we make a s**t load of money.

Other than that I'm all good

I think it's pretty clear that Oculus wants control of the content people purchase for their products. They don't want Valve having this with Steam. Microsoft wants the same thing with their store which Valve is not to happy about to say the least. Blizzard does the same thing with BattleNet.

So Oculus has to waste time and money on Oculus Home which could have been better used for VR development and we as users have to bear with a poor replacement for Steam (I'm not refering to SteamVR which might be more suited for the Vive anyway) in the short term. In the long term I think the idea is that this will pay off for Oculus financial and Oculus Home will be a lot better by then for the users.
    edited November 2016
    Warbloke said:
    NTSC videos  = Never The Same Colour. (Or 'Color' if you are American and spell things funny)
    Color is appropriate since NTSC is for North America not for Europe. You guys have/had PAL. 

And if you want to stick closer to the french spelling why do you say the h in herb as the French don't say this? I know Eddy Izzard says you say the h because "There is a fricking h in it" but there is a fricking h in hour also and I don't hear anyone saying the h.  Okay, I guess we both say the h in hotel even though the French don't say it.

3Jane
    edited November 2016

Sure, Ok, I will give you that...  but you will never win until the day we can say 'Fanny Pack' without smirking  :P

edit: 

also... when we told you to drive on the right side of the road... we meant the 'correct' side. :P :P :P

edited November 2016
    I can't say fanny pack without smirking now either. I have been living outside of the US for a while now and I had a British flatmate in the US (whose mom strongly preferred that I said flatmate rather than roommate as you would in the US) who taught me the British meaning of fanny.  Hmmm...maybe that does not sound so good.
    3Jane
    yeh, one does imply you are sleeping with them... in the same room, and one suggests you are living together in a flat. 
    I guess it depends on the context: "My friend got run over by a steam roller once - then he was my flatmate"
    I'm glad to see this thread is headed in the right direction now.
    3Jane
    You mean the 'correct' direction.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,992 Valuable Player
    biggest disappointment.... ok so i know it is totally unrealistic NOT to expect this but.. my biggest dissapointment is fragmentation.
    vive not properly supported on oculus store
    Sony tapping up 3rd party devs for exclusive VR content

VR is a niche within a niche, i know its totally naive to expect anything else but it would be nice to see them more united at least at the start.

hardware wise tho, i am happy with my rift.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Zenbane said:

There are other Vive users that are capable of speaking without letting blind biased and hate-posting take over. Shadowmask, for example, was an avid Vive user. Yet he contributed to this forum with screenshots and official game reviews. The instructional thread that @Shadowmask72 made to illustrate the power of Subnautica single-handedly outshined all of the contributions from Atmos and Ronson combined.

I agree that any community can thrive when multiple viewpoints, opinions, and preferences are allowed to be expressed. As long as it is constructive, intellectual, insightful, meaningful, and goal-oriented (e.g. trying to further the industry for everyone). People like Atmos offer none of that.
    What about me?  I sold my Vive :wink:
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,384 Valuable Player
    Congrats on the real-life upgrade!

I think @cybereality needs to make a new esteemed forum title for those members who sell their Vive. You all deserve proper recognition :D
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,453 Volunteer Moderator
    For me, number one disappointment is god rays. Especially since I've spent most of my VR hours in Elite Dangerous. It's fine in most bright software, but horrible in dark space with bright glowy hud stuff. It makes the experience feel like I've just woken up.

Other annoyances (no particular order, but less than the god rays):
    - Oculus home has had 7 releases, but we are still stuck in the same room with no customisation. At the absolute minimum, it should have different views like Big Screen. Preferably it should have a pet to play with. I've seen people spent 15min just playing with the dog in The Lab. If you give us a house scene as the home screen, we should be able to do SOMETHING with it.
    - Forced updates that need admin permissions (VERY inconvenient at my work)
    - No offline installer
    - Health and safety warning
    - the games I run the most (Elite and Euro Truck Sim 2) don't change audio to rift automatically, if I forget I need to exit the game.
    - Oculus home always pops up and you need an account, even for things I write myself.
    - Why doesn't the reset view option in Oculus Home work on Oculus Home?

(Oh, and I still don't like the way that in the C++ sdk you have to use a texture created by the sdk instead of one you made yourself. OpenVR lets you use your own texture, and the old oculus sdk did too. It just adds extra delay to the rendering pipeline when working with an engine that wants to manage texture memory itself)

It just feels like the whole oculus home software is half assing the VR side while focusing on the store. Sure, the store is important for Oculus, but so far it's a house, not a home. No customisation and nothing home related to do, it's just a backdrop to a store and nothing has changed since it's release.

Rift still rocks though. :)

(I feel sorry for people who didn't experience pre-DK1 consumer VR and don't realise how amazing the present is)
  • ntwigbelsntwigbels Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm very disappointed that Robinson The Journey is a PS4 exclusive :(
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    My penis

Or should I say the smallest disappointment for many a lady
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,313
    Wintermute
    even more so if you can get the software but not the hardware  ;)
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    So Oculus has to waste time and money on Oculus Home which could have been better used for VR development and we as users have to bear with a poor replacement for Steam (I'm not refering to SteamVR which might be more suited for the Vive anyway) in the short term. In the long term I think the idea is that this will pay off for Oculus financial and Oculus Home will be a lot better by then for the users.
    I certainly hope so. Maybe the next release will be a lot more than incremental and they will roll a lot of new features in at the same time. 

Also, knowing that Oculus vet the submissions before allowing them onto the store, I'm surprised how lenient they are in letting so many titles through that have no soft exit option, making you exit manually from the setup screen to quit out. It's another thing that breaks the continuity of the overall experience. 
    @kojack

Oculus should give the ED devs some money to update ED to better handle god rays. I think a lot of the god rays issues could be addressed through software. Though for ED maybe this would require changes which are too drastic.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    zboson said:
    I can't say fanny pack without smirking now either. I have been living outside of the US for a while now and I had a British flatmate in the US (whose mom strongly preferred that I said flatmate rather than roommate as you would in the US) who taught me the British meaning of fanny.  Hmmm...maybe that does not sound so good.

What about when americans say they went to a bar and brought back a growler?

TwoHedWlf said:
    zboson said:

I'm afraid I don't get your reference. I have not lived in the UK. I used to hang out with several friends from Northern England particularly those that spoke Mancunian and it took me maybe three weeks before I did not have to say "what did you say" every other sentence but I'm afraid I don't converse with many British peeps anymore. I'm not sure I even know what a growler is in the US. Is that like a 2l container of beer or something?
    zboson said:
    TwoHedWlf said:
    zboson said:

I'm afraid I don't get your reference. I have not lived in the UK. I used to hang out with several friends from Northern England particularly those that spoke Mancunian and it took me maybe three weeks before I did not have to say "what did you say" every other sentence but I'm afraid I don't converse with many British peeps anymore. I'm not sure I even know what a growler is in the US. Is that like a 2l container of beer or something?
    British slang, a growler is a nasty hairy vagina.
    zboson said:

Oculus should give the ED devs some money to update ED to better handle god rays. I think a lot of the god rays issues could be addressed through software. Though for ED maybe this would require changes which are too drastic.
    Space needs to be black. Hud info needs to be visible.
    Either they make space lighter (then we get into a situation like Elite 2 and Elite 3 where space was blue and looked crap) or they make the hud info really dark.
    I really don't see a way that a game like Elite can normalise the entire screen brightness so godrays aren't noticeable.

Some questions should go unanswered...

:(
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Teleportation and Snap Turning, The Development Fear of VR Sickness, and general FUD all round by everyone.

If every game just offered me the option of free locomotion and smooth turning my VR library would increase ten fold. If Developers grew some balls and just made good shit for VR or even just added HMD support to their normal flat screen games, we would be having far less problems integrating VR into society as a whole.
  • JohnMadduxJohnMaddux Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    @kojack go into the ship controls (right hand menu) under the functions tab you'll see an interface brightness setting. Adjust it to dim your ship controls. That should help reduce the god rays.
    Agreed on the need for options @KillCard

Remember though, it takes time for balls to drop, so if developers waited until they perfected their engine and camera implementations, we'd all be sitting here with like 3 games :o
    @kojack go into the ship controls (right hand menu) under the functions tab you'll see an interface brightness setting. Adjust it to dim your ship controls. That should help reduce the god rays.
    Yeah, even turning them down a couple notches reduces the godrays from unobtrusive un noticable.  I laughed the first time after playing on my rift for a few hours I noticed the god rays.  People were losing their shit over them and I'd played for hours without even seeing them?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,046 Volunteer Moderator
    for all your bluster @Zenbane, you do come out with some gold nuggets of clarity from time to time
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • JohnMadduxJohnMaddux Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    I still have to be looking for them to notice, but the dimmer switch is a nice feature to have.
    I already run the interface at half brightness. less than that and the sde becomes too obvious. Even at minimum, god rays can still be seen from the larger interface parts (like the centre panel when docked). Plus the other parts of the scene that the ui brightness doesn't affect.